Happy fifth anniversary!

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Jozape
Scholar

Happy fifth anniversary!

Post by Jozape » March 5th, 2017, 5:50 am

Today is exactly five years after inXile opened the Wasteland 2 forums and moved the conversation off Twitter. That is when the revival became real to me rather than a bunch of fans tweeting at Brian to just throw Wasteland 2 onto KickStarter. Also, it helped that it was my birthday probably. That was an unusual day for me.

Wasteland 2 wasn't what most of us wanted but it was good and we got many more classical style role-playing games as a result: Shadowrun Returns, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, The Banner Saga, The Banner Saga 2, Pillars of Eternity, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Divinity: Original Sin, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Tyranny, Dead State, and a few more that have been released and a few more that haven't released yet, the most prominent being The Banner Saga 3, The Bard's Tale 4, Pillars of Eternity 2, and obviously Wasteland 3! Maybe Obsidian's mystery project is one such game too. All of these happened as a result of Broken Age's and Wasteland 2's success, either directly or indirectly. Some of these are even good! ;) And I must say -- though I am only a bit more than 20 hours into my first playthrough -- T:ToN is amazing and possibly the best role-playing game I have played since Wasteland*. If this quality continues, I may have to place T:ToN in the same category as Wasteland and PS:T themselves.

*I first played it in 2010 or 2011 -- I can't remember exactly when now -- along with PS:T. I was late to the party. :(

inXile's fortunes have been in some ways better than these other developers and in some ways worse than these other developers. For one, inXile had the biggest most exciting campaigns and they're the ones who got to take on the massive responsibility of making another Torment game. On the other hand, community engagement and development transparency has been comparatively bad and the other developers have done a much better job of keeping their fans engaged. Here's to hoping inXile can recreate the kind of community atmosphere seen at the other major KickStarter developers that we used to have here.

Happy anniversary! Also, tomorrow is the fourth anniversary of the T:ToN KickStarter campaign.