Inner Peace (skill)

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

fractalwolf
Initiate

Inner Peace (skill)

Post by fractalwolf » September 26th, 2018, 7:54 pm

I am deciding between the two highest tier Meditation skills: Inner Peace and Power Overflowing.

It seems to me that Inner Peace is rather weak since it increases the channel duration by 1. This means my caster is out for an extra turn. I suppose you save the opportunity point for the second round, however you miss out on casting spells every round. While doubling from 2 to 4 is nice, its the same as using the skill every round (minus the extra opportunity point cost).

Thoughts on this? Are there any special items (elven) or other game elements that can make Inner Peace worthwhile. Right now, Power Overflowing seems like the best all around...

Depili
Scholar

Re: Inner Peace (skill)

Post by Depili » September 26th, 2018, 10:51 pm

Compared to spellsong from bards and the vampire blade meditation is just inefficient even with all of the boosts available.

DSCrankshaw
Novice

Post by DSCrankshaw » September 29th, 2018, 6:54 pm

Power overflowing. Definitely worth it. I kind of regret not building my other practitioner that way. But I made him a cleric, so he has a stance that increases spell points instead.

In fact, find as many options for spell points that don't require using meditation as you can. It's not the most efficient use of opportunity points.

fractalwolf
Initiate

Post by fractalwolf » October 1st, 2018, 6:52 pm

Ironically, I find that meditation is a great skill once you have a rogue with Infiltrator. This lets you stay hidden for a couple rounds while meditating and soaking up some spell points for big 'bang' on round 3 (a couple bards helps too).

This strategy doesn't work with cleric - "Chant" since it cannot be used while stealthed. Its probably an unintended bug...but I'm not holding my breath for them to fix it.

Tuoweit
Acolyte

Post by Tuoweit » October 2nd, 2018, 8:59 pm

fractalwolf wrote: ↑
October 1st, 2018, 6:52 pm
"Chant" since it cannot be used while stealthed.
It's hard to be stealthy while singing.

Malygris
Initiate

Post by Malygris » November 3rd, 2018, 9:40 am

Is this the final consensus, Power Overflowing > Inner Peace? I'm in the same boat, not sure which way to go.

Rikkles
Novice

Post by Rikkles » November 4th, 2018, 7:51 am

Power overflowing with an infiltrator rogue is the way to go.

nub5
Initiate

Post by nub5 » November 4th, 2018, 11:04 am

Honestly it really depends on playstyle. Inner Peace really does require a rogue with infiltrator since you be sitting there doing nothing for one turn but being stealth ed the enemy doesn't do anything. So you can store up as much you want and go to town. I'm impatient and I like to get blasting right away so I go with Inner Peace cause my wizard is casting something on the first round of combat. To support this I use magic potions and a bard singing away.

olivia743
Initiate

Post by olivia743 » March 25th, 2019, 9:25 am

Power overflowing is beast and much better than Inner Peace.
I was also thinking to choose inner peace but found power overflowing a lot easy

Rest it's up to you what to choose

Dork Mage
Scholar

Post by Dork Mage » March 25th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Depends... If you are going to use Infiltrator rogues then Inner Peace is the way to go (this was not the case with earlier versions of the game as Inner Peace used 2-rounds of channeling).

Over Powered team: Infiltrator front and back row, Practitioners in back using Inner Peace and two Bard's giving passive skill points. The rogues start with razor strop, the bards start with one spell point and the practitioners start with six spell points. Combat last one round and only occasionally two. No opportunity points used with potions.