Which BTIV exe should I use?

If you need assistance with a technical is sue with The Bard's Tale IV, this forum is for you. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

waltc
Scholar

Which BTIV exe should I use?

Post by waltc » September 20th, 2018, 12:06 pm

In the ...\binaries\Win64 directory I have two game exe files:

Bard'sTale4.exe 55,527 KB
BardsTale4-win64-shipping.exe 55,352 KB

I'm guessing that the function of the Bardstale4.exe in the root directory, 243 KB, is merely a pointer to one of those files, based on the OS version that it detects...? (Probably not, but...)

I do not think I am imagining it... but as I use Win10x64 Build 17763.1 (RS5) I have run a shortcut directly to the BardsTale4-win64-shipping.exe and it seems like the game runs 10%-15% faster than it does if I just let the 243 KB Bardstale4.exe in the root directory decide which to use...;) I was just wondering what the significance of the two exes in the Win64 directory is--is one 32-bit, the other 64-bit? Just curious!

Love the game, btw--so far it exceeds every expectation I had--I'm even enjoying the saved-game function--who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks, eh?...;) Anyway, I anticipate playing this game for a long time to come...;) I've already started over once and may do so again--BTIV should be shaken, not stirred...and slowly sipped like a fine wine for the maximum burst of enjoyment!...;) Great job, guys!

waltc
Scholar

Re: Which BTIV exe should I use?

Post by waltc » September 21st, 2018, 1:39 pm

I have to bump this...I cannot believe no one from inXile can answer this question...;) I think it's fairly important, eh?...;)