Some Questions

For all The Mage's Tale discussion other than tech support.
Troll
Initiate

Some Questions

Post by Troll » June 23rd, 2017, 4:21 pm

First of I really like your game!! But have some questions.
I'm finding a lot of small cages with creatures in them, and my pet toad is taking them to the "workshop"?
But what are the purpose of them, I don't see them anywhere, and don't know how I should make use of them?

And will we be able to add more effects to our spells? I can only mix a maximum of two enhancements to each spell.
And also, finding it a bit weird that we can only have one spell in one hand aktive at the time.
Don't know if this will be the case throughout the game, or if this will change once I get more poweful?
Would have been great if we could wield a spell in eatch hand!
I'm actually at a point (about 4 hours in) where I keep dying, and would need more powerfull spells. Getting attacked by several sceletons with sword and shield, and sceletons with bows, on top of that 2 flying goblins with seeking fire spells, and also a running screaming blow up goblin, don't know if more will spawn after I kill those of..

Also have some questions about hidden secrets.
Are some things we discover meaningless?
For example, I found a golden grail / cup in a chest, but my toad didn't show up to collect it. I back tracked a bit cause I thought I might had an idea of where I could use it, but nope, it didn't do anything.
I also found a stone tablet that when I put a lightning spell on it, the clouds and lightning on the tablet got painted. Tried some other stuff in that room, but it didn't seem to do or open anything hidden?.

Troll
Initiate

Re: Some Questions

Post by Troll » June 24th, 2017, 6:04 am

Okay so I found where all the caged in creatures go, I had missed that there are two seoaret rooms in the workshop, first thought the portals went to the same room.. . :)

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » June 24th, 2017, 10:25 am

Troll wrote:
June 24th, 2017, 6:04 am
Okay so I found where all the caged in creatures go, I had missed that there are two seoaret rooms in the workshop, first thought the portals went to the same room.. . :)
Hey, glad you found that! Hopefully, as we get some more Mage's Tale players on the forum, you'll be able to get other questions answered!

2happy
Initiate

Post by 2happy » June 24th, 2017, 12:53 pm

I watched a lifestreame, where the guy did not realized, that he could be save behind his magic shield (lh "x") while attacking with his right hand. Just want to mention it. If you do so, fighting is no big deal in the most cases.
I kill most foes with lighning (damage and arc) and storm.
Ice and fire are much weeker imo and I use them mostly for riddles.
Hope, this helps u to survive a little longer ;)

Troll
Initiate

Post by Troll » June 24th, 2017, 12:58 pm

phimseto wrote:
June 24th, 2017, 10:25 am
Troll wrote:
June 24th, 2017, 6:04 am
Hey, glad you found that! Hopefully, as we get some more Mage's Tale players on the forum, you'll be able to get other questions answered!
I actually restarted a new game this morning and focused more on health. (which I completely ignored last time around..) I was also able to solve several more pussles that I missed the first time, including the stone tablet (but that one was by pure luck on my new play through, a tricky one! :twisted:)
And by this I got myselfe some really good ingredients to some killer spells! :lol: And was able to beat the foes where I was stuck before! :D

Even though I had to restart I like this game more and more! And love the small touch with the visual upgrading of the gloves, totally missed that part the first time, was so much to take in from the environment, and not to miss any clues, that I didn't have time to look at my hands.. :oops: ;)

The darn grail/cup still boggles me though!.. :x :)

2happy
Initiate

Post by 2happy » June 26th, 2017, 9:18 am

How can I kill the dude with the big hammer? He is in the serious sam area. (I post it here, because the "new topic" button does not exist...)

Troll
Initiate

Post by Troll » June 26th, 2017, 12:14 pm

2happy wrote:
June 26th, 2017, 9:18 am
How can I kill the dude with the big hammer? He is in the serious sam area. (I post it here, because the "new topic" button does not exist...)
Do you mean the big troll?
Keep your distance, avoid the stones he is throwing, and fire the spells at him till he dies.

2happy
Initiate

Post by 2happy » June 26th, 2017, 3:02 pm

thx, but no, the troll is in the starter area, I mean a very big knight (?) with a very big hammer. Must be one or two level before the end (if I interpretate the signs on the portal correctly). It is an area where you several times have to kill wave after wave after wave of enemies- thats why I called it "Serious Sam" area...

Troll
Initiate

Post by Troll » June 27th, 2017, 1:41 pm

2happy wrote:
June 26th, 2017, 3:02 pm
thx, but no, the troll is in the starter area, I mean a very big knight (?) with a very big hammer. Must be one or two level before the end (if I interpretate the signs on the portal correctly). It is an area where you several times have to kill wave after wave after wave of enemies- thats why I called it "Serious Sam" area...
Is it a lot of sceletons, and also coming running, screaming goblins that blow up while you fight him?
If so, you should keep your distance and fire spells at him, and make sure to block his magic attacs with your shield.

2happy
Initiate

Post by 2happy » June 28th, 2017, 1:24 am

Yes, thats it, thx for your effort:-)
I will try it - later, if the defs are patching those massive loding times (and - hopfully - add free lokomotion).
At the current state I can't enjoy the game anymore, especially this bossfight makes me sick. I have no problems playing Serious Sam the oldscool way and performing barrel rolls in Eve Valkyre, but this fast stuttering forward produces headache.

Troll
Initiate

Post by Troll » June 28th, 2017, 3:26 am

2happy wrote:
June 28th, 2017, 1:24 am
Yes, thats it, thx for your effort:-)
I will try it - later, if the defs are patching those massive loding times (and - hopfully - add free lokomotion).
At the current state I can't enjoy the game anymore, especially this bossfight makes me sick. I have no problems playing Serious Sam the oldscool way and performing barrel rolls in Eve Valkyre, but this fast stuttering forward produces headache.
What character level are you at, as a mage?

