Kylearan's Tower Fire Puzzle Room

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

sirtechfan
Novice

Kylearan's Tower Fire Puzzle Room

Post by sirtechfan » July 14th, 2018, 3:21 pm

So I've stopped all the cogs from spinning and the fire has stopped as well, but I can't figure out how to get the head statue. Any clues for me?

lefty1117
Acolyte

Re: Kylearan's Tower Fire Puzzle Room

Post by lefty1117 » July 14th, 2018, 4:01 pm

Keep at it until you get the right combination - that cage will open when you get it right.

Zortok
Novice

Post by Zortok » July 14th, 2018, 4:09 pm

From memory this was unclear/tricky - unlike other cog puzzles where objective is either to get them all turning or all stopped, this one was solved with getting just one of the cog "subsets" turning and that was independent to whether fire spouts stopped or not (you exit through the opened gate which you have to do because one of the earlier bridge puzzles has been reset so you cannot go back even if you wanted to but you have to get very close to the head to pick it up)

sirtechfan
Novice

Post by sirtechfan » July 14th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Thanks, I'll try it again later tonight!

Hibernator
Initiate

Post by Hibernator » July 14th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Also you have to point at the head just right to pick it up. I must have walked around it 5 times wondering what I was missing.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » July 14th, 2018, 7:52 pm

This was foreshadowed by an earlier puzzle not too far before, where some instructions (was it a note? I can't rememeber) pointed out that many cog puzzles had multiple solutions, that merely stopping the red cogs would open a door or operate some other mechanism, but a combination of moving cogs would often trigger a different result.

Zortok
Novice

Post by Zortok » July 14th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Zadkiel wrote:
July 14th, 2018, 7:52 pm
This was foreshadowed by an earlier puzzle not too far before, where some instructions (was it a note? I can't rememeber) pointed out that many cog puzzles had multiple solutions, that merely stopping the red cogs would open a door or operate some other mechanism, but a combination of moving cogs would often trigger a different result.
Yes, as long as the puzzle setter is consistent then the challenge is fair - in that case if red cogs represent moving or dangerous items (such as swinging pendulum axes or fire spouts) and you stop the red cog then you stop the dangerous item(s) and no other cogs should have that effect. Logically gates should be opened by getting a currently stationery non-red cog(s) to turn and/or by getting a currently turning non-red cog(s) to stop via re-arranging other cogs. That seems obvious because the mechanism represented as being mechanical but I am not sure that it is true for all puzzles (not least because it is possible that some should have multiple solutions)

sirtechfan
Novice

Post by sirtechfan » July 15th, 2018, 9:47 am

Found the right combo finally, just a lot of trial and error.

Now I can't seem to find the eager heart item and I believe I've cleared the entire tower. I'm obviously missing an area but I feel like I've backtracked everywhere. Can anyone give me a clue as to where I should be looking?

Thanks.

Brian the Fist
Novice

Post by Brian the Fist » July 15th, 2018, 10:10 am

sirtechfan wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 9:47 am

Now I can't seem to find the eager heart item and I believe I've cleared the entire tower. I'm obviously missing an area but I feel like I've backtracked everywhere. Can anyone give me a clue as to where I should be looking?

Thanks.
back to the hall of swinging axes...and wall cone-darts. Where the cog puzzle is, is also a secret door that opens to the darts when the cogs are placed correctly.
You face 99 Berserkers,
99 Berserkers,
99 Berserkers,
99 Berserkers.

Does your stalwart band [F]ight or [R]un?

sirtechfan
Novice

Post by sirtechfan » July 15th, 2018, 11:07 am

Brian the Fist wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 10:10 am
sirtechfan wrote:
July 15th, 2018, 9:47 am

Thanks.
back to the hall of swinging axes...and wall cone-darts. Where the cog puzzle is, is also a secret door that opens to the darts when the cogs are placed correctly.
Hmm, I found the secret door earlier that opens to the hallway with the darts. I disabled the darts and thought I found everything, but I'll go back and look. It's probably another situation where I need to do more to the cog puzzle than just disable the darts. Thanks.

DNACowboy
Scholar

Post by DNACowboy » October 1st, 2018, 8:22 am

Final position:

This poster receives no commercial consideration or work from Inxile, he truly believes Bards Tale IV: Barrows Deep to be a great game and one he enjoys on a daily basis

mfr
Initiate

Post by mfr » October 8th, 2018, 12:01 am

I may be able to shed a little light on this problem. I have found that when I first get to the puzzle it has the same set of cogs as in DNACoboyy's snapshot but in a different position. However, if I go away and do something else or break off playing the two cog bar below the top red cog is missing. That of course means that the puzzle cannot be solved. I have not investigated further to identify the precise actions necessary to make the bar disappear. I have however solved the puzzle by tackling it as soon as I deal with the flamed.

I do not have the Steam version, but perhaps someone who does can copy this comment to the Steam forum where a dev has commented that they cannot duplicate the problem.