Definite BUG Report BT4 10/16

If you need assistance with a technical is sue with The Bard's Tale IV, this forum is for you. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

waltc
Scholar

Definite BUG Report BT4 10/16

Post by waltc » October 16th, 2018, 2:12 pm

First of all I read the above locked post viewtopic.php?f=60&t=19366 and attempted to follow the instructions for reporting a bug, but on the linked pages I could find nowhere to email inXile a copy of the saved game illustrating both of the bugs I am reporting, even though the post by Sear claims that's where I need to go to send and email with the attachment. If I missed it, please provide me a link to send you the saved game--will be happy to do so.

BUGs (No spoilers that I can think of)

1) I returned to Mother Nain after completing the quest she put before me, and she tells me that she just cannot sit by and do nothing--she wants to join the party to go and get Mangar's Crypt, etc. At this point, the party management screen opens but Mother Nain is nowhere on it...;) I thought that maybe since I had six party members that I needed to lose one of them before seeing Mother Nain--so I reloaded the saved game which was saved immediately before seeing Mother Nain--dismissed a party member--repeated the above--but alas, even with room to spare and an open party slot, the party management screen opens and Mother Nain is nowhere to be seen. I am assuming this is a bug...;)

2) At this point in the game the Quest "Return to the Review Board" seems permanently affixed to the active quest list--even after visiting the Review Board and after all of my party has opened up every skill tier available to them--I sat in the Review Board and repeated the question a dozen times, but at each juncture the Board would simply repeat that "Although you have done nothing of note recently...we still deem you worthy," etc. But the task stays open now in the list and does not complete. No more does the "You are too early, adventurer..." dialogue play--Review Board Quest seems "stuck" in that place, so to speak.

I have no graphics issues at all, and thus no DX issues to report, and want to add this is the first sort of "show stopper" bug I've seen the game--after some 53 hours of play. I don't even know if it *is* a show-stopper--whether Mother Nain's presence in the party is required for something else, etc.

Edit: Wanted to ask why the http://bardstale.inxile-entertainment.com/ page is redirecting to the Steam BT4 page...?

Zortok
Novice

Re: Definite BUG Report BT4 10/16

Post by Zortok » October 16th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Waltac, I agree the points you raise are confusing for us players but I do not consider either to be a bug ...

1) The second part of the party's conversation with Mother Nain is actually Lioslaith the Strong speaking - she originally joined the party for Mother Nain's test but at its conclusion pledges herself to party as a permanent member

2) Return to the Review Board triggers every time you have a party member eligible to progress to the next skill tree band i.e. advance/remove the gold chain restriction which you have to return to the Review Board to do - their comments about significant achievements are unrelated to skill tree progression and relate to story line progression

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » October 17th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Zortok wrote: ↑
October 16th, 2018, 7:51 pm
Waltac, I agree the points you raise are confusing for us players but I do not consider either to be a bug ...

1) The second part of the party's conversation with Mother Nain is actually Lioslaith the Strong speaking - she originally joined the party for Mother Nain's test but at its conclusion pledges herself to party as a permanent member

2) Return to the Review Board triggers every time you have a party member eligible to progress to the next skill tree band i.e. advance/remove the gold chain restriction which you have to return to the Review Board to do - their comments about significant achievements are unrelated to skill tree progression and relate to story line progression
Thanks for the response, Zortok...;) You make a lot of sense about Mother Nain...! I feel much better knowing that is not a bug. What happens is that Lioslaith's remarks come while talking to Mother Nain--and Lioslaith's portrait does not pop up when that is said. I did however think the voice sounded a bit different--but still, Lioslaith is already with you--already in the party, so why would the party management screen pop up? You are right--that is very confusing...they could clean that up a bit. I am relieved to see it's not a bug, as you've said. You've cleared it up for me!

Return to Review Board Quest does seem bugged however. As I mentioned, all of my party have opened up all of their skill tree tiers--none remain to be opened by the review board. Sitting in the Review Board, a dozen times I selected a Review Board member--waiting for the "You are too early, adventurers" dismissal to occur. It never did. All that came up was, "Although you have done nothing of note recently...we still think you are worthy." Over and over again, a dozen times, with no further experience points granted and no further skill tree tiers opened (because there aren't any left for anyone in the party to open!) but the Review Board Quest still remains in the active quest list.

Previously, when I returned and they opened up a skill-tree tier for all the party members affected, I knew they were done when they said, "You are too early, adventurers," etc. and the quest disappeared from the active quest list until another party member accumulated enough XP to open a new skill tree tier--at which time the Review Board Quest would move back into the active quest listing. What's happened now, though, seems very much like the review-board quest is "stuck" somehow. I do think this is a bug--however, it's nothing major.

Thank you again for straightening me out about Mother Nain!...;)

Zortok
Novice

Post by Zortok » October 17th, 2018, 6:08 pm

waltc wrote: ↑
October 17th, 2018, 4:51 pm
Thanks for the response, Zortok...;) You make a lot of sense about Mother Nain...! I feel much better knowing that is not a bug. What happens is that Lioslaith's remarks come while talking to Mother Nain--and Lioslaith's portrait does not pop up when that is said. I did however think the voice sounded a bit different--but still, Lioslaith is already with you--already in the party, so why would the party management screen pop up? You are right--that is very confusing...they could clean that up a bit. I am relieved to see it's not a bug, as you've said. You've cleared it up for me!

Return to Review Board Quest does seem bugged however. As I mentioned, all of my party have opened up all of their skill tree tiers--none remain to be opened by the review board. Sitting in the Review Board, a dozen times I selected a Review Board member--waiting for the "You are too early, adventurers" dismissal to occur. It never did. All that came up was, "Although you have done nothing of note recently...we still think you are worthy." Over and over again, a dozen times, with no further experience points granted and no further skill tree tiers opened (because there aren't any left for anyone in the party to open!) but the Review Board Quest still remains in the active quest list.

Previously, when I returned and they opened up a skill-tree tier for all the party members affected, I knew they were done when they said, "You are too early, adventurers," etc. and the quest disappeared from the active quest list until another party member accumulated enough XP to open a new skill tree tier--at which time the Review Board Quest would move back into the active quest listing. What's happened now, though, seems very much like the review-board quest is "stuck" somehow. I do think this is a bug--however, it's nothing major.

Thank you again for straightening me out about Mother Nain!...;)
Yes - within the context of the game you come to expect a conversation initiated with characters standing in front of the party to just be with them and for intra-party conversations to be party chatter which the Mother Nain conversation is not consistent with.

It is possible that there is bugged element to Review Board along the lines that if multiple party members trigger the quest but speaking to the Review Board only clears it for 1 party member then the quest remains. Similarly if other (mercenary token / recruited) characters are active and have the (unallocated) skill points for tier advancement but are not in the party at the time speak to the Review Board that may also interfere with it.

As you say nothing major but annoying if you are completionist

PtoyonJ
Initiate

Post by PtoyonJ » November 28th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Agreed, minor but a little annoying. I am experiencing both of these issues myself.

I appreciate the clear-up on Lioslaith. I definitely didn't notice at the time, and I consider myself to have not been in a rush when it occurred.

I also agree about the supposed review board bug having been triggered by multiple characters who were eligible for skill tier advancement at the same time I visited the board. Ever since that visit, the quest has remained, though I've returned a couple of times to try and " clear it all and catch up ", there has been no change and the advancement quest remains.