Can't finish BONES IN THE FOG

If you need assistance with a technical is sue with The Bard's Tale IV, this forum is for you. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

jojobrain
Initiate

Can't finish BONES IN THE FOG

Post by jojobrain » October 1st, 2018, 9:55 am

I'm in the temple in the basement. There is a quest marker and a green npc maker but no NPC. I can't do anything here. I saw in another thread that this was fixed but it is still broken for myself.
--
I have the gog version. I reached the isle on the 28 of sept and took a couple of days break. I have the 1st patch but not the second patch because EACH patch is 26GB and I have already downloaded over 50GB for this game.
-
At this point what do i need to do to fix this broken point in the game. Is there some easy way for me to fix this mess.

jojobrain
Initiate

Re: Can't finish BONES IN THE FOG

Post by jojobrain » October 2nd, 2018, 3:03 pm

Also why are each of the patches on gog 26GB. Surley this is a problem on inxile side? You can't really expect us to download 26GB every few weeks to get pass game breaking bugs ?

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » October 3rd, 2018, 3:55 pm

Hi there, we put together a save that you can use if you're stuck with no good save to fall back on: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hfx57783k8q6 ... e.zip?dl=0

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » October 3rd, 2018, 11:52 pm

jojobrain wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 3:03 pm
Also why are each of the patches on gog 26GB. Surley this is a problem on inxile side? You can't really expect us to download 26GB every few weeks to get pass game breaking bugs ?
Its how GoG patching works. All developers do is upload a new build to GoG, and GoG takes care of the rest. What GoG does is look at what files have been changed, and then uploads those changed files to the user in a compressed format. Inxile are basically making changes to vast majority of the files. There could be a 4GB file that they make a 1mb change to, and GoG will upload that 4GB file to you in compressed format.

Steam has a much better system. Developers do the same thing, upload a new build, and Steam takes care of the rest. But what Steam does is basically looks at the game in 1's and 0's and sections off the game in 1MB chunks. When an new build is uploaded to Steam, Steam then looks at each 1MB chunk that has changed and uploads to the user any of the changed 1MB chunks, and if there are any 1MB chuncks that are identical to another 1MB chunk then they only upload that 1MB chunk to the user 1 time and then use that 1MB chunk in every space that has the same chunk.

In other words there really isn't anything Inxile can do to make the patches smaller, they have to make changes to the files they have to make changes to in order to make the game better.

jojobrain
Initiate

Post by jojobrain » October 4th, 2018, 7:47 am

Thanks. I got past that point by finding a save just before I sailed. I was trying to avoid downloading patch 2 because 75GB for this game seem excessive but caved in. Hopefully I can finish without any more patches - really don't want to download another 26GB.
phimseto wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 3:55 pm
Hi there, we put together a save that you can use if you're stuck with no good save to fall back on: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hfx57783k8q6 ... e.zip?dl=0

jojobrain
Initiate

Post by jojobrain » October 4th, 2018, 7:48 am

Well that sucks if it is accurate. I'm a unix sort of person where decent patch systems have been available for decades that did a better job than that.
eisberg wrote:
October 3rd, 2018, 11:52 pm
jojobrain wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 3:03 pm
Its how GoG patching works. All developers do is upload a new build to GoG, and GoG takes care of the rest. What GoG does is look at what files have been changed, and then uploads those changed files to the user in a compressed format. Inxile are basically making changes to vast majority of the files. There could be a 4GB file that they make a 1mb change to, and GoG will upload that 4GB file to you in compressed format.

Steam has a much better system. Developers do the same thing, upload a new build, and Steam takes care of the rest. But what Steam does is basically looks at the game in 1's and 0's and sections off the game in 1MB chunks. When an new build is uploaded to Steam, Steam then looks at each 1MB chunk that has changed and uploads to the user any of the changed 1MB chunks, and if there are any 1MB chuncks that are identical to another 1MB chunk then they only upload that 1MB chunk to the user 1 time and then use that 1MB chunk in every space that has the same chunk.

In other words there really isn't anything Inxile can do to make the patches smaller, they have to make changes to the files they have to make changes to in order to make the game better.

Zortok
Novice

Post by Zortok » October 5th, 2018, 6:11 pm

eisberg wrote:
Interesting ... May also explain how I got hit by this bug since I was on the wharf talking to the ghosts post patch 1 on GoG - the bug fix was a hot fix according to the patch notes so it either did not make it through the GoG system or there is some other trigger that advances the quest chain that the devs have missed. I will have to play through from the start but I am not going to attempt that before patch 3 ...

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » October 5th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Zortok wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 6:11 pm
eisberg wrote:
Interesting ... May also explain how I got hit by this bug since I was on the wharf talking to the ghosts post patch 1 on GoG - the bug fix was a hot fix according to the patch notes so it either did not make it through the GoG system or there is some other trigger that advances the quest chain that the devs have missed. I will have to play through from the start but I am not going to attempt that before patch 3 ...
I believe the developers stated it wasn't retroactive, the hot fix made sure it wouldn't happen to anybody else. If I remember right you need to go to a previous save before going to the docks, a save that was before triggering the bug.