No level cap

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Bad Santa
Novice

Re: No level cap

Post by Bad Santa » April 24th, 2012, 5:44 pm

KeltecRFB wrote:/signed

I understand the company needs to make money but do that through continuous updates to the game and allow us to increase in level. Perhaps in addition, make the game dynamic and it auto adjusts to our level. I guess Fallout New Vegas kind of does this now?

f8k no! The game is done, stop spewing rehashed halfbaked overboiled sequels and remakes, take the money, go get laid and GET ANOTHER IDEA. That's the damn problem, and its what I love about this game being developed. The company does NOT need to make more money. Wringing tattered rags a la EA and Ubisoft for those few extra drips of lucre makes for games with about as much imagination as wet oatmeal in a kitchen sink. Embarking on a creative endeavour to make money invariably results in an insult to the artist that produce something forgettable, dull and in the end something on some scale of irritating and the audience that has to "consume" it.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 24th, 2012, 5:46 pm

Bad Santa wrote:The company does NOT need to make more money.
Point of order: they haven't made a red cent on this game.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Fuzi0n
Explorer

Post by Fuzi0n » April 27th, 2012, 9:33 am

Every RPG has a level cap, seeing that it can only have a limited amount of content (obviously). The game could have either a hard cap or a soft cap:
  • Hard Cap: The game enforces a maximum limit for the character's level. No additional experience can be gained.
  • Soft Cap: The game does not technically have a maximum level, but after a certain level it becomes very hard to increase levels and the benefits either diminish rapidly or vanish.
I personally would prefer a soft cap, but it doesn't really matter to me. The benefits of soft cap over a hard cap are minimal, practically non existent... But it would be nice to see that my XP is not totally going to waste.

You probably would hardly even notice a level cap (a soft cap at least) if the game is very well designed. If the designers do a little math and figure out the maximum possible XP (level < area < region < world), then they could make the game cap (soft or hard) only towards the end of the game. Which would be optimal in my opinion.
"I'm trying to make this game appeal to people who like the old school roleplaying games from the 90s, not just Wasteland, [...] it's Fallout, it's Baldur's Gate, it's that whole genre of [...] good old party based games [...]"
-Brian Fargo

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » April 27th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Some games can literally be "endless". For instance, in Skyrim, even after you have completed EVERY hard-scripted quest, the program will continue to generate "Go kill this bandit" quests from the several Jarls. All that is required is to go talk to the Steward and ask if there are any jobs that need being done. Tramping around Tamriel killing things and bandits can earn the PC Exp Pts endlessly. If there is NO hard level cap specified in the program, there is still a limit set for the Limit variable in the program. As in, "Limit = X. LimitX = 1 to ____." The number specified in ____ can be any number that the programmers feel to be out of play. It could be 99, 999, 9999, etc., depending on just how wide they want the field to be to show the PC's current level. In the old DOS, games, most upper limits were equal to 255 (256 being a significant number in computerese). If that variable exceeded 255, that field rolled back to 1. In fact, most variables that exceed their specified limits usually roll back to zero. As programmers learned just how many players like to grind their variable stats, they simply started to set limits to be really, really high. These days you will rarely, if ever, hit the upper limits.
Last edited by CaptainPatch on April 27th, 2012, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Fuzi0n
Explorer

Post by Fuzi0n » April 27th, 2012, 5:07 pm

Skyrim has a soft cap (I am pretty sure about this)
"I'm trying to make this game appeal to people who like the old school roleplaying games from the 90s, not just Wasteland, [...] it's Fallout, it's Baldur's Gate, it's that whole genre of [...] good old party based games [...]"
-Brian Fargo

suz
Adventurer

Post by suz » April 27th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Fuzi0n wrote:Skyrim has a soft cap (I am pretty sure about this)
Yep it does, at 81, a pretty long grind(need to raise every skill to 100 or so)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 27th, 2012, 11:13 pm

I'd call that a hard cap. You only level when you raise enough skills. Once all skills are level 100, you can't level any more.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

suz
Adventurer

Post by suz » April 28th, 2012, 3:02 am

Drool wrote:I'd call that a hard cap. You only level when you raise enough skills. Once all skills are level 100, you can't level any more.
Ah, I skimmed over the soft word =p Well technically there's stuff like this, provided mod kit allows access to that.

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » April 28th, 2012, 10:15 pm

A level cap is not a problem.

A level cap low enough that you can easily reach it and render further experience meaningless while still having much of the world left to explore *IS* a problem.

Look at Legend of Grimrock for an example. I assume it has a level cap. There is not enough experience in the game to reach it without grinding on the relatively few respawning enemies, however, and even if there were, it would require a close approximation of forever to do so. Thus, the question is moot.

Fallout 3 did it poorly. Going through the game + all DLC, I reached the level cap with 2 and a half DLC's left to play and part of the main quest as well. That's just not enough levels available for the content in the game, which makes the content itself less appealing.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

Imbunche
Novice

Post by Imbunche » April 29th, 2012, 2:49 pm

I like level caps.

But thats just me.

obsidian-blade
Initiate

Post by obsidian-blade » March 25th, 2017, 4:15 pm

I hope there is no level cap i hate it when i am 1\4 of the way through a massive open world rpg and i am maxed out like Fallout 3 .. it pisses me off and makes me not want to play the rest of the game

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » March 26th, 2017, 4:35 am

obsidian-blade wrote: ↑
March 25th, 2017, 4:15 pm
I hope there is no level cap i hate it when i am 1\4 of the way through a massive open world rpg and i am maxed out like Fallout 3 .. it pisses me off and makes me not want to play the rest of the game
Good point. I am all for no level cap, but only if:

1. leveling is REALLY slow.
2. each new level matters/makes a difference.

So if there are players who want to farm xp every now and then to get one or two levels and can live with the fact that battles are not designed for their party - let them. It was done that way back in the days when there were no different difficulty settings if I remember right. Can't win a fight: come back some levels higher. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.