Backer Beta discussion

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

phimseto
Developer

Backer Beta discussion

Post by phimseto » July 11th, 2018, 7:52 am

For when we release the backer beta, this will be the place to discuss it.

Beta Version 1.1 (07/18/18)

Hi all, we recently updated the beta to 1.1, which addresses a few known issues.

[*]You’re no longer able to inspect enemy difficulty through walls. This will result in a lot fewer random chatter moments from your party as you’re exploring.

[*]Fixed several instances of Taunt not correctly modifying enemy behavior, which resulted in taunted enemies not attacking the taunter. Archers should now be much more susceptible to mockery.

[*]Fixed several issues in Kylearan's Tower in which you could get stuck inside certain rooms.

[*]Fixed a crash related to concerned citizens using Mangar’s Mind Jab.

[*]Fixed an issue in which characters armed with puzzle weapons would trigger the puzzle weapon’s effect on themselves when they were struck with a trap.

Major Known Issues as of 07/12/18

As is normal in a game's development, there are many small issues present in this first beta build. Below is a list of the larger issues with some workarounds.

Main Menu / Options Menu

[*]"Restore Defaults" option is non-functional.
[*]Changing the "Texture Quality" and "Model Quality" does not affect the game environment.
[*]Accessing the Graphic setup in full-screen mode may cause some display issues.
[*]Several previously changed settings display their default values after reopening the Options menu
[*]Button mashing "save game" repeatedly causes significant performance drop
[*]Changing "Games Difficulty" in the Gameplay settings will in-fact change the games difficulty, but closing and opening the option menu will reset the game difficulty dropdown to read as "Normal." This should not change your games difficulty however.

Conversation/ NPC Animations

[*]Facial animation can desync from their audio in some instances
[*]Some NPCs are missing subtitles
[*]Some characters will keep playing conversation animations after the line being spoken is completed.

Character Creation

[*]While in character creation, Bards and Practitioners can be holding multiple objects in hands when switching between cultures.
[*]During character leveling, swapping tabs resets assigned Skill Points.

HUD / UI Issues

[*]Opening the Pause menu when the victory screen is about to vanish causes a soft lock (crash) of the game.
[*]If you really want to cheat, you can buy something at a vendor, use it, undo the transaction, and keep the benefit of the item. We're not judging but some might say you're a bad person for doing this.
[*]Zooming the map in is annoying as it always targets the same spot in the map.
[*]Hovering over a buff / debuff icon when it is about to expire can cause a tool tip to get stuck on the screen.
[*]Interacting with lore notes causes a redundant "gained a note" pop-up to be displayed.
[*]You want to dupe items? Drag and hold it as you close the inventory window. See vendor bug above to decide if you should feel guilty for doing this.
[*]Equipping certain items may cause display issues in the preview in Character Sheet
[*]Crux's character preview is not complete.
[*]Pressing Z in some levels will cause earthquakes
[*]It is possible to interact with an ancient luck stone during its dissolve animation after it has been consumed
[*]Entering a merchant dialog with Party HUD open causes the conversation window to be displayed over the vendor's inventory
[*]You might be unable to close inventory, map or skill tree screen if any two of them were opened simultaneously with the pause menu. So don't open them simultaneously.

Combat

[*]It is possible to trigger enemy detection through some walls
[*]Combat summary screen sometimes disappears immediately after the fight. You destroyed that hard.
[*]In rare instances, it is possible to launch the "charge" interaction on enemies behind impassable objects. This can lead to the party getting stuck and unable to advance.
[*]It is possible to Taunt enemies out of the ability's range.
[*]Fatherite Paladins attempting to use the Shield Wall ability causes a performance slowdown that may lead to a soft lock of the game. Spoiler: Fatherites are bad.
[*]Enemy channeled attacks are showing wrong attack preview info.
[*]Some damage preview calculations are off when there are multiple attacks or passives that change DMG numbers.
[*]Targeting highlight suggesting usage of the abilities that deal mental damage is not reliable
[*]Performance times out when Fatherite Paladins attempt to use the Shield Wall ability and the fight may softlock
[*]Sweeping Slash ability deals double damage to enemies when it hits three targets at once. That's just a bonus.

