Discord server?

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Post Reply
User avatar
lt-shepherd
Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: October 21st, 2017, 6:43 am

Discord server?

Post by lt-shepherd » January 3rd, 2019, 1:02 pm

why doesn't inixile open up their own discord server? Because it's pretty common among game devs to have their own discord servers, to allow direct communication with their consumers.

if you guys are interested in making one, I would like to offer you a hand in making such a server as I have a lot of experience with discord servers and how to manage them (I used to own a discord server for one of the games made by hypetrain studios, and transferred the ownership to them when they requested it).

I would do it for free and as a token of my respect and appreciation for you guys over there.

User avatar
lt-shepherd
Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: October 21st, 2017, 6:43 am

Re: Discord server?

Post by lt-shepherd » January 3rd, 2019, 1:06 pm

From a buisness standpoint it would be a good idea because you won't need the forums when you can run a server for free, allowing you to directly chat with your consumers and fans.

User avatar
Gillsing
Explorer
Posts: 292
Joined: May 22nd, 2012, 1:35 pm

Re: Discord server?

Post by Gillsing » January 3rd, 2019, 1:18 pm

As one of their consumers, I'd rather have a forum than having to go through chat logs. Direct chats seem more suitable for help desks.

User avatar
lt-shepherd
Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: October 21st, 2017, 6:43 am

Re: Discord server?

Post by lt-shepherd » January 3rd, 2019, 1:27 pm

Gillsing wrote:
January 3rd, 2019, 1:18 pm
As one of their consumers, I'd rather have a forum than having to go through chat logs. Direct chats seem more suitable for help desks.
There are pluses and minuses to everything, to me personally having the option to instantly contact a Dev about a problem or something is much easier and takes less time. Besides, you can use them both, you don't need to choose one or the other. There are many ways to go about these things.

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5859
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Discord server?

Post by Woolfe » January 3rd, 2019, 9:39 pm

So 1, there is always a cost, even if it is just the cost of someone having to check both locations. So resourcing IS an issue with this sort of thing.

and 2.... Have you considered that aside from specific occassions, they may rather keep us at arms length...
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

User avatar
lt-shepherd
Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: October 21st, 2017, 6:43 am

Re: Discord server?

Post by lt-shepherd » January 3rd, 2019, 11:59 pm

It's just a suggestion, you guys take it as a must when it's not. From my standpoint, having a extra level of clarity and directness in a discord server would be much more reassuring for the community. I ran a official server before, and I have seen ideas that came to be ingame due to my actions in the server, to me that means a success in both the server and the devs who listened to the feedback and acted upon it.

User avatar
Gillsing
Explorer
Posts: 292
Joined: May 22nd, 2012, 1:35 pm

Re: Discord server?

Post by Gillsing » January 4th, 2019, 12:22 am

I know it's just a suggestion, but "you won't need the forums" made it seem like a very bad suggestion. And obviously the devs have taken suggestions from these forums as well. Read feedback and reacted to it. Success!

User avatar
lt-shepherd
Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: October 21st, 2017, 6:43 am

Re: Discord server?

Post by lt-shepherd » January 4th, 2019, 3:07 am

Gillsing wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 12:22 am
I know it's just a suggestion, but "you won't need the forums" made it seem like a very bad suggestion. And obviously the devs have taken suggestions from these forums as well. Read feedback and reacted to it. Success!
i agree, its just another form of communication with the devs is what im trying to say, one that is the most popular nowadays.

User avatar
sear
Developer
Posts: 2681
Joined: March 21st, 2012, 8:30 am

Re: Discord server?

Post by sear » January 4th, 2019, 6:43 am

We certainly appreciate the feedback. Discord is something we've talked about, but at least on my end, I haven't heard any plans to launch one. You can bet you'll hear about it if it happens. :)

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9779
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Discord server?

Post by Drool » January 4th, 2019, 4:41 pm

I know inXile has weighed in, but...

I've found that most of the dev discords I've been on have turned into a blur of information that is difficult to process and most of it ends up ignored. Discord just isn't as granular as forums. It would be like if every subforum had all its threads merged into one and trying to follow.

Sure, it's great for a small beta test group or the like, but big Discords are generally just a mess. Devs generally use it for announcements and the rest is just a mess of people chatting about random nonsense with little to no structure.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

User avatar
Gizmo
Grandmaster
Posts: 3729
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 6:25 am

Re: Discord server?

Post by Gizmo » January 4th, 2019, 5:01 pm

It could be useful to use for the purpose of telling a dev that their forum inbox is full. :P

Jozape
Explorer
Posts: 310
Joined: March 5th, 2012, 1:50 pm
Location: USA

Re: Discord server?

Post by Jozape » January 5th, 2019, 3:43 am

Drool wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 4:41 pm
I know inXile has weighed in, but...

I've found that most of the dev discords I've been on have turned into a blur of information that is difficult to process and most of it ends up ignored. Discord just isn't as granular as forums. It would be like if every subforum had all its threads merged into one and trying to follow.

Sure, it's great for a small beta test group or the like, but big Discords are generally just a mess. Devs generally use it for announcements and the rest is just a mess of people chatting about random nonsense with little to no structure.
That was my first thought too. I'm on a few discord servers for for some itty bitty communities, and the amount of output even with all the nominally separate channels is difficult. Then again this community is not very active nowadays but hopefully that will change, with Wasteland 3 being a huge success and inXile somehow being much more communicative...

User avatar
lt-shepherd
Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: October 21st, 2017, 6:43 am

Re: Discord server?

