Puzzle weapon

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Oldschool Roleplayer
Scholar

Re: Puzzle weapon

Post by Oldschool Roleplayer » September 21st, 2018, 6:11 am

So I've got what's probably a stupid question, but I have a massive mental block:

How exactly do I insert the seed into a puzzle weapon? I picked up Kael's Axe and solved the super-easy puzzle on the haft. It tells me the color seed I need to insert, but that's it--nothing more. I can't even move the lettering anymore until I back out of the examination of the weapon.

Based on other threads, I know I don't have to put the weapon in one of those Elven shrines or anything, so how else can I insert a seed?

rmcoen
Acolyte

Post by rmcoen » September 21st, 2018, 6:41 am

UPDATE to previous post: Graphics worked better last night, I was able to find the puzzles on the weapons!

1) What *are* those Elven Shrines for?

2) These puzzle weapons are worse than the weapons I already have. Like the "STR +5, 50% on fire" (after unlock), where the character's standard weapon is "STR +5, CON +2, INT +1, Spell Points +2, Reduces the cost of the action by 1 Opportunity". Lame. I have a staff that provides healing when I take a non-hostile action... right, why would I take a non-hostile action? There's a mage-hunting bow (weak, dispells 1-2 spell points), but I fire arrows at half speed because it doesn't make Loose Arrows more efficient, in addition to providing no bonuses beyond STR.

chaney
Acolyte

Post by chaney » September 21st, 2018, 7:42 am

Double click the seed, when you the holder is open.

Oldschool Roleplayer
Scholar

Post by Oldschool Roleplayer » September 21st, 2018, 9:10 am

chaney wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 7:42 am
Double click the seed, when you the holder is open.
How can I do that, when the inspection window occupies the whole screen? If I click the back button, everything resets to the way it was, so that won't work either.

chaney
Acolyte

Post by chaney » September 21st, 2018, 9:13 am

Click on the part that opened, and it will open a window with choices to install.

Oldschool Roleplayer
Scholar

Post by Oldschool Roleplayer » September 21st, 2018, 9:27 am

chaney wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 9:13 am
Click on the part that opened, and it will open a window with choices to install.
Oh wow--I would have never even noticed that. Thanks, it works fine now!

Smokenmirroz
Initiate

Post by Smokenmirroz » September 22nd, 2018, 8:17 am

on Jolting Axe, what am I missing on the handle puzzle? I've tried all sorts of designs with no luck..

tomasp3n
Initiate

Post by tomasp3n » September 23rd, 2018, 2:56 pm

Smokenmirroz wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 8:17 am
on Jolting Axe, what am I missing on the handle puzzle? I've tried all sorts of designs with no luck..
It's randomised I believe so I can't answer for that specific one, but I guess it's one of the slide puzzles? I've solved one of those and guess I can upload a picture. The second one I have I can't seem to get right although I've tried different combinations. It should be a little more obvious which parts go where than it is, with the pieces shifting in how they look when you move them. Really annoying.
Last edited by tomasp3n on September 23rd, 2018, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smokenmirroz
Initiate

Post by Smokenmirroz » September 23rd, 2018, 4:43 pm

I figured it out. rotate the handle. becomes obvious..

tomasp3n
Initiate

Post by tomasp3n » September 23rd, 2018, 9:24 pm

Smokenmirroz wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 4:43 pm
I figured it out. rotate the handle. becomes obvious..
Oh, it was the "stream" then? Than one is a lot easier and nowhere near as frustrating as the slide ones.

Topper
Initiate

Post by Topper » September 24th, 2018, 1:41 am

Shocking Mangars Raliquary

Riddle:

"From the top of the Wyre Lighthouse, look to the heavens for inspiration"

Does anyone know what order the tones played in ??????

luckydav88
Initiate

Post by luckydav88 » September 28th, 2018, 6:07 pm

You can get the "clue" again by interacting with the axe. There's basically a button that makes some rune-looking scribbles pop out.

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » September 29th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Have you already noticed that the reliquaries are also puzzle weapons?
rmcoen wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 6:41 am
UPDATE to previous post: Graphics worked better last night, I was able to find the puzzles on the weapons!

1) What *are* those Elven Shrines for?

2) These puzzle weapons are worse than the weapons I already have. Like the "STR +5, 50% on fire" (after unlock), where the character's standard weapon is "STR +5, CON +2, INT +1, Spell Points +2, Reduces the cost of the action by 1 Opportunity". Lame. I have a staff that provides healing when I take a non-hostile action... right, why would I take a non-hostile action? There's a mage-hunting bow (weak, dispells 1-2 spell points), but I fire arrows at half speed because it doesn't make Loose Arrows more efficient, in addition to providing no bonuses beyond STR.
It is the specials, many of them are stupid good, like rending. And there are elven weapons with stupid good stats also, you just need to find them in well hidden and protected places...

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » September 29th, 2018, 9:18 pm

On the general subject of Elvish puzzle weapons,...

I've been finding a few weapons where I solved two puzzles that each took a gem. But the third puzzle seems to just reveal a rhyme which sounds like what the weapon is for in general without there being any additional boon power added.

Am I interpreting that right, or is there supposed to be another stone setting to be filled that I just haven't noticed?
Last edited by CaptainPatch on September 30th, 2018, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

DSCrankshaw
Novice

Post by DSCrankshaw » September 29th, 2018, 11:41 pm

The answer is it depends. Sometimes you'll need to kill a specific enemy, and then you'll get a new gem slot for the third boon. And sometimes you'll need to find an elven shrine that matches the poem. It'll have the exact same language. You'll get the boon by placing it in the shrine--no need for a gem.

One thing I've noticed is that the language of the shrine suggests where it's located. That's a clue you can use to figure out where to look for it.

Depili
Scholar

Post by Depili » September 30th, 2018, 3:45 am

There are also some weapons where the third upgrade is locked behind music and the weapon provides a hint where to look for the tune to play. I found two more clear indications of a tune than weapons requiring them. Might have been due to RNG not giving me nearly enough blue seeds to insert into every weapon requiring them (but ended up with like 20 yellow seeds...)