Dungeons and Areas Issues

[*]Damage dealt by traps may trigger passive abilities from boons on puzzle weapons.
Known work-around: quitting and reloading your game, or changing zones, will undo any lasting effects.
[*]Some Save Totems are not granting experience upon being consumed.
[*][Kylearan's Tower] It is possible to get stuck in the pond in the east wing of the first floor. Mangar stole the "No Swimming" sign.
[*][Kylearan's Tower] You can step off from the elevator after activation. Don't do this in real life.
[*][Kylearan's Tower] If you solve the first offering puzzle and leave the level before the door finishes opening, one door will be permanently closed.
[*][Skara Brae Underground] Several map assets disappear when observed from a distance.
[*][Skara Brae Underground] Combat placement fails for groups of enemies located on Night Archer street.
[*][Skara Brae Underground] Don't get the Elven Long Sword Puzzle Weapon while your inventory is full. Bad things will happen.
[*][Skara Brae Underground] The second tutorial fight may have combat grid misaligned when approached from the side.
Known work-around: Attack this group from the front. Leeeerooooy Jenkins!
[*][Skara Brae Above] Title has a small chance to lock up during the Trow Mercenary combat after the first wave.
[*][Skara Brae Above] Concerned Citizens may target an incapacitated character with Mangar's Mind Jab, which could cause a crash.

List of Quests that you can pick up but not finish in the beta:

[*]Take the Highroad
[*]The Dark Mirror
[*]Tortuga's Swim
[*]A Brother's Bond
[*]The Holy Path
[*]A Hero's Rest

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: Backer Beta discussion

Post by thebruce » July 11th, 2018, 8:36 am

Will it work with highly reduced graphic settings so I can actually play it reasonably this time? :lol: :geek: ;)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

lefty1117
Acolyte

Post by lefty1117 » July 11th, 2018, 2:37 pm

What will the process be? Will we get a key via email etc? Will it be on Steam? Is it the full game or limited to certain areas?

UPDATE - it's a Steam key and downloaded thorugh STeam, it's lined to the Bard's Tale IV steam page, which will make it nice and easy for broadcasts, posting screenshots, etc.
Last edited by lefty1117 on July 12th, 2018, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 11th, 2018, 5:12 pm

Proooooobably a link in a Kickstarter email to CrowdOx or whatever which will let you get the key. Or an email with the key. I'm going to assume that alpha won't turn into betas.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

lefty1117
Acolyte

Post by lefty1117 » July 12th, 2018, 8:48 am

Just got my beta key and am downloading. I am soooo excited, after so many years, to actually be playing a Bard's Tale game again!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » July 12th, 2018, 10:16 am

So right now I have one question for those with beta access:

1. How many customization options are there?
1.a. How many voice packs?
1.b. How many portraits?
1.b.i. How many portraits per culture/gender? Do some cultures have more than others?

That seems like more than one question, but really it's just one!

The IGN character creation video showed six voice packs per gender and no portrait options before they got bored and moved on.

lefty1117
Acolyte

Post by lefty1117 » July 12th, 2018, 11:06 am

slightly bummed because i took a bunch of steam pictures but the game is "private" so I can't post them on the steam channel.

I don't have a mercenary token yet to be able to create my own character. I have stuck with Melody so far. I'm still in the tutorial section I think I have Melody and just recruited Wringneck or whatever his name is lol, and I'm on my way towards Dalgliesh the surprisingly tall dwarf. The graphics look good, though the framerate certainly isn't at 60fps (running a 1070 and I have 32GB ram). Some late texture load-in type of stuff, typical in a beta. Surprisingly few bugs right now though I'm not very far in. I did report one "suggestion" because I wasn't sure if it's a bug or a game design decision- there was an object I needed to interact with to progress in a quest, but it wouldn't highlight for me unless I switched to that quest as the active tracked quest.

