Best Party?

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

rmcoen
Acolyte

Best Party?

Post by rmcoen » October 9th, 2018, 5:40 am

So, my thoughts, having just finished Iwon Rheg.

1) Tank Fighter in Heavy Armor, with taunt and rend
2) 2-H Fighter, with execute, maximum strength; Commander (+1 Opp)
3) Bard, with RabbleRouser (+1 Opp); Cleric.
4) Practioner, Grand Conjuror; spam Arcane Barrage
5) Practioner, Grand Conjuror; spam Arcane Barrage (yes, duplicate)
6) Rogue, just because I hate leaving chests unpicked! -- Many people advocate the "Stealth whole party" skill, but I use everyone on Round 1, so I don't see that as helpful.

This gives 6 base Opportunity, a powerful tank to hide behind, a fighter that can drop anything with 50-65hp in a single 2-Opp blow, multiple overlapping Conjuror's Marks, and a Cleric that can drink Elven Wine for instant spellpoints.

Thoughts?

Depili
Scholar

Re: Best Party?

Post by Depili » October 9th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Having finished the game the optimal setup would probably be 4 bards with minstrel feeding starting spellpoints, one practioner with arcane blast, the melting wand and conjurer's mark combined with max str from archmages robes and a max str rogue for dealing melee damage. Didn't really use active abilities from other party members than my damage-rogue and a damage-practioner, even with a 2 fighters, 2 bards, rogue and a practioner composition it was enough to finish all fights in one round bar few really rare exceptions in multi-wave fights, even most multi-wave fights ended in the first round.

Applicator
Initiate

Post by Applicator » October 9th, 2018, 5:24 pm

rmcoen wrote:
October 9th, 2018, 5:40 am
So, my thoughts, having just finished Iwon Rheg.

1) Tank Fighter in Heavy Armor, with taunt and rend
2) 2-H Fighter, with execute, maximum strength; Commander (+1 Opp)
3) Bard, with RabbleRouser (+1 Opp); Cleric.
4) Practioner, Grand Conjuror; spam Arcane Barrage
5) Practioner, Grand Conjuror; spam Arcane Barrage (yes, duplicate)
6) Rogue, just because I hate leaving chests unpicked! -- Many people advocate the "Stealth whole party" skill, but I use everyone on Round 1, so I don't see that as helpful.

This gives 6 base Opportunity, a powerful tank to hide behind, a fighter that can drop anything with 50-65hp in a single 2-Opp blow, multiple overlapping Conjuror's Marks, and a Cleric that can drink Elven Wine for instant spellpoints.

Thoughts?
Pretty much what I'm going with and it works well so far. Conjuror needs a nerf. Gaufroi's wand probably does too as it makes armour mean nothing

DSCrankshaw
Novice

Post by DSCrankshaw » October 9th, 2018, 9:30 pm

I actually did pretty well with one fighter, one rogue, two practitioners, and two bards.

I agree, Gaufroi's wand makes short work of armor. Then again, I'm not sure I'd want to take on regular foes with 93 armor, and one boss with 300, without it. Though Mangar's Mallet helps, since it bypasses armor altogether.

epitaxial
Initiate

Post by epitaxial » October 9th, 2018, 11:06 pm

1 main tank
1 off tank [paladin fighting undead/healing]
2 bards
1 practitioner [sage - healing]
1 rogue [party stealth]

This seems to work well in defeating most groups in about 2 turns with exception of undead which may take another 1-2 turns. :)
Last edited by epitaxial on October 10th, 2018, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » October 10th, 2018, 10:24 am

Pretty much same as OP but I rely on Dragon's Breath eather than arcane barrage (and levitate to move enemies around to maximise DRBR targets)

Rikkles
Novice

Post by Rikkles » October 15th, 2018, 9:34 am

1 Rogue [party stealth]
5 Practitioners

Game over. Heck, you could even probably win with a rogue and 2 practitioners and a bit of luck.

Paranoiac
Novice

Post by Paranoiac » October 16th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Rikkles wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 9:34 am
1 Rogue [party stealth]
5 Practitioners

Game over. Heck, you could even probably win with a rogue and 2 practitioners and a bit of luck.
As someone who beat the final dungeon with just this set up, it doesn't really require a whole lot of luck. Granted, this was on Normal, so maybe Hard would require more luck.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » October 16th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Paranoiac wrote:
October 16th, 2018, 1:36 pm
Rikkles wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 9:34 am
1 Rogue [party stealth]
5 Practitioners

As someone who beat the final dungeon with just this set up, it doesn't really require a whole lot of luck. Granted, this was on Normal, so maybe Hard would require more luck.
Recently finished on hard, with this set up. I guess we can count the terribad AI as a bit of luck. Even though I messed up my static charge rotation, I still won by arcane barrage spam.