General Directions

For all The Mage's Tale discussion other than tech support.
hanishn
Initiate

General Directions

Post by hanishn » July 27th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Hi Friends,

Love the game, thanks for making it.

Where might I find an instruction guide or FAQ, etc.

For instance, I've forgotten what I need to do to level up. At the moment, I'm hanging out in Roscoe's with 100+/13 experience points for my next level.

Thanks!

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: General Directions

Post by thebruce » July 27th, 2017, 5:50 pm

EDITED: Irrelevant and incorrect game tips and reference removed. oops :oops: :lol:
Last edited by thebruce on July 28th, 2017, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

hanishn
Initiate

Post by hanishn » July 28th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Figured it out. You look at the 'gem' on the back of your right hand and grip it with your left hand. An easy to find faq or reminder for this stuff (e.g. hold hands above head to return to home base) would be very helpful.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » July 28th, 2017, 7:24 pm

d'oh! I'm sorry. I forgot to check - this is the Mage's Tale forum, not the Bard's Tale :P
haha. Here I'm thinking "gem, on the back of your hand? whut?" lol
My bad!
@thebruce0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » July 28th, 2017, 7:32 pm

thebruce wrote:
July 28th, 2017, 7:24 pm
d'oh! I'm sorry. I forgot to check - this is the Mage's Tale forum, not the Bard's Tale :P
haha.
I was surprised that this section of the forum didn't open with a different theme to it; different from the Bard's Tale.

*I use a "Stylish" fix for this myself. That way I don't mistake the Mage's Tale forums for the Bard's Tale ones.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » July 29th, 2017, 8:46 pm

I use a bookmark to view new posts in both forums. I need to build muscle memory to check the forum name since all the threads are mingled together in the list.
@thebruce0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » July 29th, 2017, 9:51 pm

thebruce wrote:
July 29th, 2017, 8:46 pm
I use a bookmark to view new posts in both forums. I need to build muscle memory to check the forum name since all the threads are mingled together in the list.
Same here... (and in other forums). That's why it's so easy to mistake what thread the post is in... and because of Identical themes in different sections.

ploog
Initiate

Activating the "Level Up" process

Post by ploog » August 13th, 2017, 12:07 am

hanishn wrote:
July 27th, 2017, 5:25 pm
For instance, I've forgotten what I need to do to level up. At the moment, I'm hanging out in Roscoe's with 100+/13 experience points for my next level.
hanishn wrote:
July 28th, 2017, 5:25 pm
Figured it out. You look at the 'gem' on the back of your right hand and grip it with your left hand.
All I've done is bring the tip of the index finger from my other hand into contact with the pulsing "Level Up" star above the level status gem, and maintain contact for a few seconds, and the level-up is triggered.
Last edited by ploog on August 13th, 2017, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ploog
Initiate

Stargate glyph background highlighted gold

Post by ploog » August 13th, 2017, 12:45 pm

Here's a tip (or at least what I'm assuming to be one, and short of a spoiler)...

The game (Mage's Tale) appears to highlight a stargate location's glyph background gold when you've found all the items within the level (i.e. once the map's thoroughly completed). Well, the game definitely does the gold highlighting; I'm guessing at the trigger, based on my personal experience.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bw4nj007bk39s ... g.JPG?dl=0

edit: p.s. Oh, also, it should be noted that each stargate glyph lights-up only when the level has been unlocked by completing the immediately prior level.
Last edited by ploog on August 14th, 2017, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ploog
Initiate

Header image for Mage's Tale sub-forum

Post by ploog » August 14th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Gizmo wrote:
July 28th, 2017, 7:32 pm
*I use a "Stylish" fix for this myself. That way I don't mistake the Mage's Tale forums for the Bard's Tale ones.
Nice, but I wouldn't think it necessary given the other sub-forums (BT,TTON,W3, General) have custom header graphics. Maybe just post your header graphic to give the site admin a head start...?

Cava
Initiate

Re: Stargate glyph background highlighted gold

Post by Cava » August 16th, 2017, 2:53 pm

ploog wrote:
August 13th, 2017, 12:45 pm
... Image
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bw4nj007bk39s ... g.JPG?dl=0 ...

Wow! You have found almost all of the secrets!
Would you consider writing some kind of guide/FAQ for us less-gifted players? :D

I am managing to complete the main storyline (so far), but ever since stumbling upon the trow in a bottle I have been quite desperate for more secrets.
I only have 1 golden glyph so far, so I know I have missed stuff, but I am, apparently, terrible at finding the secrets in this game :(

ploog
Initiate

Post by ploog » August 19th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Cava wrote:
August 16th, 2017, 2:53 pm
Would you consider writing some kind of guide/FAQ for us less-gifted players? :D
Just 4 caged critters to find, I believe, in addition to gaining access to one locked behind an impenetrable door, and possibly a spell flask or two. I'm trying to resist watching videos to find my missing secrets, but may have to surrender at some point; I've passed the point of diminishing returns, especially in light of limited VR time.

I'd be happy to contribute to a guide/debrief on the game, but I'd be more comfortable doing so if the forum's spoiler tags worked. Another obstacle to documenting my findings is that I don't have a photographic memory and so would need to go through the game again to do any research -- and I only have access to the VR system occasionally, since it's my nephew's setup (to which I contributed the Oculus Rift) and so VR time for me is a scarce commodity.

Cava wrote:
but I am, apparently, terrible at finding the secrets in this game
My recommendations would be to always use the "seeing orbs" when they're available to look for hints at hidden rooms, and use your wind spell to blast walls that look less substantial -- especially when a pick-axe is found nearby.

p.s. I only figured-out how to properly handle the Trow in a Bottle on my follow-up pass.

p.p.s. Spoiler test...
test spoiler text
Conclusion: Yep... spoiler tag still doesn't work.

ploog
Initiate

Post by ploog » August 28th, 2017, 11:26 pm

Cava wrote:
Wow! You have found almost all of the secrets!

I am managing to complete the main storyline (so far), but ever since stumbling upon the trow in a bottle I have been quite desperate for more secrets.
I only have 1 golden glyph so far, so I know I have missed stuff, but I am, apparently, terrible at finding the secrets in this game :(
This YouTuber (JJGuardian) is publishing a detailed video for each map level, including spoilers/reveals for nearly every secret in the game.

See: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... zneW0igYf3

It'd be nice to have a guide that provides more generic hints, rather than explicitly showing where a secret is and exactly how to solve it. (As an example, I was viewing their Road to Roscoe's video just to confirm what I'd seen in another video for solving a particular secret room, but the watching the video revealed a secret I wasn't even aware of. I was kinda bummed.)