Fatal Error! combat crashes

If you need assistance with a technical is sue with The Bard's Tale IV, this forum is for you. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Teapot
Initiate

Re: Fatal Error! combat crashes

Post by Teapot » January 13th, 2019, 1:38 am

Enjoyed the game up until now, but I am also getting "fatal error" crashes in 2 different fights in Baedish lowlands. When fighting the last of the 3 giants, and when fighting the group with Captain Beckwith. For now the game is unplayable :cry:

Windows 10 64-bit, i7-8700, 16GB RAM and GTX 1080Ti

Dork Mage
Scholar

Post by Dork Mage » January 13th, 2019, 8:54 am

Is there any pattern to when the crash occurs?

Try reducing graphic's settings (shouldn't be necessary with your setup but....)

Wayland's Watch is bugged and will cause crashes on some fights.

Teapot
Initiate

Post by Teapot » January 13th, 2019, 1:17 pm

I dont really see any specific pattern. Just tried again in windowed mode and medium settings. Same crash halfway through the fight :(

bluejay2894
Initiate

Post by bluejay2894 » March 29th, 2019, 10:49 pm

I have the exact same problem. The game ran fine until I entered the lowlands around Fiona's house, and since I entered that area the game crashes everytime I finish a fight - everytime. It's been happening for months now, but I quit playing hoping that bug fixes would eventually fix the problem. I tried installing again today to see if the issue was resolved but it was not. Everytime I finish a fight the game hard crashes with a 'fatal error' dialog. Needless to say I haven't made any progress in the game in a long time.

The installation today was on a new gaming system that I didn't own when I first encountered the problem on saves that were pulled down from cloud sync - so it's not something with my system.