GAME STOPPING BUG DEVS PLEASE READ!!!!

For all tech support questions for The Mage's Tale.
VRCook
Initiate

GAME STOPPING BUG DEVS PLEASE READ!!!!

Post by VRCook » June 24th, 2017, 3:45 pm

am stuck in a door during chapter 2 on the road to Numeria and cant move or do anything or teleport or do anything. massive bug! happens in the second chapter! All I can do is teleport back to the hub world. I cant open the doors i am stick in I have reset my oculus sensors but did not fix the issue. Will send screen shot later

hookman
Initiate

Re: GAME STOPPING BUG DEVS PLEASE READ!!!!

Post by hookman » June 25th, 2017, 9:15 am

I have had the same problem.

It's happened to me twice (second time after restarting from scratch).

I've emailed support with my save files and screenshots. Hopefully they can fix this soon as it's not really playable right now...

Alternatively give us a rollback for each save slot - auto saving over the top of hours of progress into a bugged location you can't escape from is really dumb!

VRCook
Initiate

Post by VRCook » June 26th, 2017, 3:05 am

Yeah I was also thinking of starting from scratch, but after what you read wrote above, might not actually help!

I will email them as well, hopefully its something that they can fix quickly.

hookman
Initiate

Post by hookman » June 28th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Any update on this from the devs?

I understand it might be hard to track the problem down...

How about giving us a workaround in the short term? For example a keyboard shortcut to restart at the last checkpoint (if indeed that would be outside a wall).

Or an option to create new save files rather than overwrite the only one, so we at least have a back up to revert to when it breaks?

hookman
Initiate

Post by hookman » June 28th, 2017, 1:24 pm

After thinking about it, I realised I could enable windows "previous versions" feature on the save folder in C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\MagesTale\Saved\SaveGames

It seems to be working and will give me the piece of mind that I'm not going to lose my progress for a 3rd time!

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/552 ... -10-a.html

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » June 28th, 2017, 4:33 pm

All of this is being reported to the dev team, so it is being looked into. Much like my post yesterday regarding potion slots, as soon as we have a current workaround to offer on stuff, I'll put that out there. For now, though, all I can do is note that these things are being looked at.

VRCook
Initiate

Post by VRCook » June 29th, 2017, 1:51 am

Thanks Phimseto for that. Hope we get a work around soon, In the meantime I will try what Hookman suggested. Thanks all! 8-)

hookman
Initiate

Post by hookman » June 29th, 2017, 1:36 pm

I've had to give up as it's happening to me with such frequency now it's unplayable.

If I can help playtest anything or provide anymore saves then let me know. I'm only frustrated as you guys have crafted what I'd say is the most immersive VR game yet!

Xboxmember1978
Initiate

Post by Xboxmember1978 » June 29th, 2017, 5:37 pm

I bought this game last week and played it on and off for several days. I have however come across game breaking bugs that have left me with checkpoints that I cannot do anything with. I cannot move or teleport. They all have one thing in common, it seems like I'm always stuck where there's an opening latch door. I'm on the level of road to Roscoe now and it has happened to me again. I'm not going to restart the game for a third time. I'm done playing this game until this is fixed. I'm extremely aggravated

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » June 29th, 2017, 6:23 pm

One possible workaround while we look into it: try walking around in physical space and using the movement system to get themselves back to a valid location.

Xboxmember1978
Initiate

Post by Xboxmember1978 » June 29th, 2017, 6:47 pm

I tried that. Doesn't do any good. No matter how far I walk physically I have no in game movement system or any hand control. I can pause the game but my hands won't grab anything

hookman
Initiate

Post by hookman » June 30th, 2017, 10:38 am

phimseto wrote:
June 29th, 2017, 6:23 pm
One possible workaround while we look into it: try walking around in physical space and using the movement system to get themselves back to a valid location.
This doesn't work.
Even if you're in a valid location in a room or corridor you can't teleport anywhere else.

hookman
Initiate

Post by hookman » June 30th, 2017, 10:40 am

Xboxmember1978 wrote:
June 29th, 2017, 5:37 pm
They all have one thing in common, it seems like I'm always stuck where there's an opening latch door. I'm on the level of road to Roscoe now and it has happened to me again.
I think you're right, all 3 times it's happened to me I've been in sight of a latch door too.

I did email my save games through to support, but don't know whether that has been any help to them.

MrWonderstuff
Initiate

Post by MrWonderstuff » June 30th, 2017, 11:56 am

I was stuck in a wall and moved round my room until I found a chink then went mad with the thumbsticks. Eventually I got free...that was a wall and not a door though.

Xboxmember1978
Initiate

Post by Xboxmember1978 » June 30th, 2017, 3:10 pm

What I find most interesting is how long this has been out now and how many reviews there are nobody is reporting this issue except for like 3 people

Maybe an official statement regarding the issue and it being fixed in a patch would be nice, I paid $39.99 and I can't play it in it's current status

VRCook
Initiate

Post by VRCook » June 30th, 2017, 3:27 pm

guys you REALLY need to fix this!!!

Xboxmember1978
Initiate

Post by Xboxmember1978 » June 30th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Well, I see that someone posted a new review on the Oculus store for the game mentioned the spawn/checkpoint issue exactly like us

I have sent Oculus a support question asking them if they will give me a refund because as of right now I cannot play the game and there's no telling if this will ever be fixed

Update:

I got a reply back from Oculus support team asking for account credentials. I will update once I see if they will honor a refund. I really love the game but I don't want to wait too long and then they might say no because I waited too long, who knows, it might not ever get fixed or not fixed for months. I'd re-buy the game once confirmed working.

hookman
Initiate

Post by hookman » July 2nd, 2017, 1:03 am

Please do let us know about getting your refund.

I may have to do the same, as you say it's a great game but unplayable at the moment with no indication if/when it will be fixed :-(

Xboxmember1978
Initiate

Post by Xboxmember1978 » July 2nd, 2017, 4:40 am

I haven't heard back yet but it's also Sunday, I'm not sure if they are closed today. Might not hear back until Monday

Update:

They gave me a one time refund as they said they don't honor refunds on software. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on this thread to see when they do something about this issue since I will have no idea because it's removed from my library and I won't see if there's been an update

I do however see that another new review on the Oculus store for this game does mention this issue. They really need to acknowledge the fact that this is real and that they will fix it if not there's going to be a lot of upset people

hookman
Initiate

Post by hookman » July 3rd, 2017, 10:15 am

Thanks for the update.

I'm in the UK where Oculus have introduced a policy matching Steam. However it's only valid up to 2 hours playtime... technically I've played 3 hours as I've played the first hour of content 3 times now!

I think I'll hang onto it for now and hope it gets fixed. Hopefully if I decide to refund in future this thread will serve to show that I've done everything I can to fix the issue and get a workable game out of it.