very disappointed, scam?

If you need assistance with a technical is sue with The Bard's Tale IV, this forum is for you. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Soiloow
Initiate

very disappointed, scam?

Post by Soiloow » September 23rd, 2018, 12:30 am

Spanish version badly translated, wrong door gears puzzles, impossible to continue game.
For me this is a big scam.

werpu
Initiate

Re: very disappointed, scam?

Post by werpu » September 23rd, 2018, 2:02 am

Sorry... a bad translation is hardly a scam :-(, just lousy QA

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 23rd, 2018, 3:25 am

That is not what a scam is. Lets not start using words like that all willy nilly, all that does is dilute the meaning of the word.

You were not scammed. Nothing about it is a scam.

Soiloow
Initiate

Post by Soiloow » September 23rd, 2018, 5:28 am

Regards:
If I buy a game it is to be able to play it, if I install it and I can not play, for me it is a scam or at least I feel cheated.

werpu
Initiate

Post by werpu » September 23rd, 2018, 6:02 am

Well as I said, this falls under the bugs category, seems like they had a lousy translator for the spanish version (dont know since I do not speak spanish, the german translations are pretty good so far and more or less spot on). Just send them a bugreport they simply should recheck their translations again, after all the translations are text only, so it is not that hard to fix them. Usually internationalisation for text is outsourced and if there is no one in the company who can speak the language they simply have to rely on what they get.
But nothing of this is a scam.. a scam is totally different. That would be something like you were paying for the game and got an empty game package instead.

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » September 23rd, 2018, 6:39 am

eisberg wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 3:25 am
well... the game is offered in spanish, and from what I understand by reading the forums, the game is not actually playable in spanish, as the spanish versin have game breaking bugs the english version doesn't. So they need to play it in english inspite of having bought it as spanish.

Tuoweit
Acolyte

Post by Tuoweit » September 23rd, 2018, 9:15 am

Spectralshade wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 6:39 am
eisberg wrote:
well... the game is offered in spanish, and from what I understand by reading the forums, the game is not actually playable in spanish, as the spanish versin have game breaking bugs the english version doesn't. So they need to play it in english inspite of having bought it as spanish.
That may all be true, but that doesn't make it a scam. A scam involves intent to deliberately deceive. The hypothesis that Inxile would create a Spanish translation of BT4 with the intention of deliberately deceiving *only Spanish-speaking players* is really implausible.

Soiloow
Initiate

Post by Soiloow » September 25th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Spectralshade wrote:
eisberg wrote:
Would you buy this game to play it in a language you do not understand?

Soiloow
Initiate

Post by Soiloow » September 25th, 2018, 4:23 pm

werpu wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 6:02 am
Well as I said, this falls under the bugs category, seems like they had a lousy translator for the spanish version (dont know since I do not speak spanish, the german translations are pretty good so far and more or less spot on). Just send them a bugreport they simply should recheck their translations again, after all the translations are text only, so it is not that hard to fix them. Usually internationalisation for text is outsourced and if there is no one in the company who can speak the language they simply have to rely on what they get.
But nothing of this is a scam.. a scam is totally different. That would be something like you were paying for the game and got an empty game package instead.
The question is not the bad and unfinished translation, the real problem is that after half an hour of playing you can not continue because of a bug in the door puzzles.
I have been sold a defective item, it has not been a deliberate scam, but I feel cheated

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » September 25th, 2018, 4:34 pm

Soiloow wrote:
September 25th, 2018, 4:14 pm
Spectralshade wrote:
eisberg wrote:
Would you buy this game to play it in a language you do not understand?
nope. I would request a refund

Applicator
Initiate

Post by Applicator » September 25th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Wait for a patch or ask for a refund, but it's not a scam as it's clearly not deliberate, but is unintentional.

Shismar
Initiate

Post by Shismar » September 26th, 2018, 3:29 am

Have you tried changing the language to english to solve the broken puzzle?

And yeah, it is of course not a scam. Just bug ridden and unfinished.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 26th, 2018, 6:56 am

Soiloow wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 12:30 am
Spanish version badly translated, wrong door gears puzzles, impossible to continue game.
For me this is a big scam.
Hi Soiloow, sorry to hear you ran into a problem. We're aware of a few localization issues that are causing some progression bugs for people, and certainly not happy that those made it into the release build, but we're hoping to get fixes in as soon as possible. Keep an eye out for updates, and we apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Mygaffer
Initiate

Post by Mygaffer » September 29th, 2018, 10:00 am

Wow people, slow your roll on the guy using the word scam. English is clearly his second language and it sounds like the translation issues are pretty bad.

Hopefully they get fixed.