How to kill skeletons...permanently?

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

onemeg
Initiate

How to kill skeletons...permanently?

Post by onemeg » September 28th, 2018, 5:06 pm

At first I thought it was one of the goblins bringing the skeletons back, but sometimes there are just skeleton warriors and they keep coming back. I can't tell if one of them is summoning the others, or if there's something I need to do to make them stay dead. I haven't seen any channeling going on to interrupt. It'll be like I'm down to one skeleton, he's half dead, goes to his turn and he summons two more, or they rise again, or something. Anyone know?

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Re: How to kill skeletons...permanently?

Post by CaptainPatch » September 28th, 2018, 5:30 pm

The only solution that I have seen is to kill ALL of the skeletons in one round.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » September 28th, 2018, 11:16 pm

I was having the same problem. Easier said than done.

Who do you have in your party using what when you are fighting them?

DSCrankshaw
Novice

Post by DSCrankshaw » September 28th, 2018, 11:29 pm

Yes, you do need to kill all the skeletons in one round. The key to doing that is using area attack skills and spells: sweeping strike, rain of arrows, dragon's breath, and arcane barrage (technically not area attack, but can tag a bunch of enemies quickly). And pick up Grand Conjuror early. Conjuror's Mark causes each area damage when you hit a marked enemy. That can result in a powerful chain reaction if you've marked a bunch of them, as activating one mark damages nearby enemies and triggers their marks.

I like having two practitioners (Crux and the Green Lady, in my party) as soon as you hit five character slots, both with Grand Conjuror.

Melancolie
Initiate

Post by Melancolie » September 29th, 2018, 2:36 am

I get a couple spell points (meditation) on my practitioner, pop conjurers mark on 3 skeletons and trigger them. Bye bye skeletons.

onemeg
Initiate

Post by onemeg » September 29th, 2018, 5:52 am

Ok, I don't have conjurer's mark yet, will work towards that or make a merc. Thanks everyone!

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » September 29th, 2018, 7:08 am

One thing I noticed is that once you kill one or two, they are replaced before the end of your turn. This is ridiculous.

DSCrankshaw
Novice

Post by DSCrankshaw » September 29th, 2018, 8:38 am

If they're resurrecting in the middle of your turn, that's probably a bug. They should resurrect at the beginning of your turn, which means that you need to kill all the skeletons in one round. It does work if you put an effect on them that will kill them during their turn, such as burning. I think rain of arrows will happen before they resurrect too. But if any skeletons are standing when your turn begins, all of them will resurrect.

On the plus side, they usually have much lower hp and armor than other creatures of their difficulty level.

It's annoying, but I actually think it's a neat take on the undead. They should be hard to make stay dead if they have already been brought back once.

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » September 29th, 2018, 3:51 pm

I think your right. The next time I faced them, They weren't doing that any more, but resurrecting at the start of their turn and I was able to beat them this time round.