Overpowered = Grand Conjurer + Dragon Breath/ Arcane barrage

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

isteckel
Initiate

Overpowered = Grand Conjurer + Dragon Breath/ Arcane barrage

Post by isteckel » October 8th, 2018, 9:03 am

So I just finished the game, and everything i meet in the game after I got Grand Conjurer died in either round 1 or round 2.

The thing is Grand Conjurer leaves a mark everything an enemy is hit by a spell, and that mark detonates when it is hit a second time by anything, dealing aoe damage. The combo just blasts anything with to much damage, and if you've got an item that gives rend, forget about armor saving you, heck even the last boss died in 2 rounds, only because there were two waves.
Did'nt even need any other classes but practitioner, and perhaps two bards just for the extra spell points they can give you.

Perhaps Grand Conjurer should be balanced, or is it intended?
What is your experience with Grand Conjurer?

Depili
Scholar

Re: Overpowered = Grand Conjurer + Dragon Breath/ Arcane barrage

Post by Depili » October 8th, 2018, 9:19 am

Toss in the vampiric blade and you will be set for spellpoints.

At least they nerfed this in the second patch so that the explosions don't apply rend/melting anymore, just the primary hit. Didn't really use any other spells than arcane barrage in the game.

isteckel
Initiate

Post by isteckel » October 8th, 2018, 10:02 am

Depili wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 9:19 am
Toss in the vampiric blade and you will be set for spellpoints.

At least they nerfed this in the second patch so that the explosions don't apply rend/melting anymore, just the primary hit. Didn't really use any other spells than arcane barrage in the game.
Dang I can only speculate how much that would power up that combination, I allready had the skill that gives 30% chance of crits to regain spell points, which happened rather frequently if I must be honest to say? Howeer i don't think I ever came across the Vampiric Blade? Or perhaps it is laying in my extremely full inventory of way to much stuff that I'M NEVER GOING TO USE, WHY WON'T I JUST SELL THIS STUFF! I've got a hording problem.

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » October 8th, 2018, 12:43 pm

IIRC the vampiric blade was a reward for finding all the green runes in skara brae underground. It has a attack action that deals decent damage and if any enemies dies to it you gain 3 spell points.

Applicator
Initiate

Post by Applicator » October 8th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Depili wrote:
October 8th, 2018, 12:43 pm
IIRC the vampiric blade was a reward for finding all the green runes in skara brae underground. It has a attack action that deals decent damage and if any enemies dies to it you gain 3 spell points.
If I recall correctly, the runes in skara brae lead to a whip, not the blade.

rmcoen
Acolyte

Post by rmcoen » October 9th, 2018, 5:41 am

Correct, the Green Runes are the undead-killing whip (which I found after killing skeletons - haven't seen an undead since).

I think the Vampiric dagger was from Gaufroi's corpse?

DSCrankshaw
Novice

Post by DSCrankshaw » October 9th, 2018, 9:47 pm

I remember the vampiric dagger, but I don't recall where it was. Gaufroi had a puzzle wand that added stacks of rend (and melting, if you unlocked the third level), but I don't think he had the vampiric dagger. I'm not sure who had that.

Kaltar
Initiate

Post by Kaltar » October 10th, 2018, 4:45 am

I think I found the dagger somewhere in Iwon Rheg.

Rikkles
Novice

Post by Rikkles » October 15th, 2018, 9:26 am

Nothing is as overpowered as the rogue's "2 turns of the whole party in shadows".
Bring 1 rogue with that passive, a couple of conjurers with Mangar's crazy ridiculous 6-spell-point 6-spot destructive spell, and you cakewalk absolutely everything.
Round 1: meditate for both conjurers
Round 2: meditate for both conjurers, boost your rogue and any others
Round 3: unleash the spells, destroy everything and their mother.

You barely ever need fighters, except maybe for multi-wave battles. But by far and away the most insane team is 1 rogue with the shadow party passive and 5 conjurers with the mangar area spell.

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » October 15th, 2018, 11:17 am

Why wait for 3 rounds and have several conjurers when one conjurer is enough to 1-round about all encounters? only some multi-wave encounters need more than 1 turn with conjurers mark, arcane barrage and vampiric blade. Usually only needed to use 2 opportunity.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » October 15th, 2018, 11:21 am

Yeah, they could've spiced it up with monsters that are immune/resistant to magic, physical attacks, ones that have true seeing and drain life, spellpoints, opportunity, etc. Instead, they thought that monster variety and interesting encounter design is secondary in a turn-based dungeon crawler and copy-pasting the same cultists, goblins and skeletons throughout the whole game will suffice.

Rikkles
Novice

Post by Rikkles » October 15th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Depili wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 11:17 am
Why wait for 3 rounds and have several conjurers when one conjurer is enough to 1-round about all encounters? only some multi-wave encounters need more than 1 turn with conjurers mark, arcane barrage and vampiric blade. Usually only needed to use 2 opportunity.
because the beauty is you don't use a single opportunity :D
and clicking a couple of times is not really a round...

Rikkles
Novice

Post by Rikkles » November 4th, 2018, 7:45 am

I replayed the game with:
- 3 grand conjurers in the back, all ultimately with mangar's mallet
- 1 bard with the spell point generation song, zero fighting skills
- 1 rogue with 2 rounds of shadows ability
- 1 useless fighter who did absolutely nothing

The final battle on hard mode (1200 HP final boss) ended in exactly 2 rounds after the 2 preparatory rounds of shadows. None of my chars got hit a single time. Not a single opportunity was used.