Glitch in game getting into gated room on the road to Roscoe's

For all tech support questions for The Mage's Tale.
DWinston33
Initiate

Glitch in game getting into gated room on the road to Roscoe's

Post by DWinston33 » September 30th, 2017, 4:11 pm

I am missing the bounce spell which I believe is found in the gated room on the road to Roscoe's. This is just after you get the wind spell. I checked the walk-through online and you go back and there is a pretty deep recess in the wall as if the road is leading somewhere but the wall is blocking it that is supposed to appear between the two doors one of which leads to the cages on the floor room. The room where you gain the wind spell. I have tried going back to that exact spot where the recess in the wall should be that you're supposed to blow down with the wind spell to get into the gated room with the talking wall. There is no such recess in my game. It literally does not match the walk-through. What is going on? Is there something that you have to do to make that hallway that ends with the wall you blow down appear? I've tried everything and I can't get to the recessed hallway. I just have a plain wall there and I've tried blowing that one down and it doesn't budge. It's just a plain wall. How is that possible? Please advise.

LegendaryCarmine
Developer

Re: Glitch in game getting into gated room on the road to Roscoe's

Post by LegendaryCarmine » October 2nd, 2017, 8:33 am

Hey DWinston33!

There are two ways into that room. Using the bounce mod to throw a fireball under the grating is one way.

The other way is a bit more obscure. In the level there are two torches that you can pick up. In one hallway there are torch holders on a wall. If you find both torches and place them into the appropriate torch holders then light the torches, a hidden wall will open revealing a chest. In that small alcove to the right there is a stone that you can press with your hand. This will open another hidden wall behind you. The back wall in that new small alcove can be broken with wind blast to enter the room.

Also, if you can I would recommend going back to get the bounce mod. It's a very helpful effect!

ploog
Initiate

Answering with as few spoilers as possible

Post by ploog » October 2nd, 2017, 9:19 am

To answer you with as few spoilers as possible, you need to take advantage of the tools provided in the game.

General game tips:
  • If you come across a pick-axe in the game, there is very likely a faux wall that can be breached nearby -- either with the pick-axe or the wind spell.
  • Similarly, if you come across a "seeing orb" in the game, there is likely some invisible-to-the-naked-eye information that can be revealed by looking at the environment through the orb -- as Crux teaches early on. (What Crux doesn't teach is that you can effectively place your head *inside* the seeing orb, making it much easier to look around.)
  • Oh, and it's a good idea to blast open any barrels you come across to inspect their contents.
Personally, I wish the game had included a backpack mechanism that would have required the player to retain these objects from the time they were found, or to retrieve replacements from the workshop when lost, thereby skipping the spoiling puzzle solution hints whenever a pick-axe or seeing orb were found in-game.

Anyway, more specific to your question, then...
. SPOILER ALERT (for all remaining text)

Specific tip: Go back to the hallway where you think there should be a recess in the wall, and see if any of the above general tips apply.

Alternative: "Bounce" isn't the only way to skin this cat, if you were ever a softball pitcher. (But the thing is, you might be leaving a few other cats fully furred.)

p.s. All that said, it's not impossible that you're suffering from the same glitch that I experienced on/after my first run through the game. On my first pass through the game, I noticed the gated room but didn't immediately see a way in and figured the secret might be revealed in the next room; however, for some reason I totally forgot about the gated room and eventually made it all the way through the game. It was only on a second pass through the game to find everything that I'd missed that I was able to get into the gated room, using the softball pitcher approach. In my case, the 2 items necessary to open the faux walls in the hallway weren't available to me during my second pass, only one of the 2 required items. I posted here re: the issue, but eventually gave up and started a new game... which I was able to complete.

My Road to Roscoe's glitch post is here (right below your post!): viewtopic.php?f=54&t=18473
Last edited by ploog on October 2nd, 2017, 10:19 am, edited 6 times in total.

ploog
Initiate

Re: Bounce reagent

Post by ploog » October 2nd, 2017, 10:03 am

DWinston33 wrote:
September 30th, 2017, 4:11 pm
I am missing the bounce spell ...
If you're looking for where to find the 'Bounce' reagent, you'll need to revisit...
. SPOILER ALERT

... 'The Sewers' map.

It is in a combo box hidden behind a secret wall near the end of the game branch (a cul de sac) that starts with the large, open room with 4 tall pillars, each topped with an energy orb. I'll leave it at that, for now; post if you want further tips.