Party Building and Player Agency

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: Party Building and Player Agency

Post by thebruce » April 18th, 2018, 6:08 am

... but please DO continue to discuss the concern in this thread as well :)
(since of course that's only a vote thread)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Jademonk
Initiate

Post by Jademonk » April 18th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Done. Thanks for the avatar!

Tannenbernie
Initiate

Post by Tannenbernie » July 13th, 2018, 9:43 am

As a big fan of oldschool games and a player who experienced The Bards Tale on C64 as my 1st RPG ever when i was about 12 years old i was looking forward to the new Bards Tale. I already supported Wasteland which was also a childhood memory and loved the new version. There is nothing better than sitting together with a friend and a beer in front of your PC, creating a funny party (which sometimes can take many hours) and talk about the good old times when we were childs and played the original game together.

So i was hoping for these moments in Bards Tale too - sitting in front of the screen with a friend and a beer, creating funny characters and see if we can beat the game with our party. But when i read about the new details from the game i was shocked. Starting with only one char? Taking predefined Chars? Being able to switch them only later in the game? What idiocy is that? It is against everthing that the good old games stand for. If i want to play with a predefined character then i can play a freaking mainstream game, there are thousands of it and i dont like any of those. Bards Tale should have an adventurers guild whre you create your characters and start the adventure with your prebuild party. Everything else is bull and the opposite of everything which i ever wanted when backing the game.

lefty1117
Acolyte

Post by lefty1117 » July 13th, 2018, 9:55 am

I think I agree, though it won't be a deal breaker for me. But I do think it's a problem that needs looking at, especially as it appears that the new characters you can make, by the time you can use them your other party members are fairly ahead in levels and you're far enough in the questline that level 1's are going to get rocked. Which is what is happening to me.

Also I wonder, are we going to have to go through this tutorial phase with the premade characters every time we start a new game? I understand the desire to have some premades, games like Divinity Original Sin use them really well and they can provide better story elements, but DOS does allow for full character creation from the start. I think the way BT is handling it needs some tweaking. An idea might be to allow the player an option to customize each of the three characters you find in the first part of the game.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » July 13th, 2018, 10:00 am

Especially if there is no random encounter mechanic to help get the lower levels up to par; and a quick random encounter mechanic... not these long drawn out battles that take eons to complete just for a few XP. The beauty of the classics was you could grind for low level characters with battles in town that lasted 10 seconds. Not so here. Definitely.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

SuperDave17
Initiate

Post by SuperDave17 » February 12th, 2019, 10:52 pm

Just out of curiosity, is there any special benefit to the Pure Shield that makes it an improvement on a Diamond Shield that provides the same AC? Saving throw bonus?