Looked good , but moving on

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Sacranu99
Initiate

Looked good , but moving on

Post by Sacranu99 » September 21st, 2018, 1:53 pm

I love playing all kinds of RPG games/old DND player myself. Lately I've played Divinity Original Sin 2, best I have played in many years. I was waiting so much for Bard's Tale 4 to finally come. After about 20 hours of gameplay, I am removing it from my computer. I have never played a game that frustrates me to a point to simply exit to desktop almost every evening of play after couple of hours.
Reasons why:
-I cannot build my characters
-I gain skills , and can't use all of them in battle. Fun part in leveling up is getting new skills and using all of them in battle. Why the restrictions. What is the point. If too many skills makes the party too strong, simply balance it out with stronger enemies.
-I played games before when you can't save often, but I did not die so easily either. Long load times makes this even more tedious.
-I think I spend 1/3 of the total 20 hours just trying to find save portals, redoing same steps over and over after dying in battle that I could not retreat from. 2 steps forward, 1 step back, 3 steps forward, 1 steps back. Endless frustration.
-The inventory handling is tedious.
Bottom line, even if the music was cool and battle was somewhat ok (at least very different), I have not been so frustrated in a game for a long time.

If they ever add the auto save , I may revisit it again later. Let me know guys....lol

Lord Azlan
Initiate

Re: Looked good , but moving on

Post by Lord Azlan » September 24th, 2018, 5:22 am

Thanks for your post. Interesting to read your thoughts.

Can't say I blame you. Beginning to make adjustments myself in the limited use but getting used to the save point system.

In Beta I was hungry to save everywhere but now more confident and using them for experience gain.

Interesting that one of the side effects of using the - compromise - of having save points around has meant some players have began to focus on finding them instead of using the freedom to play without thinking about the need to save.

Agree that the long loading times is a disgrace.
My other bug bears is that the range of equipment seems to be all over the place because leather armor seems to be better than elven or chain.
The inventory system in general and the delay I have when clicking things.

Using food when its in the last column in your inventory seems to be impossible.

There seems to be a lot of little things that should have been tidied up.

I broke my own rules when purchasing this game as usually I wait until a new game is well patched and updated.

Oldschool Roleplayer
Scholar

Post by Oldschool Roleplayer » September 24th, 2018, 6:11 am

Sacranu99 wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 1:53 pm
-I can't build my characters
You can build your party, after you complete the various party members' quests. Once you pick them up, you usually get a Mercenary Token around the same time. All you have to do is go back to the Adventurer's Guild and use your token to replace the quest NPC.
Sacranu99 wrote:
-I gain skills , and can't use all of them in battle. Fun part in leveling up is getting new skills and using all of them in battle. Why the restrictions. What is the point. If too many skills makes the party too strong, simply balance it out with stronger enemies.
This is their method of resource management--it's part of the new combat system. It probably doesn't mean anything to you right now, but later in the game, you'll have more Opportunity Points each turn than any one character has mastery slots. It prevents you from spamming all of your action points on a single character. Otherwise, I'd just build my Rogue as a glass cannon, load up Razor Strop and spam all of his incredibly powerful attacks.
Sacranu99 wrote:
-I played games before when you can't save often, but I did not die so easily either. Long load times makes this even more tedious.
-I think I spend 1/3 of the total 20 hours just trying to find save portals, redoing same steps over and over after dying in battle that I could not retreat from. 2 steps forward, 1 step back, 3 steps forward, 1 steps back. Endless frustration.
You can lower the difficulty if the game is too difficult for you. It's a new kind of combat system and there's not a whole lot of randomness anymore. It's your game to play as you like. There's no shame in lowering the difficulty until you get acclimated to everything.
Sacranu99 wrote:
-The inventory handling is tedious.
I can't argue with that. I suspect they'll improve this with a later patch. For me, it's the mouse sensitivity and the 'flicker bug' that makes this a big pain.
Sacranu99 wrote:
If they ever add the auto save , I may revisit it again later. Let me know guys....lol
They won't add an auto save, but if you can quit at any time without needing to find a save point. The save points just restore you if you die. I'm assuming you don't consume them. So here's a trick: once you complete a map, circle back and consume every save point for the extra experience points. That can easily add 2-3 levels by mid-game.

Hope this helps you out, if you decide to give this game another shot!

Hieronymous Alloy
Acolyte

Post by Hieronymous Alloy » September 24th, 2018, 7:47 am

I really enjoyed the game up to about level 15 but lack of respec is a killer. If they patch in respecs I'll come back to it.