Possible technical issue with Road to Roscoe's secret door prerequisites

For all tech support questions for The Mage's Tale.
ploog
Initiate

Possible technical issue with Road to Roscoe's secret door prerequisites

Post by ploog » August 12th, 2017, 11:58 pm

I've finished the game but was returning to the various maps to find what I'd missed on my first pass through, and have hit a wall with a particular secret door within the "Road to Roscoe's" map.

The issue I'm having is that I need a particular item to unlock the secret door, but it isn't available anywhere within the level -- as things currently stand. I'm fairly certain that there were quite a few, earlier, when I busted-up a bunch of barrels but didn't yet realize the contents would be needed, but they've all since disappeared.

I'd think the game would always ensure availability of items required for solving puzzles, opening secret doors, etc. Since that's not the case, here, Is there any way to get the level/map to reset the barrels?

Any help would be appreciated. The little caged critter hiding behind the wall is 1 of 6 remaining to be found/acquired.

More specific details follow...
SPOILERS BEGIN HERE

Specifically, I'm trying to access the secret door hinted at by the invisible troll/giant footprints in the hallway between the "light my fires ever higher" puzzle and the room with the 5 or 6 big cages/cells -- again, within the "Road to Roscoe's" level.

See: Screenshot of hallway in question

Once I realized there was a secret door there, it was evident that I needed to place two torches (likely both lit) into the empty holders on either side of the door, but there's only 1 torch available *anywhere* within the level, at present, so I'm unable to open the secret door. (I believe I've tried permutations of placing the single torch into each holder, and so am stumped/blocked.)

p.s. The forum's 'SPOILER' tags don't appear to be working. edit: On further review, the 'IMG' tag works fine; however, its use should be limited without functioning SPOILER tags.

Spellunker
Initiate

Re: Possible technical issue with Road to Roscoe's secret door prerequisites

Post by Spellunker » August 14th, 2017, 10:38 pm

I believe one is on the floor, and the other on the wall - only a room or two apart?

When in doubt, consult the Let's Play :-)
https://youtu.be/PPyFzbA6G1Q?list=PLv40 ... C7kE&t=925

ploog
Initiate

Post by ploog » August 15th, 2017, 7:06 am

ALL SPOILERS
Spellunker wrote:
August 14th, 2017, 10:38 pm
I believe one is on the floor, and the other on the wall - only a room or two apart?
Thanks, yes, I'd reviewed that specific video to confirm my suspicions on how to solve the puzzle; however, with the current state of my game, there's only one torch to be found anywhere within the map. Each time I reenter the level, one torch can be found on the wall... but no other torches anywhere else... and I'm talking from the beginning of the map to its end. And it's not hidden in a barrel because there aren't any barrels, either. (edit: Frustratingly, the "seeing orb" *is* always sitting on the ground, having previously been released from its barrel, right near where the torch should be lying on the ground.)

p.s. I just played a "fresh" map, yesterday, and, yeah, I found a torch on the floor just beyond the secret door panels; and the wall-ensconced torch was just a short way back.