Corrupted Ghillie Dhu

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Corrupted Ghillie Dhu

Post by CaptainPatch » September 27th, 2018, 10:26 pm

How do you beat these things?

I take on ONE of these things with 316-18th level Fighters, 2 18th level Rogues, and an 18th level Practitioner. EVERY turn I'm hammering the thing for @30 hit points (out of its 291). Then on its turn it hammers my guys for about 40-50 hit points across several characters... and ends the turn by regenerating back to 291 hit points.

There is absolutely NO WAY I'm ever going to be able to dish out 291 points of damage in ONE turn. And if my Fighters in the front rank with 15, 16, and 17 AC can't shrug off the damage the Ghillie dishes out, how can I possibly win this fight?
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

sagima
Initiate

Re: Corrupted Ghillie Dhu

Post by sagima » September 28th, 2018, 3:40 am

It wiped me out the first time I fought it but I beat it on my second try.
It heals 50 something a turn but my 2 fighters, two bards, thief? and practitioner can do more than that with four opportunities + magic + fire damage.
Moved about a bit, as he doesn't really, to minimize his damage to mostly just the guy in front of him. Not sure what level everyone is but probably similar to you as i've just mainly followed the quest line. Used the fighter insta-kill skill on 59-and-under hp to finish him off

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » September 28th, 2018, 7:26 am

I remember it regenerating around 70 per turn. It was one of the longer fights, because I couldn't burst damage it down, I had to wear it down.

By that point, I had a Practitioner with Flesh Restore and used the Bard song for temp HP and healing. It really helped get through the battle.

I also saved up MP and used a high Strength mage with Conjurer's mark for extra damage. I alternated the mental damage spell without a cooldown and physical attacks.

Honestly, you should think about using Bards and Practitioners more. Most spells don't cost Opportunity, which allows you to get in more actions per turn. My party composition was 2 Fighters, 1 Rogue, 1 Bard, and 2 Practitioners.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 28th, 2018, 9:43 am

I saw some players discussing tips for this fight over here if you are interested: https://steamcommunity.com/app/566090/d ... 910830285/

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » September 28th, 2018, 5:39 pm

Finally squeaked by with 3 Fighters, 1 Practitioner, 1 Bard (Fiona), and 1 Rogue (my main character). At conclusion, I was down by one Fighter, a 1/2 Fighter, the Practioner was at 1/2, and the Rogue was at 1/2.

Note: The Bard was using a tune that was supposed to cause melee attackers to take 17 physical dmg if they attacked the Bard or any "nearby" allies. But as best as I could ascertain, the Ghillie NEVER took any damage from this tune, even when it was slamming allies just one square to the side or diagonal to the side. (The Bard was never directly attacked.)
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » September 28th, 2018, 11:22 pm

I got lucky with my Green lady Mage (But not like that ;) ) and she ended up getting multiple uses of her Arcane Barrage spell and brought it down that way. Don't know why this glitch happens, but sometimes the game plays dumb on my behalf and lets me win. Awful nice I thought as I was having the same problem before I was able to beat it down. She was the only one left in the party and I do notice this happens whenever another party member dies, it's like it increases her opportunity perhaps.

DSCrankshaw
Novice

Post by DSCrankshaw » September 28th, 2018, 11:59 pm

Arcane Barrage has the Rapid Fire property, that lets you keep using it as long as you have spell points.

I found the most effective thing against these creatures was Gaufroi's wand. If you can unlock it all the way to third level, it adds stacks of melting once you get through the armor, which does extra damage whenever you hit the enemy. I have two practitioners, one to hit it with arcane barrage and the other with dragon breath (with Gaufroi's wand). Both of them have Grand Conjuror, and the Conjuror's Mark really adds up.

My bard uses Kael's Rudiment, which causes burning when it hits my characters, and then Falkentyne's Fury for extra damage or Wayland's to reduce its damage. The fighter had enough armor to take the hits. The rogue mostly hits it with high damage (15-25), plus a lot of crits and assassin (he'd do better if not for a bug which sometimes cause his crits to subtract rather than add damage). It's still a tough fight, but doable.