How to get past brambles/thorns/vines? (Did I miss something?)

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Marxorz
Novice

How to get past brambles/thorns/vines? (Did I miss something?)

Post by Marxorz » September 23rd, 2018, 7:03 pm

A few times during the game I've come across paths blocked by thick brambles. (Maybe they're called something else? Thorns? Vines?) These aren't the wooden barricades that have the dragon-bile-bomb prompt to destroy them and get past... None of my items, songs, or skills seem to break them.

Until now, those paths seem to have been unnecessary shortcuts or dinky chests. But now I think I need to get past one to progress on the main story... Am I missing another path to check out, or am I missing some way to get past these?

Marxorz
Novice

Re: How to get past brambles/thorns/vines? (Did I miss something?)

Post by Marxorz » September 23rd, 2018, 9:15 pm

After an hour of frustration I found my problem. Figured I'd post the whole thing here in case anyone else runs into it.

a) There was a puzzle I solved in the forest that opened a small area with a chest. I did't notice the KEY hanging above the chest. :(
b) That key opens the area to the village where you learn a song that clears the brambles.

grumble

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » September 23rd, 2018, 11:58 pm

Good for you. It's more gratifying when you solve your own problems. I'm right there with you actually. But was really more concerned with getting to the next area to worry about the brambles and then the new addition to the party gave me the answer. Mind you it was the first time I swear I saw brambles since I left Under-Brae.

Marxorz
Novice

Post by Marxorz » September 24th, 2018, 7:40 am

Yeah, the problem is that it is so easy to miss seeing the key, especially since the sparkling chest is the focus of the room and to loot chests you have to get so close and look down that a key hanging at head level might be missed. And once that happens you're now stuck scouring a HUGE zone for the few pixels you need... with the area behind thorns (that you can't in reality access yet) being the most obvious place that someone might be carrying a key. :P

I guess it's just a hazard of this type of game. Missing something small can stop progress completely.

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » September 24th, 2018, 9:45 am

Marxorz wrote: ↑
September 24th, 2018, 7:40 am
you're now stuck scouring a HUGE zone for the few pixels you need... with the area behind thorns (that you can't in reality access yet) being the most obvious place that someone might be carrying a key.
It's called "pixel-hunting", and I really HATE games that really on that approach for their "puzzles". You have to essentially sweep the cursor back and forth, back and forth, like a beachcomber's metal detector, a gazillion times on EVERY screen, just to be sure you didn't miss anything. Andin first-person 360-environment, that's a helluva lot of sweeping. As opposed to playing the game. Work, work, work, mindless work.

Bard's Tale IV relies on this methodology like a body relies on its spinal column. Hidden switches, plants, quest-mandatory items. Do NOT do it at your own peril.

If we can have a tune smart enough to see the precise location of enemies, even through walls, why can't we have a tune to Spot Hidden?
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 24th, 2018, 10:24 am

In contrast to the originals where at worst events were connected to your orientation in a grid square; otherwise they wer ealways tied to the square you're in, entering or exiting.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Marxorz
Novice

Post by Marxorz » September 24th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Agreed. Maybe important items (quest items, essential keys, etc) should sparkle as brightly as chests do.