Fort Garendon

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Spektyr
Initiate

Fort Garendon

Post by Spektyr » October 3rd, 2018, 7:21 pm

I ran a search on this forum for the word "Garendon" and came up empty.

More than a little surprised by that.

C'mon, 250 armor Dwarven Ancestor at the (I'm pretty sure it's the) bottom of that place and no one's mentioned it?

Courtesy of a big-ol' dwarven meatshield of my own, and extra helpings of Mangar's Mallet, I put that sucker down. Two questions remain:

1. Where's the big-bad those guys inside are whining about? I'd like to pay him a visit and discuss his retirement options with him.
2. Why can I "open" and "close" the weird pillar things on either side of the chest the Dwarven Ancestor was guarding? They don't appear to do anything.

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Re: Fort Garendon

Post by CaptainPatch » October 3rd, 2018, 11:14 pm

Tarjen polished off the dwarves before you got there. (Scripted; you can't prevent it from happening.) You just have to be satisfied with avenging them by destroying Tarjen.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » October 4th, 2018, 1:27 am

And the companion you sent off to warn the elves.

Spektyr
Initiate

Post by Spektyr » October 4th, 2018, 7:02 am

Yeah, I found him... bugger took off with my Red Boots without so much as a "do you mind if I borrow these, get killed, and let some cultist loot them off my corpse?"

That whole place just feels really awkward. They guys guarding the entrance stand there like they want to fight - but you can't attack OR talk to them after the first time, the weird pillars at the end... nothing really of note throughout the whole place...

It just doesn't seem finished.

DSCrankshaw
Novice

Post by DSCrankshaw » October 7th, 2018, 10:25 am

Are we supposed to do this quest at some point? I found the Fort a while ago, but decided to skip it for the moment, since the fights looked on the hard side for me at the time and I didn't have any quests that had me going that way. But now I'm approaching the endgame (I'm to the part where Skara Brae is burning), and haven't found any quests that point me toward the fort, and I'm wondering if I should just do it as a sidequest (hopefully before I get railroaded into the endgame).

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » October 7th, 2018, 10:56 am

DSCrankshaw wrote: ↑
October 7th, 2018, 10:25 am
Are we supposed to do this quest at some point? I found the Fort a while ago, but decided to skip it for the moment, since the fights looked on the hard side for me at the time and I didn't have any quests that had me going that way. But now I'm approaching the endgame (I'm to the part where Skara Brae is burning), and haven't found any quests that point me toward the fort, and I'm wondering if I should just do it as a sidequest (hopefully before I get railroaded into the endgame).
I believe there was a decision point early on. Go warn the dwarves or go warn the elves. Go dwarves and the fort path becomes front and center. (It also determined which of your support NPCs was going to end up dead. That being the one character set to the other group on his/her own.)
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."