[BUG] The dreaded inventory wipe bug strikes again

If you need assistance with a technical is sue with The Bard's Tale IV, this forum is for you. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

syntaxhorror
Novice

[BUG] The dreaded inventory wipe bug strikes again

Post by syntaxhorror » September 20th, 2018, 7:10 pm

What it says on the tin. I've just been to a shop to unload some junk and the game kindly took care of it by just removing all of it, along with all the rest :o . I don't know when it happened, I suspect I've lost quite a bit of progress since the save point system doesn't let you do what you want (which in my case would be save every five minutes on ten rotating save slots so if this crap happens worst case you lose an hour max of progress). Meh.
I may or may not investigate tomorrow, not sure yet. I suspect it happened during a scene transition but it's just a hunch. I hope it's patched soon, and the patch is quickly uploaded to gog (which hasn't always been the case with recent games sadly).

In the meantime, check your pockets often, skara brae's thieves are nasty.
Last edited by syntaxhorror on September 21st, 2018, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

outsidefactor
Novice

Re: [BUG] Thé dreaded inventory wipe bug strikes again

Post by outsidefactor » September 20th, 2018, 8:24 pm

That is one nasty bug!

I've only ever lost an item or two, and recocnised it quickly (I hope... I guess I could have missed it a few times in between and not noticed) and I agree that the save system is combining with bugs to make gameplay agonising.

Hopefully we'll see a patch soon.

syntaxhorror
Novice

Re: [BUG] The dreaded inventory wipe bug strikes again

Post by syntaxhorror » September 21st, 2018, 5:36 am

Luckily I seem to have saved a few minutes before it happened. I tried to trigger it again (I did the same things I remember doing, mainly two scene transitions and going to a merchant) and didn't succeed so no idea how it's triggered.

Tuoweit
Acolyte

Re: [BUG] The dreaded inventory wipe bug strikes again

Post by Tuoweit » September 21st, 2018, 8:36 am

I had this happen to me once, I don't know the exact steps but it seemed to happen right after I interacted with the merchant (Roscoe, in this case)... I had unloaded a bunch of stuff on him (maybe bought a thing or two as well, I don't recall) and then forgot to "confirm" the transaction, when I tried to re-do it my inventory was gone. Fortunately my last save wasn't too far back.