the reticle - always on?

For all tech support questions for The Mage's Tale.
Master_Pok
Initiate

the reticle - always on?

Post by Master_Pok » June 21st, 2017, 10:27 am

Is the reticle supposed to always be on or is this a bug. I sure hope its a bug because the reticle being on continuously ruins the game completely for me.

phimseto
Developer

Re: the reticle - always on?

Post by phimseto » June 21st, 2017, 3:54 pm

Only projectiles, Ice Lance and Fireball, have the reticle, and those projectiles act differently depending on your mystic ingredients with locking onto your target. We are investigating the idea of having a toggle to turn off/on the reticle, however, we definitely want players to learn and fully understand how each mystic ingredient behaves with their spells.

(Note: I amended this answer on 06/24/17 just to explain a bit why the reticle is important.)

Master_Pok
Initiate

Post by Master_Pok » June 21st, 2017, 5:19 pm

I sure hope you do. I am not a complaining type of person, and generally just make the best of things, but the degree to which the persistence of the reticle diminishes my ability to enjoy the game is quite high. But at least I have learned that once I get the lightning spell I can choose that one so its not on all the time at least.

Master_Pok
Initiate

Post by Master_Pok » June 21st, 2017, 6:05 pm

Clearly not everyone feels as I do about the reticle. This caused me to ponder what it was that I so disliked about it.

Here's what the reticle is to me. It is an object that I cannot get out of my site that is saying to me/screaming at me at all times "you are playing a video game." That is why it is so irritating to me.

The experience that I am looking for in playing VR is the opposite of that. And the game that you peeps have created was delivering precisely that experience up and until the reticle appeared and would not go away, at which point for me the character of the game changed completely, since at no point after that could I ever for more than a second here or there go without seeing the reticle and in that way having the fact that I was just playing a video game shoved in my face.

The maddening thing is that it was there, you peeps created a thing of beauty, a space in which one could truly get lost for a bit. But for me that possibility went away once I could not get rid of the reticle. I tried to play a bit more, but the unavoidable presence of the reticle detracted so much from my previous level of enjoyment of the same virtual space that I had no desire to continue.

I wish it were otherwise. I wish I liked mushrooms, cause then ordering a pizza would not be such a hassle, cause everyone seems to want mushrooms on their pizza. But I can’t make myself like mushrooms and I can’t seem to make myself ignore the reticle.
Last edited by Master_Pok on June 22nd, 2017, 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jazzcousins
Initiate

Post by Jazzcousins » June 21st, 2017, 8:18 pm

Just a thought, fire and ice spells both are aimed with the trigger down, and fired when it's released, simple option could be to just enable it while the trigger is down then fade it out.

Also with eye tracking a thing now, people with eye tracking would not need it at all, since projectiles could home in on what your EYES look at, would be rather epic, even if if it is still a thing if the future for most of us.

And, haha, it's ok, I'm sure everyone got what you were saying from the heading XD. Personally i don't always notice it, you sort of sea past it once you are emersed, and having the ability to control a spell to that extent is cool. However it is not the most emersive suilution for non eye tracked users. I recon it would be cooler if the rectocele was traced forward from the non dominant hand, that way it could appear more as part of the spell, would also mean precise aim would require the use of both hands! Still, maybe I should be keeping those sorts of ideas for my own vr games.

andysonofbob
Initiate

Post by andysonofbob » June 22nd, 2017, 5:50 am

Thanks for such a polished VR game! inXile-entertainment are now well and truly on my radar...

+1 for the toggle option

Alternatively, why can't you tell the reticle to vanish if it isn't targeting anything, with the reticle only appearing when it locks on?

I am another person who finds the reticle distracting - soz

Master_Pok
Initiate

Post by Master_Pok » June 22nd, 2017, 6:01 am

"Just a thought, fire and ice spells both are aimed with the trigger down, and fired when it's released, simple option could be to just enable it while the trigger is down then fade it out."

That's why I thought it was a bug, because I figured that it was just supposed to come up when the spell was enabled by pulling the trigger.

I'm not a gave dev, and I know there are always issues, but why not just have the reticle come up when the trigger is pulled, since that is when it is needed?

or why not just make it so there does not always have to be a spell active in one of the hands, so at least the player has the option of getting rid of the reticle?

Master_Pok
Initiate

Post by Master_Pok » June 26th, 2017, 11:36 am

Ok, so the reticle is not that bad, only because it is not long after you get another spell that does not use the reticle, so one can switch to that. Had I known this I would have never posted. My fear was that I would have to go through the entire dungeon looking at the damn thing. I clearly see why the reticle is needed when using spells, and am just glad they made a spell that does not need it. Still seems though like could just have it come on when the trigger is pulled vs. up all the time.

That being said, the sensor apparitions still appearing constantly continues to suck.

andysonofbob
Initiate

Post by andysonofbob » June 27th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Hi

PLEASE PROVIDE OPTION TO DISABLE THE RETICLE

or show how I can mod it out!

I find the reticle being always on when requiring the fireball or ice spell makes me feel woozy; like when I am about to get a migraine. You can't shift it from your vision and it swims where your face is. I know I can switch spells but it is really distracting when it is on, even for the duration of the battle.

Why is it even there? Can't you just have the lock-on animation when you are locking on to the target, with the locked-on icon when you have locked on to the target? There is zero point of the reticle apart from to cause those suseptable to migraines, to get a migraine. Ugh! :(

I play Elite Dangerous for hours at a time. I fly Newtonian mode, smashing through canyons and spinning about, stunt driving my SRV. I play Dirt Rally until I am bored and love extreme VR experiences. But I can't play MT for more than a few minutes before feeling sick. All because of the superfluous reticle :(

PLEASE HELP because I really want to play this game!

Master_Pok
Initiate

Post by Master_Pok » June 28th, 2017, 11:22 am

I feel your pain.

Master_Pok
Initiate

Post by Master_Pok » July 14th, 2017, 10:11 am

As of today, 7/14/2017, the ever-present reticle is gone completely. The game is so much more enjoyable now. Oh yeah, and sensors are now gone as well. Thank you for listening. I am seeing and enjoying so much more of the detail now that I am not being continuously distracted.

andysonofbob
Initiate

Post by andysonofbob » July 16th, 2017, 10:02 am

Thanks!!!!!

I can now play this game!

The game is awesome!!!!!