Backer Beta discussion

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Mamut
Initiate

Re: Backer Beta discussion

Post by Mamut » August 12th, 2018, 5:15 am

Every one needs to make their own decisions and have their opinions. I for myself will go on and buy and play the game. I cant understand why people think the maker betrayed this series only because they not made a new Bards Tale the same way like in the old parts. I just want to remind you that the technical possibilities improved and not everyone who played part 1 - 3 was born allready who wants to play part 4. Just wait until the game ist finished until you can say its bad and i dont buy it. In the mean time here is the beta, tell what you think is bad and how it xould be improved and if it is possible the game will be made better with your input.

I had some fun allready even if i dont understood some of the riddle trees (as i call them). I am not a native speaker and i hope the translation to german will be good so i know what these riddles meant. I was surprised that with the right party and equipment you can even defeat groups who are higher level and difficulty, tho it taking a long time if the rogue is the only surviving member. I think its a good 4th part wich has the history of the 3 other parts and some new ideas mixed in to make it more interesting to all not just these old gamers like me.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » August 12th, 2018, 9:55 am

Mamut wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 5:15 am
Every one needs to make their own decisions and have their opinions. I for myself will go on and buy and play the game. I cant understand why people think the maker betrayed this series only because they not made a new Bards Tale the same way like in the old parts. I just want to remind you that the technical possibilities improved and not everyone who played part 1 - 3 was born allready who wants to play part 4.
Technology is never the issue when these unfortunate choices occur. Improved technology is always welcome; but how it's used is not.

It's been difficult (very difficult) to understand how other people who post this most common argument (regardless of game or studio) seemingly make the assumption that the contention held by disgruntled series fans is that the new game isn't the old game. No one wants the old game; they have the old game. What they want is an appropriate labeling of the new game; and that the new game—if it is a numbered sequel (else who cares)— follows the tenets of the series, and builds upon its foundation.

The most glaring example of this gone wrong, is Bethesda's treatment of the Fallout IP. They turned one of the greatest RPG series ever made into a franken-shooter; starting with their first attempt, and refining it (further away from) with their second. They could have easily used the technology at their disposal to create a proper Fallout 3, but they did not. They chose to make a TES clone set in a simplified (and inaccurate) version of the Fallout world setting. This was a sequel not marketed to the series fans. There is no reason to make such a thing—except as a shameless cash-grab. None of their intended market would likely know anything but the famous name; and they provide nothing of what made that name famous.

It is like labeling a spiced Nutella spread as some kind of new Vegemite; playing off of the name's reputation to garner interest... but it is only the name on the jar, with no Vegemite in it all. The only ones who would know the difference (and complain, or at least out them about it) are the ones most looking forward to it—and who will get the least out of it... because of who it's really intended for; it is not meant for them.

The use of the name is a marketing gimmick; to sell something else than what the name represents.

It does not matter the merit of the newer product—it could even have been a far better game than the others; it IS a far better game at its own intentions, because they don't compete (in the least) at the same goals. But it loses hands down for using the numbered name; the name implies the goal of the experience—which it had no intention of delivering.

*Imagine a Halo 6 or TES7 that was a deep and well crafted graphic adventure. Do you see the issue with that?

Lord of Riva
Adventurer

Post by Lord of Riva » August 12th, 2018, 11:11 am

Gizmo wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 9:55 am
Snip
Good post and i am not attached to the old games in the least.

It all remains a bit vague what it means to be a real successor but i think Gizmos analogy with the future of the other games rings true.

Its not that I personally expected something specific from Barrows Deep, it is however in a lot of ways not what I was expecting and that is kind of a Problem.

And I'm not even thinking that the game will be bad, it will however not be great either.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » August 12th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Mamut wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 5:15 am
I think its a good 4th part wich has the history of the 3 other parts...
What history?

Dork Mage
Scholar

Post by Dork Mage » August 12th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Rad The Bard wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 11:58 pm
My opinion of what inexile are calling “BT4”-

Even though I’ve paid for the privilege: I DON’T want my name in the credits.

I’ve played the beta for several hours and I’m dismayed that they are pushing this as “a true sequel to the Bard’s Tale trilogy”

I for one will boycott Inxile in the future.

Once a company show this much disrespect to a franchise, they lose the trust of many people that back kickstarters.

I’d be surprised if they ever have another successful campaign.
InXile moved to CrowdOx to cater to investors, who may or may not care about the game but do want a successful (profitable) game. If BT4 makes the investors money then the campaign was a success....

Gizmo wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 9:55 am
The most glaring example of this gone wrong, is Bethesda's treatment of the Fallout IP. They turned one of the greatest RPG series ever made into a franken-shooter; starting with their first attempt, and refining it (further away from) with their second.
The sequel numbering was to emphasize that all present and future Fallout (Bard's Tale) will be this new format. As suggested by NMA (No Mutants Allowed), It could of been "Fallout: DC Wastelands" and there would be no major complaints... except that it would leave open the possibility of a "true" FO3 sequel which Bethesda (InXile) is making clear that the present style IS the future.

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » August 12th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Dork Mage wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 1:36 pm

The sequel numbering was to emphasize that all present and future Fallout (Bard's Tale) will be this new format. As suggested by NMA (No Mutants Allowed), It could of been "Fallout: DC Wastelands" and there would be no major complaints... except that it would leave open the possibility of a "true" FO3 sequel which Bethesda (InXile) is making clear that the present style IS the future.
God, please no.

If the angle the 2004 game and this barrows deep is the "future", I don't want the future to happen. It puts a mockery to the memory of what was before them.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » August 12th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Spectralshade wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 3:07 pm
If the angle the 2004 game and this barrows deep is the "future", I don't want the future to happen. It puts a mockery to the memory of what was before them.
As has already happened with the Fallout IP.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » August 13th, 2018, 2:43 am

Gizmo wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 4:19 pm
Spectralshade wrote:
August 12th, 2018, 3:07 pm
As has already happened with the Fallout IP.
With the slight difference, that Bethesda didn't crowd-fund the game, masquerading as the heroes of old-school, so it could pretty much to be expected. On the other hand, it is similar in that regard, that they've revamped their shitty TES3 engine to create the game, just like BTIV is "using assets" from their shitty VR adventure game, Mage's Tale. Oh, and this is the second time InXile releases a game under the 'Bard's Tale' name, that has nothing to do with the classic Bard's Tale trilogy.
Also this David Rogers guy is even worse, than Todd Howard. As mentioned before by psychobilly, he will forever live in the Bard's Tale hall of shame.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » August 13th, 2018, 8:59 am

1. These more recent posts should be in the Not Bard's Tale thread. Move this conversation there. This thread is for specifically discussing the beta.

2. Do not attack individual developers on this forum. If you want to do that, go to some other site.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » August 14th, 2018, 3:09 pm

First of all let me say this is a excellent edition to one of my favorite series, you guys did a great job at evolving this series and I am loving every minute of it.

Now for a problem that I had.

If I use the skill that poisons my first attack in the next round and then use Hide in Shadows skill afterwards I get a fatal error message and the game crashes. If I Hide in Shadow first and then apply the poison, then it works as it should.

At random times there has been times when I went to engage in combat, I get that quick zoom action but nothing else, combat doesn't start and the "first strike" message doesn't come up either.