Movement

If you need assistance with a technical is sue with The Bard's Tale IV, this forum is for you. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Ginevra
Initiate

Movement

Post by Ginevra » October 7th, 2018, 6:32 pm

I have BT4 (obviously) and the game loads fine and all . . .but. . . .I can only go forward, backward and left and right. Cannot turn for ANY reason. Am I missing something or is this a bug? Trying to navigate the marketplace backward is gawdawful. Help, please? Any legit responses are welcome.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: Movement

Post by Gizmo » October 7th, 2018, 7:25 pm

Only partially legit; in the sense that I have not played the game yet...but are you using the mouse? Many FPP games that I have played do not map keys for turning any more; assuming the player will look where they wish using the mouse, and use the forward, back & strafing keys for direct movement.

Are you using a gamepad? I am certain that any future answers from other members would like to know a bit more detail.

Ginevra
Initiate

Post by Ginevra » October 7th, 2018, 7:34 pm

In the controls section of the options, the keys are actually marked for turning are q and e but they don't do anything. I've tried rebinding them to other keys but it doesn't seem to make any difference; I still can only go N, S, E and W. The only thing that the mouse seems to do is to point and click and the r-click brings up the menu for the formation of the group. Mouse scroll button doesn't seem to do anything either. I've attempted adjusting resolutions, high/low settings, window vs non-window vs borderless. Direct X is up to date. I've verified the integrity of the files through Steam. Drivers are up to date. I honestly have no idea what could be the issue and since I've only found 1 other person who has the same issue on these forums, I had wondered if I was missing something simple that I merely overlooked.

phairgames
Initiate

Post by phairgames » October 19th, 2018, 4:08 pm

The same thing happened to me after Patch 2, only my mouse DID work for movement prior to then (I got about 6 hours of play in before this happened). My mouse works in game menus but not in the game world. Starting a brand new game didn't make a difference. Resetting controls to defaults didn't help, neither did updates to my video driver, mouse driver (completely unneeded according to Win10 but I uninstalled/reinstalled it anyway), Windows or DirectX. About the only thing I didn't try was a complete uninstall/reinstall of the game itself, and really, I don't know if I want to do another huge download at this point.

I posted about my issues at the time both here and on the Steam forums and got no help, so I've given up on this game for now. I'm not sure if I'll come back, because I wasn't really enjoying the game that much prior to having these issues anyway. While I liked the look and atmosphere, I can't say the rest for the gameplay. The combat system, the NES-era console style save points, and the overabundance of puzzles weren't really my thing. I *do* like Wasteland 2 and Tides of Numenera, but I wish I'd never backed this one on Kickstarter. Oh well, lesson learned. At least I'm only out $25.