PATCH 4?

If you need assistance with a technical is sue with The Bard's Tale IV, this forum is for you. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

svdp
Acolyte

PATCH 4?

Post by svdp » November 19th, 2018, 10:43 am

Is there any news about a future patch 4?

I'm not one of those whining players and I can put up with 20-25 FPS and a lot of minor inconveniences, but even after patch 3, I still get some crashes, and framedrops to...2 FPS!

Now, I've tried to help before, with patch 2, and now after patch 3, with a dxdiag and eventviewer and such, which I send you guys. I hope you received it?

I was just wondering if there was news for an update (patch 4?) since it still crashes now and then, and on the roadmap given by InXile, nothing is shown for after patch 3 (or 3.1). And if it's been worked on, can one give a broad indication when it would possibly be released?

Eelectrica
Initiate

Re: PATCH 4?

Post by Eelectrica » November 20th, 2018, 12:53 am

Waiting for news on Patch 4 myself before re-installing. Is it still happening?

svdp
Acolyte

Post by svdp » November 20th, 2018, 10:20 am

Eelectrica wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 12:53 am
Waiting for news on Patch 4 myself before re-installing. Is it still happening?
As far as I know, it was more or less confirmed, though the post 3.1 patch wouldn't just be a bug-fix, but also some additional features, if I understood correctly. Like a better inventory system, some more diversity of male/female characters when you start, maybe some mechanism (in-game or not) to redeem your skill points, etc. At least that was from some dude on the steamforums that worked for InXile, as I recall.

Maybe that's why it's taking longer than expected for the next patch, compared to the others?

It would be nice to know something more, though. If not the date, than at least the assurance it's coming.

For me, the main issue is the crashes. Though, to be honest, I can't complain too much (as I've seen loads of others do), I only had a sporadic crash now and then. Maybe in total 3-4 times, and I've put more than 100 hours gameplay in it. So it's not devastating, just annoying if/when it happens.

I'm actually pretty positive of The Bard's Tale 4. I don't know why people whine so easily, nor do I understand their attitude, safe for people that actually get constant crashes. But for the rest: sweating the details is not my thing. Now and then I get the 'blinking' inventory as well, even after patch 3. I just cope with and and continue, instead of complaining it's 'unplayable'. Of course it's still playable - if you're not wussies. And by the next loading it's ok again, so it's really not *that* big of a deal. I mean: ok, better not have that, but people are so oversensitive, these days. I think these snowflakes never played an old-school game in their life, because THAT was way harder than this.

But anyway, I'm curious about the next patch: anyone knows anything, here? Do InXile employees check these posts out?

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » November 20th, 2018, 11:47 am

On that flashing inventory thing, I've had it so bad that the inventory does indeed become unusable. As in, disappears. It forced a game restart. That was a long time ago and I haven't booted it up for weeks, but bugs can certainly be more than just minor inconveniences to some people. Some things I can live with, some things not. And your and my thresholds may be quite different than other people's =P
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » November 20th, 2018, 12:01 pm

svdp wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 10:20 am

But anyway, I'm curious about the next patch: anyone knows anything, here? Do InXile employees check these posts out?
only one of them, and he only reacts to praise.

As for the patch and when it comes: i guess they are still trying to figure out a way to tell us that gridbased movement will never come and find an excuse for it, so they wont look like liars.

svdp
Acolyte

Post by svdp » November 20th, 2018, 12:55 pm

thebruce wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 11:47 am
On that flashing inventory thing, I've had it so bad that the inventory does indeed become unusable. As in, disappears. It forced a game restart. That was a long time ago and I haven't booted it up for weeks, but bugs can certainly be more than just minor inconveniences to some people. Some things I can live with, some things not. And your and my thresholds may be quite different than other people's =P
Oh yes, that is what I meant too. Sometimes it got worse enough to completely be gone... though note it never is really 'gone', it's just blackened. I mean, you can still hover over it and see what is in it, and equip it, etc. But it's as you say: our threshold may be different. But objectively speaking, it didn't make it unplayable, and the proof is in eating the pudding: I continued to play, even without seeing the inventory. The moment you went somewhere and it loaded the new part again, it was back to being visible again, so it wasn't really that big of a deal. So you don't need a game restart, you just need to go somewhere else, where the game needs to (re)load. And, if you have a good memory like I do, you can find most stuff back, even 'blindfolded' as it were, and you still could see what it was if you hovered over it, by the description-window. (Just saying, for if you didn't know.)

