Just Played The Alpha

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

lancec
Initiate

Just Played The Alpha

Post by lancec » June 8th, 2018, 1:15 pm

And I have a few questions:

Why do so many of the abilities auto select who the action is performed against? For example woodsman's chop doesn't let me pick and it seems odd that I can hit the person in front of me even if he's 2 squares back but I can't hit somebody diagonally?

Do I truly only get to select from a handful of spells to cast during combat? In the original Bard's Tale you could cast any spell that your character knows. In this one I have to pre-select 3 spells (from my mastery book) that my mage can use? That seems odd since there were quite a few spells available in the earlier games and choosing just 3 of them seems quite limiting.

When a character dies in combat he/she just gets back up at the end? I hope that's just for this demo because that is a huge departure from the past. I remember having to work to save up gold to resurrect a valuable member of the team who had been killed. Now as long as just 1 guy makes it through everybody is o.k. So I guess that means no temples or resurrection spells...

Are there no defensive abilities? Something to protect you from archers, spells etc?

demeisen
Explorer

Re: Just Played The Alpha

Post by demeisen » June 8th, 2018, 2:34 pm

lancec wrote:
June 8th, 2018, 1:15 pm
Do I truly only get to select from a handful of spells to cast during combat?

When a character dies in combat he/she just gets back up at the end?
Related: those were also the #1 and #3 fan-nominated requests from the Alpha item vote (rest of results in this thread).

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » June 9th, 2018, 8:14 am

And once again another great example of why sticking to the brand gameplay is important. While the game standalone may be just fine, if not wonderful and award winning, that nagging phrase which is going to keep coming up will ever ring true - "it's not Bard's Tale" :|
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 9th, 2018, 9:04 am

The gameplay seems to copy Frayed Knights rather heavily. :?
(Even including the immortal PCs, and the spawning loot bag/chest)

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » June 9th, 2018, 11:57 am

Looking at the demo, parts of the game remind me of the following:

Dialogue - Fallout 3 / Skyrim
Combat - Amberstar / Lords of Xulima (Haven't played Frayed Knights, but I see from Gizmo's post.)
Puzzles - The Room
Exploration - Any game with "awesome graphixx"
Interface - shovelware MMOs
? ? ? - The Bard's Tale

No, name dropping stuff from the classics won't make it more Bard's Tale, in fact it will make it even worse for me. Especially when it doesn't make sense, like the item descriptions from the last update.
No, restricting movement to 90 degree turns and drawing a grid across the minimap won't turn it into a grid-based dungeon-crawler.

Taking elements, from different trendy games and stitching them together is hardly what I would call a vision. InXile has no vision. Their only decent game so far was Wasteland 2, but it was much more influenced by the classic Fallouts, rather than Wasteland. I see the same happening with BT4, just worse.

I hope I'll be proven wrong soon. Can't wait to start beta-testing the game and provide real feedback.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 9th, 2018, 2:24 pm

ZiN wrote:
June 9th, 2018, 11:57 am
No, restricting movement to 90 degree turns and drawing a grid across the minimap won't turn it into a grid-based dungeon-crawler.
This is true; and has been a concern from day one.

Ricks
Initiate

Post by Ricks » June 16th, 2018, 2:48 am

ZiN wrote:
June 9th, 2018, 11:57 am
Looking at the demo, parts of the game remind me of the following:

Dialogue - Fallout 3 / Skyrim
Combat - Amberstar / Lords of Xulima (Haven't played Frayed Knights, but I see from Gizmo's post.)
Puzzles - The Room
Exploration - Any game with "awesome graphixx"
Interface - shovelware MMOs
? ? ? - The Bard's Tale

Taking elements, from different trendy games and stitching them together is hardly what I would call a vision.
Exactly. It looks and feels like a patchwork.