Un-Mage Nuke

For discussion of the story, setting and characters of The Bard's Tale IV. Spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

rmcoen
Acolyte

Un-Mage Nuke

Post by rmcoen » September 21st, 2018, 4:58 am

Just to get another post in this forum...

Can *any* mage detonate their magic for a 500-point nuke? (i.e. Alguin) I can see a nice assassination/terrorism trade in baby mages, "you don't want to be hunted and reviled all your life! We'll make you rich, all you have to do is go stand next to that house and purge your magic. Don't worry, we'll show you how do it, and then you'll be 'normal' for the rest of your life...." (cue evil laughter).

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: Un-Mage Nuke

Post by thebruce » September 21st, 2018, 6:05 am

Like Q made human... the Un-Q. Or kryptonite'd Not-So-Superman. Or really any superpower that was 'cursed' to mere mortality...
Although if the practitioner were merely stripped of their magical abilities, they'd probably just be a weak lanky fool, and likely need a whole lot of training in mere physical skills to be of any use :P Unless it were a tradeoff. Perhaps a sort of purchase or trade - depending on how much skill you have or magical knowledge, you could trade as a sort of jumpstart to non-magical skills.
Or... well... just build a sort of re-speccing mechanic that makes sense in the game world. :)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

rmcoen
Acolyte

Post by rmcoen » September 21st, 2018, 6:49 am

I did mention the "we'll make you rich" (i.e. you don't need skills if you're rich - a bit of a fallacy, as you won't *stay* rich). How many people struggling with ostracism and perhaps lacking confidence *wouldn't* trade it for "never have to work again" and the "charisma" that comes with lots of money?

(Of course, I also alluded to "for the rest of your life" being a ploy - the kinds of people looking to buy the unmaking of your magic aren't likely to let that life be too long. "Build a man a fire, he's warm for a night; set a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life...")

All that aside - Is Alguin useless without his magic? Can't he run a mage store just fine? Of course, Alguin had decades as a powerful mage to set up contacts. And maybe, in yon dark medieval-esque fantasy worlds, it's a lot harder for mid-life career changes. But I use pretty much nothing I learned in College in my current job... I would gladly trade that knowledge for a cash infusion!

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » September 21st, 2018, 11:42 am

And it is shame that the same result happens even if you kill the wraith yourself without the mage going boom. It was way easier than waiting for the six turns...

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » September 22nd, 2018, 2:28 am

Yeah, he "died" on the second turn for me as well. Still beat Mangar on hard on the first try. A bit disappointing.
Alguin would be a bad sage though, since he doesn't know the difference between a lich and a wraith, as was made clear, after he auto-resurrected and explained how to kill Mangar to us. He's also a liar, casting APAR right after telling us he lost all his power. All of it!
He looks cool though, unlike my own spellcasters.

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » September 22nd, 2018, 5:41 am

On my run he didn't even die, just stood there watching as the boss got his ass handed to him.

rmcoen
Acolyte

Post by rmcoen » September 22nd, 2018, 12:02 pm

OKay, you guys were a lot stronger than me. I only got Mangar down to about 100 before ALguin nuked him. Mangar did some "hit everyone" spell that insta-killed my fighter and rogue, leaving me just a bard and Green lady...