So, the level of annoyance felt towards these things may differ, but it's still demonstrable wrong that it made it unplayable. The only thing that really makes it unplayable is the crashes. An FPS of 2-3 makes it near unplayable as well. But most things people complained about, were just some inconveniences. Not saying the bugs shouldn't be removed, far from it. But sometimes, I felt people were making too much of a deal out of some things, while it's perfectly possible to ignore those minor annoyances. Depends on one's attitude, of course.

I actually enjoyed it, and I'm still enjoying it. I had some of the annoyances as well; slow FPS and a few crashes being the most aggravating. For the rest it was reasonably ok with the bugs, the inventory turning black included. Granted, maybe I was lucky. As said, I had 2-3 crashes (2 of which on a box that was below minimum specs) and 4-5 'inventory blackouts' and extremely low FPS area's (got better when I set my settings a bit lower, though, especially the shadows and special effects - though I always kept my surrounding visuals pretty high, because it looked awful on low, that). I've played something like 120 hours, so all in all, it didn't strike me as all that bad.

In contrast, I found the combat and the puzzles engaging for the most part, and in general I'm enjoying the game; it's quite fun. So what are a few minor hickups, and less than a handful of major hiccups, compared to 120+ hours of amusement? One should place things in perspective, me thinks.

Of course, other people on other machines may have had other experiences, so I'm not judging them in front. I just thought some people complained and whined a bit too much over things that weren't all that dramatic, nor should have prevented enjoying the game, unless you LET it sour your game, if you know what I mean. When you manage and limit your expectations from the start (it was never meant to be an AAA game, after all), and try to enjoy the things that are there, and grit your teeth a bit if there is some temporary inconvenience, the game really is enjoyable, with the right attitude. Again, not saying they shouldn't address the issues or denying they're there. But it's as much due to how you COPE with those issues, than with the issues itself, that makes the difference whether one can enjoy the game or not, me thinks.
Last edited by svdp on November 21st, 2018, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » November 20th, 2018, 1:51 pm

KorganBloodAxe
Acolyte

Post by KorganBloodAxe » November 21st, 2018, 1:39 am

Lanatir wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 12:01 pm
As for the patch and when it comes: i guess they are still trying to figure out a way to tell us that gridbased movement will never come and find an excuse for it, so they wont look like liars.
Egg on face?

svdp
Acolyte

Post by svdp » November 21st, 2018, 3:19 am

sear wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 1:51 pm
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=19919

It's here! :)
Yes, I know! It was weird. Less than an hour of my last post asking about patch 4, I got a mail from an exile representative saying thanks for my bug-diag-contribution and the notification a new patch was out! ;-)

Hopefully, the crashes, extreme low FPS and inventory blackening has been resolved or reduced starkly, and I see they also implemented the 'save anywhere' option (which never was a deal-breaker for me; don't understand why some people praising old-school RPG's complain about it, because almost NO real old-school RPG's ever had that, and always used save-points to begin with...). But also the re-speccing of a skill; that one I thought useful and good they've now implemented; you could already do that with most old-school RPG's back in the day as well. I also like that fact they made the solution in-game; you need to use mercenary-stone for it, which is cool. And it gives more use to that stone after the first 1-2 for mercenaries (I never changed my whole party to them).

And I also see they tweaked Conjurors mark. darn. I used that a lot with my two wizards. ;-p But truth be told, it was a bit OP, so they were right in tweaking it a bit.

Well, this latest patch sure looks promising!

