How to enter Harkyn's Castle?

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Jamey
Acolyte

How to enter Harkyn's Castle?

Post by Jamey » September 24th, 2018, 1:08 pm

I'm about to leave Skara Brae for the Islands, so I'm working on finishing up quests before moving along. I feel like I should have found the item to put in as an offering.

The hint is: "Couldn't remember the greatest Berserker offering in Skara Brae, no, no. Just a matter of opinion."

Has anyone solved this? I feel like it's going to be obvious, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Re: How to enter Harkyn's Castle?

Post by CaptainPatch » September 24th, 2018, 4:06 pm

When I read that, I interpreted it to mean that ANY berserker item would work. (However, it probably isn't body armor as that would require a 2 x 2 space.)
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » September 24th, 2018, 11:32 pm

There is a song about a berserker in Kylearan's Tower which might hold the answer, just haven't been back there to check what it said since finding this door.

Oldschool Roleplayer
Scholar

Post by Oldschool Roleplayer » September 25th, 2018, 7:52 am

I can say it's definitely not any berserker item. I put the berserker helm as an offering, and nothing happened. I haven't tried an axe.

What was in the room with the 396 berserkers in the original Bard's Tale? Maybe that's the answer.

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » September 25th, 2018, 8:21 am

Depili wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 11:32 pm
There is a song about a berserker in Kylearan's Tower which might hold the answer, just haven't been back there to check what it said since finding this door.
Oh, yeah. There was a book or note by a berserker in Kylearan's tower as a clue to one of the puzzles. I had forgotten that.

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » September 25th, 2018, 8:33 am

Jamey wrote:
September 25th, 2018, 8:21 am
Depili wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 11:32 pm
Oh, yeah. There was a book or note by a berserker in Kylearan's tower as a clue to one of the puzzles. I had forgotten that.
Wasn't the red paint in Kylearan's tower the answer to a riddle using that as a clue? When I get back to a fast travel point, I'll have to try putting that in.

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » September 25th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Here's the note from Kylearan's Tower:
The Most Berserker
Anger and violence
Red blood not silent.
Bold and brave,
Lives in a cave.
Hairy and scary,
Doesn't drink dairy.
Tattoos and stew,
He's coming for you!

D-
Read a book and
expand your
vocabulary
You do not get that note in your inventory, so it itself isn't the solution.

I tried the Red Dye from the tower as well as Hearty Stew. I also tried every beverage that I have in my inventory (Trow Squeezins, Elven Wine, Lowland Park, Dwarven Stout, Devil's Brew, Stagswift Wine, and Selkie's Tears) based on him not drinking dairy. None of these items worked.

I'm at a complete loss here. If anyone knows that answer, I'd really like to know.

Vanaril
Initiate

Post by Vanaril » September 26th, 2018, 4:43 am

Hello
Since I couldn't find the answer and what I had tried didn't work, I've tried to bruteforced it and it didn't work either.
here is the list of the items i've tried (everything I have in fact):

Edit:
You have to do the logician Riddle in the forest first, the girl who gave you the quest will reward you with a "berserker tributes"

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » September 26th, 2018, 7:56 am

Vanaril wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 4:43 am
You have to do the logician Riddle in the forest first, the girl who gave you the quest will reward you with a "berserker tributes"
Ah. I still need to do that quest.