So far, I like what I'm seeing. Needs more polish but it looks pretty good. Very, very early though.

lefty1117
Acolyte

Post by lefty1117 » July 12th, 2018, 11:09 am

One more quick note - not a major gameplay or anything but a brought a smile to my face ... the title screen is the original Bard's Tale box art with the updated painting of the Inn, with the bard singing to a few listeners. When you start, it zooms in a bit and then animates while the bard sings the original intro song from Bard's Tale 1. Fully voiced and animated. I enjoyed that

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » July 12th, 2018, 11:45 am

lefty1117 wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 11:06 am
I don't have a mercenary token yet to be able to create my own character. I have stuck with Melody so far. I'm still in the tutorial section I think I have Melody and just recruited Wringneck or whatever his name is lol, and I'm on my way towards Dalgliesh the surprisingly tall dwarf.
Any estimate how much game time there is before making your own characters? Is it 10 minutes with Melody & crew? 10 hours?

Zadkiel
Scholar

Post by Zadkiel » July 12th, 2018, 11:47 am

lefty1117 wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 11:09 am
One more quick note - not a major gameplay or anything but a brought a smile to my face ... the title screen is the original Bard's Tale box art with the updated painting of the Inn, with the bard singing to a few listeners. When you start, it zooms in a bit and then animates while the bard sings the original intro song from Bard's Tale 1. Fully voiced and animated. I enjoyed that
https://youtu.be/47T2JHTDKvA

Brian the Fist
Novice

Post by Brian the Fist » July 12th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Zadkiel wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 11:47 am

WOW! Fantastic!! Thank you for posting!! :D :mrgreen: :geek:
You face 99 Berserkers,
99 Berserkers,
99 Berserkers,
99 Berserkers.

Does your stalwart band [F]ight or [R]un?

lefty1117
Acolyte

Post by lefty1117 » July 12th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Zombra wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 11:45 am
lefty1117 wrote:
I don't have a mercenary token yet to be able to create my own character. I have stuck with Melody so far. I'm still in the tutorial section I think I have Melody and just recruited Wringneck or whatever his name is lol, and I'm on my way towards Dalgliesh the surprisingly tall dwarf.
Any estimate how much game time there is before making your own characters? Is it 10 minutes with Melody & crew? 10 hours?
Hm ... I've been going kind of slow and had to redo a fight a couple of times. I'm about 2 hours of playtime maybe, perhaps 3, and I think I'm just about to do the last fight on the opening quest line. Believe after that it should open up more.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » July 12th, 2018, 12:57 pm

lefty1117 wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 12:55 pm
Zombra wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 11:45 am
Hm ... I've been going kind of slow and had to redo a fight a couple of times. I'm about 2 hours of playtime maybe, perhaps 3, and I think I'm just about to do the last fight on the opening quest line. Believe after that it should open up more.
Thanks, so call it maybe 2-4 hours before we can make our own characters. #informative

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » July 12th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Zombra wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 12:57 pm
Thanks, so call it maybe 2-4 hours before we can make our own characters. #informative
If this is true then :x

tank0625
Initiate

Post by tank0625 » July 12th, 2018, 1:20 pm

It would nice to be able to exit out of the character creation area with the escape key. If you're in the middle of a character creation and decided to change your mind. You can go back to the menu area.

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » July 12th, 2018, 1:24 pm

lefty1117 wrote:
Some late texture load-in type of stuff, typical in a beta
Unreal tends to be a bit that way anyway. I've built some things before with that engine, and my recollection was that unless I did something explicit to alter the behavior, almost everything was demand-loaded (albeit usually quickly).

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » July 12th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Zadkiel wrote:
July 12th, 2018, 11:47 am
That's pretty cool.

word5mith
Initiate

Post by word5mith » July 12th, 2018, 2:09 pm

I do hate to be THAT guy but when should we be expecting to get our Beta Keys at the latest? I'm pretty excited to get to try this out.

Nystrom
Acolyte

Post by Nystrom » July 12th, 2018, 2:36 pm

3440x1440 graphics settings is currently not working.

when you do 2560x1440 though (on a 3440x1440) it does take up the entire screen - but it's obviously distorted because 2560 <> 3440

DNACowboy
Scholar

Post by DNACowboy » July 12th, 2018, 3:52 pm

I've just been transported back THIRTY TWO YEARS lol! And what a game! So far, BT4 is everything I had hope for and more. Bless you Inexile for rebooting the IP. I'm sure I will be forwarding bugs to the team forthwith but until then......Slàinte!
'Til men of old
For blood and gold
Had rescued Skara Brae.
"
Tales of The Unknown