O yeah, for the guy complaining about the grid-based thing: apparently, they implemented that as well, as an option.
Last edited by svdp on November 22nd, 2018, 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » November 21st, 2018, 6:20 am

the grid-based thing: apparently, they implemented that as well, as an option
Yep, that was always a promise with the legacy mode once implemented
@thebruce0

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » November 21st, 2018, 4:50 pm

KorganBloodAxe wrote:
November 21st, 2018, 1:39 am
Lanatir wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 12:01 pm
Egg on face?
Too early to tell - it is marked as a beta feature. Needs play time to see how well it shakes out.
Given the lengthy silence between patch 3 and patch 4, after having a well-communicated patching plan for patches 1 through 3, I can understand how Lanatir and others might wonder if there was still a commitment to improving this not-well-received game. From a business perspective, one could see how they might wish to cut losses by continuing to invest in something that alienated most of a fan base and failed to satisfy most of the more general audience.

If you see an egg on someone's face, you can probably keep forum tensions lower by not trying to rub it in their face.
cmibl<enter>

KorganBloodAxe
Acolyte

Post by KorganBloodAxe » November 22nd, 2018, 1:57 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
November 21st, 2018, 4:50 pm
Too early to tell - it is marked as a beta feature. Needs play time to see how well it shakes out.
No it is "not too early to tell". Grid based movement is now officially in the game - I'm playing with it. "they are still trying to figure out a way to tell us that gridbased movement will never come" is an absolute statement which has now been proven wrong.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » November 22nd, 2018, 11:32 am

KorganBloodAxe wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 1:57 am
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
No it is "not too early to tell". Grid based movement is now officially in the game - I'm playing with it. "they are still trying to figure out a way to tell us that gridbased movement will never come" is an absolute statement which has now been proven wrong.
Yeah. 131 Players on average on Steam Charts. I wonder who has got this egg on their faces, me, or the company that spent several million of their kickstarter funders money to make a game that less people want to play than fit into a swimming pool.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » November 22nd, 2018, 4:36 pm

KorganBloodAxe wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 1:57 am
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
The feature has only been available to playing public for a couple of days now. Given the small number of people playing the game, it might take awhile for people to find places that they can't access with grid-based movement or whether anyone will find it worthwhile if they still have to use the mouse to look around and interact with objects in the environment. While it may now be implemented in some form, time will tell whether players think it is in a usable form. If it's not in a usable form, then it's as good as not available.
cmibl<enter>

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » November 22nd, 2018, 9:27 pm

One thing that is good about it, movement in the maps is MUCH faster and direct.
@thebruce0

KorganBloodAxe
Acolyte

Post by KorganBloodAxe » November 22nd, 2018, 10:10 pm

Lanatir wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 11:32 am
I wonder who has got this egg on their faces, me
Poor attempt at diversion. Own up to your own failure.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » November 23rd, 2018, 2:04 am

KorganBloodAxe wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 10:10 pm
Lanatir wrote:
November 22nd, 2018, 11:32 am
I wonder who has got this egg on their faces, me
Poor attempt at diversion. Own up to your own failure.
Like Inxile does?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 23rd, 2018, 2:19 pm

Man, how'd that goal post get all the way over there?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

svdp
Acolyte

crash post-patch 4 (second sight)

Post by svdp » November 25th, 2018, 9:43 am

I wish to report a crash (fatal error) everytime I end the last fight in the underground cavern thingy in the Wolf Area, for the Wand of Peace quest (forgot the exta name).

Everytime I tried it, the moment I defeated that burning tree monster there (the first), it crashed and I had to restart.

I managed to get through it, by using my other PC, play the same thing - it went thotugh this time, and then let steam sync and then play further on my better PC (where the crash occured). It seemed to be working after that just fine.

I'm not sure if the error was there before patch 4, since I didn't do the quest before it was installed. But it sure is happening, even after patch 4.

So...anyway… do I send a dxdiag and eventviewer-log to the same adres as usual?

svdp
Acolyte

patch 5?

Post by svdp » December 13th, 2018, 9:17 am

I've been out of the loop for some weeks, so...: is there any word on a patch 5? (post patch second sight, thus)?

I still had the occasional crash with patch 4.