Harkyn's Castle [Spoilers]

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Vanaril
Initiate

Harkyn's Castle [Spoilers]

Post by Vanaril » September 26th, 2018, 6:02 am

Hi everyone,

I've created this post in hope we can help each other in regards of harkyn's castle.

Here's how to enter Harkyn's castle:
You need to solve the quest in in the forest of Inshriach name [quote]The Logician's Dinner Party[/quote] Because it will give you the needed item

The answer to this is :

From left to right:
First: Volume 4 ; Broth ; Apple
Second: Volume 1 ; Lowland Park Whiskey; Potato
Third: Volume 2 ; Cider ; Cabbage
Fourth: Carrot ; Volume 3 ; Dwarven Stout

Then give back the note to the quest giver and you'll have the "Berserker Tributes" and be able to enter Harkyn Castle

You're now in Harkyn Castle
The first puzzle is a cog one, here is the answer :
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... harkyn.jpg
Then a puzzle that I don't get at all :
http://www.noelshack.com/2018-39-3-1537 ... horses.jpg
http://www.noelshack.com/2018-39-3-1537 ... tables.jpg

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Melancolie
Initiate

Re: Harkyn's Castle [Spoilers]

Post by Melancolie » September 26th, 2018, 9:38 am

Thanks for the answers :) Dont wanna hijack your thread, but where did you find all the books. I feel like i've been literally everywhere and have been thorough, but only found book 2 and 4. Do you remember where book 1 and 3 was found?

Vanaril
Initiate

Post by Vanaril » September 26th, 2018, 10:32 am

No problem, I was going to add it at first but i'm not sure of myself 100%

I know almost for certain there is one in the temple of Vildsomething on the island.
The other one I would say Middenmaw or the castle of the island but It's possible i'm wrong.

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » September 26th, 2018, 11:40 am

Looking at this, the clue clearly refers to the 3 horses. It must be going left to right (in your picture) because the first two are 4 and the last is 7.

The first blocks are fixed in front of the horses. I tried making all of the blocks the same as the one for their horse and then rotating the last block on the 7 horse to every possible rotation. That didn't work.

I wonder if this is a repeat of the sudoku style puzzle that we saw in Kylarean's tower, with the clues telling us what a few of the rotatable blocks should be to constrain it to one solution. If so, I'm not quite sure what the clues mean.

I tried a solution where each row ran sequentially from the first character, thinking that may be the answer, but it does not solve it.

The clue is:
Three knights of chess, their hooves impress.
The first trots four, ends as before.
The next does roam, four back to home.
The last ran seven.
Now pray to the heavens.

Vanaril
Initiate

Post by Vanaril » September 26th, 2018, 11:48 am

Yes I tried a bunch of stuff too but nothing worked but to be fair, i don't understand the clue much : Beside the fact that as you say 3 knights = 3 horses
what is the difference between trot and roam for the first two horses.
I suppose the now pray to the heavens means the last tile (left after the last ran seven) have to be found randomly but I absolutely don't get which is which so i'm nowhere right now :cry:

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » September 26th, 2018, 1:13 pm

My thinking is that the horses move as knights in chess and you need to find the tiles so that you get two routes of 4 moves that return to the start and one of length 7. Was not that hard after taking out some paper, an ink pen (for marking things that need to happen), pencil and an eraser.

If you absolutely can't be arsed to solve the riddle by yourself: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... F184850C1/

Vanaril
Initiate

Post by Vanaril » September 26th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Oh thank you I'll try to resolve it myself with your explanation :)
I didn't think of chess at all as i'm not very familiar with it.

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » September 26th, 2018, 1:39 pm

The thing after that is pretty tedious, and unfortunately crashed with a fatal error when I was about 40% done...

Vanaril
Initiate

Post by Vanaril » September 26th, 2018, 1:45 pm

If I've understood correctly the hint the mouth above the door I get why you say it's tedious haha, it's gonna be fun :P
I have to sleep, work & solve the puzzle before that tho but I can't wait :lol:

Thanks again & I'll be back tomorrow :)

Shismar
Initiate

Post by Shismar » September 26th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Depili wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 1:39 pm
The thing after that is pretty tedious, and unfortunately crashed with a fatal error when I was about 40% done...
Somewhat earlier for me, only 15% I would think. I guess I'll wait a patch or three before I try this again.

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » September 26th, 2018, 2:56 pm

And the castle is done, the end part was mostly just tedious, but if you aren't a master on the combat it might take few tries. The unique reward is quite powerful

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » September 26th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Depili wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 1:13 pm
My thinking is that the horses move as knights in chess and you need to find the tiles so that you get two routes of 4 moves that return to the start and one of length 7. Was not that hard after taking out some paper, an ink pen (for marking things that need to happen), pencil and an eraser.

If you absolutely can't be arsed to solve the riddle by yourself: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... F184850C1/
Ah. Your hint made it clear how to solve it. In hindsight, it was so obvious that I can't believe that I didn't figure it out. :)
Depili wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 2:56 pm
And the castle is done, the end part was mostly just tedious, but if you aren't a master on the combat it might take few tries. The unique reward is quite powerful
I'm waiting for it to count up all of the XP to find out what the unique reward is. Even without a unique reward, this pile of XP is definitely worth the somewhat tedious fight. :)

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » September 26th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Shismar wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 2:25 pm
Depili wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 1:39 pm
Somewhat earlier for me, only 15% I would think. I guess I'll wait a patch or three before I try this again.
Lower your gfx settings considerably, it helps with the stability, you can return them to higher settings after you are done with the fight. (IMO the game isn't really even playable without ultra texture quality as most of the puzzle pieces are just blurs)

Vanaril
Initiate

Post by Vanaril » September 27th, 2018, 11:00 am

so I just finished it.
With your hint the puzzle was fairly easy :).
The fight was very tedious but not difficult at all and i'm kinda disappointed of it because there was actually no challenge for the fight and I didn't even have the team I wanted to come with at first because I felt it would be a cheese because this party is overpowered and dumb.
Concerning the reward, the XP alone is awesome and the reward is okay :).

Overall I'm happy because it was the only quest beside the main one that I still needed to do :D .

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » September 27th, 2018, 12:18 pm

Yeah, didn't take a single point of damage on the fight, was kinda expecting the last wave to be something completely different, but alas no

Tuoweit
Acolyte

Post by Tuoweit » October 2nd, 2018, 12:19 pm

Vanaril wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 6:02 am
The answer to this is :

From left to right:
First: Volume 4 ; Broth ; Apple
Second: Volume 1 ; Lowland Park Whiskey; Potato
Third: Volume 2 ; Cider ; Cabbage
Fourth: Carrot ; Volume 3 ; Dwarven Stout
At what point(s) during the main quest do you find the other two volumes (1 and 3)? I don't mind hunting for them on my own, but I just want to know if I need to go back and search for them somewhere I've already been or I just haven't been there yet (the bane of these non-linear quests).