Mages Tale showing sensors in game

For all tech support questions for The Mage's Tale.
keithian
Initiate

Mages Tale showing sensors in game

Post by keithian » June 22nd, 2017, 12:47 am

I am experiencing a symptom I have never experienced in any game on the Oculus Rift. I am sporadically seeing my sensors in the game..all 3 of them...in the exact position they would be in real life while I am playing the game. Its hard to tell when they show up why they are showing up, but it is happening quite often. I got out of the game twice and the same thing happened. Then I reset my sensors via the Oculus settings to see if that would make a difference and the same thing is happening. I tried two other experiences such as the Blu and Cloudlands Mini Golf VR and it is not happening in those. That is a game breaking bug for me as its quite distracting so hopefully I can get some advice here. I'll post on reddit as well to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Master_Pok
Initiate

Re: Mages Tale showing sensors in game

Post by Master_Pok » June 22nd, 2017, 6:37 am

This is happening to me as well, at least until I quit playing because of the reticle, and is also quite immersion breaking. I did not know if it was specific to mage's tale or happened in other games.

What it seems is that when facing away from a sensor, so that sensor is no longer tracking the headset, that sensor shows up in game, so that when you turn back it is there for a second or so until it fades away.

I actually posted this problem to the oculus forums last night, under the support section.

Master_Pok
Initiate

Post by Master_Pok » June 22nd, 2017, 8:58 am

from the oculus forums

"It seems quite obvious that this is intentional so that you might have some positional awarness. I.E. You know what direction you are facing. Ask the dev if this is the case and if so, is there an option to turn it off."

Is this so? Is it intentional.

keithian
Initiate

Post by keithian » June 22nd, 2017, 1:47 pm

Master_Pok wrote:
June 22nd, 2017, 8:58 am
from the oculus forums

"It seems quite obvious that this is intentional so that you might have some positional awarness. I.E. You know what direction you are facing. Ask the dev if this is the case and if so, is there an option to turn it off."

Is this so? Is it intentional.
Some folks at the reddit thread I created are saying it was intentional (though most agree it should be an option to turn off), but still no official word from the Developer. If it is intentional for two sensor set ups, then to me it is a bug because 3 sensor set ups are now officially supported by Oculus and a significant portion of the community has 3 or more sensors. There should be an option to turn it off. We shouldn't have to unplug a sensor to play a game which would make it unique to every other game currently available. I'm debating if I'll ask for a refund because this to me is more annoying than the loading screen.

Melfalik
Initiate

Post by Melfalik » June 24th, 2017, 5:21 am

Happening to me as well. Please fix.

Jazzcousins
Initiate

Post by Jazzcousins » June 24th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Im in support of an on off option, even with intrusions like this and the cross hair thing its still one of the coolest looking vr games to date in my view, but both these intrusions do really bump the immersion after all other UI elements are so nicely built into the world!

keithian
Initiate

Post by keithian » June 25th, 2017, 11:30 am

Well unfortunately the Devs don't seem to be commenting at all which isn't helpful despite all of the posts on Reddit, on the Oculus Forum, and the few comments here....so that's disappointing. I did open a ticket and all I did was get a glorified admin who wrote he forwarded my response to the Devs. That's about as helpful as complaining to the Post Office about their service and them telling you they will forward their feedback. Anyway, great game, but the lack of any response on something so immersion breaking to me is ridiculous.

Master_Pok
Initiate

Post by Master_Pok » June 26th, 2017, 11:40 am

The sensor apparitions still appearing constantly continues to suck and greatly reduces my ability to enjoy the game.

Still no dev response as to whether this is intentional or a bug. Either way it is not good.

Some have surmised it is for positional awareness, but why do I need positional awareness? Oculus has the boundaries. What I don't need is something that continuously breaks immersion that serves no useful purpose whatsoever.

Great game though. Outstanding really. Would just like to be able to enjoy it even more.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » June 26th, 2017, 2:28 pm

The devs are looking into the matter with Oculus, and that includes the issues relating to both two and three sensor setups. Obviously, we want the game to be as immersive as possible, so where there's a chance to provide that (or fix bugs if they are identified as such), we will endeavor to do so. Given how important the sensors are, though, any adjustment has to be carefully considered.

Master_Pok
Initiate

Post by Master_Pok » June 28th, 2017, 11:21 am

"Given how important the sensors are, though, any adjustment has to be carefully considered."

Ok, but they don't show up like this in other games, so why are they showing up?

Just curious, was it done intentionally for some reason, or is it an unexpected thing?

TenaciousJ
Initiate

Post by TenaciousJ » July 6th, 2017, 10:52 pm

I've got an interesting twist on this bug/"feature" - I have a sensor that shows up where my head is.. so if I turn around it's right in my face! Not immersion breaking or anything... it's totally common to have a sensor pop up out of nowhere right at eye level. lol. I've reset my sensors several times and nothing helps. I think it's a driver issue or something but I can't seem to fix it.

keithian
Initiate

Post by keithian » July 7th, 2017, 8:25 am

TenaciousJ wrote:
July 6th, 2017, 10:52 pm
I've got an interesting twist on this bug/"feature" - I have a sensor that shows up where my head is.. so if I turn around it's right in my face! Not immersion breaking or anything... it's totally common to have a sensor pop up out of nowhere right at eye level. lol. I've reset my sensors several times and nothing helps. I think it's a driver issue or something but I can't seem to fix it.
This is the ONLY experience where they show up at all, so I can imagine how frustrating having it right in your face must be. It's amazing to me how they won't respond in a timely manner with specifics or where they are with this. They can't even tell us if it was intentional or a bug when just about everyone that has it they consider it a distracting bug. Instead we get generic non specific posts such as "....where there's a chance to provide that (or fix bugs if they are identified as such), we will endeavor to do so. Given how important the sensors are, though, any adjustment has to be carefully considered." Not a good way to give confidence to the community. Sad.

hookman
Initiate

Post by hookman » July 8th, 2017, 4:40 am

Have to agree, customer support from this Dev is pretty shocking.

The next thread down has multiple people with a game breaking bug that we have no ETA on a fix at all or even whether they can replicate the bug.

Master_Pok
Initiate

Post by Master_Pok » July 14th, 2017, 10:12 am

As of today, 7/14/2017, the phantom sensors are gone, along with the reticle. Thanks for listening. I am seeing and enjoying so much more of the detail now that I am not being continuously distracted.