I rarely feel discomfort in games, and have no real issues with the devs choice of locomotion.
But I would welcome a free locomotion option that would make the movement smoother.

By the way, you wouldn't possibly have figured out the puzzle with the Golden grail/cup you find in a chest around the sewers area?

2happy
Initiate

Post by 2happy » June 28th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Atm i dont remember any golden cup, may be you can describe the room?
So far there have been only too rooms, I could not enter: First might be in the sewers, it was a half open grid with a lock on the right side. Short before I got the storm spell, three grenades have been in the same area to blow 2 walls in a no magic area. I allway hoped to get the key eventually, but I did not.
Second was in a large room full of breakable plates with runes on them, the magic orb showed the way to cross. On the other side was a locked grid, on the wall some runes.
So, if the cup was in one of those rooms, I cant help. May be I did not find it, or I just don't remember yet......

Troll
Initiate

Post by Troll » June 28th, 2017, 11:08 pm

2happy wrote:
June 28th, 2017, 2:02 pm
Atm i dont remember any golden cup, may be you can describe the room?
So far there have been only too rooms, I could not enter: First might be in the sewers, it was a half open grid with a lock on the right side. Short before I got the storm spell, three grenades have been in the same area to blow 2 walls in a no magic area. I allway hoped to get the key eventually, but I did not.
Second was in a large room full of breakable plates with runes on them, the magic orb showed the way to cross. On the other side was a locked grid, on the wall some runes.
So, if the cup was in one of those rooms, I cant help. May be I did not find it, or I just don't remember yet......
I think I know which ones you mean, I got into the room with a half open grid through the wall from the right side of that room somehow, seeing the half open grid to my left.
The chest behind the bars after the runes on the floor. I didn't get that one, had really low health to try walk the runes again, so I thought I return for that one, but haven't got around to do so.

The Golden cup was in a chest to the right in the room where you got glowing runes on all four walls, you then had to turn three big stone wheels in the middle of the room to lower a bridge.
Think this was in the sewers area.

2happy
Initiate

Post by 2happy » June 29th, 2017, 5:46 am

First: Thx to your hint with the sideways entrance, in finaly found it :)
Second: You ment the infinite respawning golden cup? I understood this as a joke, a lecture not to be too greedy.
Hoever, because I was already there, I went back to the little guy in the button and suddenly understood how to free him - a good lough :-D

Troll
Initiate

Post by Troll » June 29th, 2017, 7:45 am

2happy wrote:
June 29th, 2017, 5:46 am
First: Thx to your hint with the sideways entrance, in finaly found it :)
Second: You ment the infinite respawning golden cup? I understood this as a joke, a lecture not to be too greedy.
Hoever, because I was already there, I went back to the little guy in the button and suddenly understood how to free him - a good lough :-D
Yes the respawning golden cup, thats the one.
All other important objects to solve puzzles respawn, so I just thought it might be of interest in a puzzle. I guess we might find out one day. :)
Yhea the "Goatman" was fun. :D

Troll
Initiate

Post by Troll » June 30th, 2017, 2:36 am

Just finished the game, and really looking forward to more games like this in VR from you guys!!
My play time was just under 10 hours. But do to that I started over +4 hours in and knew what to do the first hours, a more accuret first play time for me would be around 12 to 13 hours.

Suggestions to the devs:
I have one thing to complain about.
Do to that the spell crafting is such a big part of this game, I think you have hidden many of the trivial spells to well, like different colors or the less powerfull ones.
Most of the chests I have found have contained collectebles..
Or maybe, do so that the chests have random loot so that every playthrough will be a little different.

theManx
Initiate

Post by theManx » August 21st, 2017, 5:15 pm

Hi,
I've been playing Mages Tale and I must say its been a complete joy to play. Nicely done!
I completed the entire game but still have two cages I haven't found and 4 maps that are incomplete.
One of the maps is the Oubliette and I suspect the area I'm missing is the room with the door that bites.
To clarify, this is is a small anteroom just off of a puzzle room (the 3 horned heads puzzle). When you see the room for the first time, the door is open and I can see a combination treasure chest inside. When I try to enter the anteroom, the door slams shot on me and when it finally frees me, the room is changed and the chest is gone.
I've been at this one for a couple days now. Can anyone offer some suggestions?
I saw what looked like a suggestion that the solution was in the room but there doesn't appear to be anything in the room other than the statues that I can interact with

ploog
Initiate

Post by ploog » September 13th, 2017, 8:24 pm

theManx wrote:
August 21st, 2017, 5:15 pm
I completed the entire game but still have two cages I haven't found and 4 maps that are incomplete.
One of the maps is the Oubliette and I suspect the area I'm missing is the room with the door that bites.
If you're only missing 2 cages, and you presumably have all 12 of the tablets, then you must be missing 0-3 spell ingredients... if you have 4 maps tagged as incomplete. (Hard to pin down exactly how many spell ingredients you're missing, since there are at least 2 levels that can remain incomplete even after collecting all the cages, tablets and spell ingredients from the level.)

My earlier post, here, addresses the "ravenous door" conundrum. A recent post over on the Oculus support forums, here, lists the cages acquired per map level, and in which map each cage can be found/acquired.

Depending on whether you want to keep searching or simply have the solutions revealed, JJGuardian on YouTube has posted a complete series of videos, one for each map, revealing all the secrets to be found. See here for the playlist.