The end and what I didn't solve

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Depili
Scholar

The end and what I didn't solve

Post by Depili » September 29th, 2018, 12:58 pm

The end fight wasn't much of a challenge, yadis got one turn to act. Rogue + max str items + greater potion of power + 6 melting stacks from arcane barrage = about 200ish damage per sword flurry, devils booze and song of duotime = no cooldowns. At least they nerfed the melting to only apply on primary arcane barrage targets and not the explosions...

Used only the ready made NPC characters, the two fighters, both bards, crux and trow rogue. The last two were responsible for 90+% of damage done, but with amble support from both bards and the both fighters taunting targets to striking distance.

* Didn't find the supply key for Scara Bre underground
* Didn't find the cogs for the underground nor the forrest doors with missing cogs
* Didn't find any use for the tortuga's brooch even when the quest said I should try to do so (but it was a good item for one of my bards)
* Didn't figure out any meaning for the "cursed" blade before the red vault
* Didn't make all of the sacrifices, at first I was using the code wheel wrong and then didn't backtrack, also one lategame sacrifice required "pie" and didn't know how to make it.
* Didn't get the reward from sentinel tower as misunderstood how the candle puzzle worked and thus missed my chance
* Didn't unlock the side doors on the first level of sewers in the endgame

Paranoiac
Novice

Re: The end and what I didn't solve

Post by Paranoiac » September 29th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Depili wrote: ↑
September 29th, 2018, 12:58 pm
* Didn't find the supply key for Scara Bre underground
* Didn't find the cogs for the underground nor the forrest doors with missing cogs
* Didn't find any use for the tortuga's brooch even when the quest said I should try to do so (but it was a good item for one of my bards)
* Didn't figure out any meaning for the "cursed" blade before the red vault
* Didn't make all of the sacrifices, at first I was using the code wheel wrong and then didn't backtrack, also one lategame sacrifice required "pie" and didn't know how to make it.
* Didn't get the reward from sentinel tower as misunderstood how the candle puzzle worked and thus missed my chance
* Didn't unlock the side doors on the first level of sewers in the endgame
Spoiler answers below for a couple of the items on your list

1) The supply key is located in Skara Brae Underground in the area behind a destructable wall. You must defeat at least two groups of Paladins to find it. It's in the center of the area next to a campfire.
2) Couldn't find them all myself, but you're not missing much from behind the door in Skara Brae Underground - it's where you find the Lute of Compulsory Covorting, which is an okay item at low levels, but rapidly is outclassed.
3) There is an offering shrine in Skara Brae Above which talks about a turtle and its shell. You can turn the brooch in there. Frankly, in my opinion, it's not worth it. You lose the brooch and get exp. The brooch is a really nice item.
4) I couldn't figure out a purpose for the blade either, sorry!
5) I can't remember which vendor/tavern merchant sells it. Sorry! At least you know how the offering shrines work now with the code wheel.
6. Ahh, the spear. I got it an never actually used it because it takes up two mastery slots.
7) I have no idea how to unlock those. I spent quite a while trying to find anything to open them, but no luck.

Hope some of that helps! My last fight was also pretty easy. Two practitioners and a rogue with auto combat stealth.
Last edited by Paranoiac on September 30th, 2018, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » September 30th, 2018, 3:40 am

So actually walked by the supply key few times, the keys laying on the floor are so easy to miss :(

And actually yes, I now remember that turtle shrine and agree that the item is better than any amount of exp, was around level 28 in the end and had been putting points on minor things for a while "so i guess 2 more points of con that I never need is ok..."

Qhue
Initiate

Post by Qhue » October 1st, 2018, 3:59 am

Finished it as well yesterday and similarly missed things like the entirety of the Sentry Tower etc.

The biggest downfall was that once you get into a certain rhythm with the most powerful combo abilities you just do the exact same fight over and over again. In my case I used Falkantyn's Fury from the bard with the poison weapon equipped which gave everyone poison in addition to the initial True damage and then Crux plus two Rogues went to town with huge hits and chained explosions.

Never had a fight go past round two and so only rarely even got to use spells like Mangars Mallet and never once used any of the summon spells. I fear if I hadn't been making use of the crazy synergy then things would have been very bad indeed as the rare occasions when the enemy did get to attack they nearly obliterated my group in a single round.

Ultimately this is the most disheartening aspect of the game ... very few abilities and still didn't even use more than 1/3 of those. The combat was incredibly boring after level 15 or so and that never changed. Heck the loot even sort of stops past level 20, all I got for the last several dungeons was just coins and scrap metal, not even the big bosses dropped loot.

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » October 1st, 2018, 9:27 am

And many of the abilities are just way worse for the same point cost than the alternatives. "Oh, you can get a sword attack that hits 3 times (with arming sword) that has 60% chance to refund the cooldown and 30% chance to refund the opportunity cost OR you could get a attack that deals less damage (albeit in one instance so little better against armor unless you use rending arcane blasts...) and has a slight chance of knockback (which iin itself is detrimental for killing the enemy) or doing little extra damage...

Conjurer's mark itself makes pretty much all other spells than arcane barrage nearly unusable.