Post by lt-shepherd » January 5th, 2019, 3:55 am

Jozape wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 3:43 am
Drool wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 4:41 pm
I know inXile has weighed in, but...

I've found that most of the dev discords I've been on have turned into a blur of information that is difficult to process and most of it ends up ignored. Discord just isn't as granular as forums. It would be like if every subforum had all its threads merged into one and trying to follow.

Sure, it's great for a small beta test group or the like, but big Discords are generally just a mess. Devs generally use it for announcements and the rest is just a mess of people chatting about random nonsense with little to no structure.
That was my first thought too. I'm on a few discord servers for for some itty bitty communities, and the amount of output even with all the nominally separate channels is difficult. Then again this community is not very active nowadays but hopefully that will change, with Wasteland 3 being a huge success and inXile somehow being much more communicative...
The thing is with discord, is that you can create and remove channels to steer conversations in a certain way, weather it is to keep to the topic or about something off-topic.

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9779
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Discord server?

Post by Drool » January 5th, 2019, 2:19 pm

lt-shepherd wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 3:55 am
The thing is with discord, is that you can create and remove channels to steer conversations in a certain way, weather it is to keep to the topic or about something off-topic.
Yes. Yes you can. You can consign conversations and information to oblivion to try and maintain some kind order. Or you can have a forum where you don't have to delete anything because it has the aforementioned granularity that allows you to keep things tightly organized.

This forum has almost 200k posts across 24 subforums and 13k threads. This specific subforum alone has 183 threads. That's a lot of channels to maintain.

I'm on Senscape's Discord for their development of Asylum. They have, let's see... 28 text channels and two voice. Two of those 28 are for other languages. 5 are... I dunno... kind of general chat channels (memes, movies, other games, etc). 7 are for some kind of group playthrough of adventure games? Really not sure there. 3 are for members to talk about game development and fanfic. 3 are different general chat things, but more focused on the horror genre. 1 is an automated "Welcome to this Discord" channel that's only posted on by a bot. 3 are general rules and announcements for the company. 3 are for the company's three games (one of which is the game that's being developed and that the discord server is for). And finally, one is for the developer's journal.

Needless to say I quickly turned off notifications for this server because it was just an absolute flood of nonsense that I didn't care about. Only two of those 28 channels hold any interest for me. And of those two, only the dev journal is really followable because only the dev posts there. Hell, the bulk of those channels are present on nearly every forum ever created.

Discord is great for small teams or for chatting with your friends, but once you get over about 20 people or so, it really starts to balloon. Once you're over 100, entire channels become useless because the stream of information is too much to keep up with.

For instance, imagine trying to have this conversation on Discord.

Gizmo wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 5:01 pm
It could be useful to use for the purpose of telling a dev that their forum inbox is full. :P
Well played, sir.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

User avatar
lt-shepherd
Novice
Posts: 32
Joined: October 21st, 2017, 6:43 am

Re: Discord server?

Post by lt-shepherd » January 5th, 2019, 10:13 pm

Drool wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 2:19 pm
lt-shepherd wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 3:55 am
The thing is with discord, is that you can create and remove channels to steer conversations in a certain way, weather it is to keep to the topic or about something off-topic.
Yes. Yes you can. You can consign conversations and information to oblivion to try and maintain some kind order. Or you can have a forum where you don't have to delete anything because it has the aforementioned granularity that allows you to keep things tightly organized.

This forum has almost 200k posts across 24 subforums and 13k threads. This specific subforum alone has 183 threads. That's a lot of channels to maintain.

I'm on Senscape's Discord for their development of Asylum. They have, let's see... 28 text channels and two voice. Two of those 28 are for other languages. 5 are... I dunno... kind of general chat channels (memes, movies, other games, etc). 7 are for some kind of group playthrough of adventure games? Really not sure there. 3 are for members to talk about game development and fanfic. 3 are different general chat things, but more focused on the horror genre. 1 is an automated "Welcome to this Discord" channel that's only posted on by a bot. 3 are general rules and announcements for the company. 3 are for the company's three games (one of which is the game that's being developed and that the discord server is for). And finally, one is for the developer's journal.

Needless to say I quickly turned off notifications for this server because it was just an absolute flood of nonsense that I didn't care about. Only two of those 28 channels hold any interest for me. And of those two, only the dev journal is really followable because only the dev posts there. Hell, the bulk of those channels are present on nearly every forum ever created.

Discord is great for small teams or for chatting with your friends, but once you get over about 20 people or so, it really starts to balloon. Once you're over 100, entire channels become useless because the stream of information is too much to keep up with.

For instance, imagine trying to have this conversation on Discord.

Gizmo wrote:
January 4th, 2019, 5:01 pm
It could be useful to use for the purpose of telling a dev that their forum inbox is full. :P
Well played, sir.
now, you see i can totally agree with you that having 28 channels is a total mess, thats a good example how not to steer the conversation to the right direction. if it were my way, i would only keep the important ones around (stuff for devs, 1 general chat, and so on), in total it wouldnt even pass 10 channels. my point is, is that knowing how to manage is not easy, and if its not managed right like that discord server, itll be a mess.

User avatar
Highwayman667
Acolyte
Posts: 85
Joined: October 4th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Re: Discord server?

Post by Highwayman667 » March 10th, 2019, 1:35 pm

lt-shepherd wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 3:55 am
The thing is with discord, is that you can create and remove channels to steer conversations in a certain way, weather it is to keep to the topic or about something off-topic.
Interesting :o

User avatar
paultakeda
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2809
Joined: March 14th, 2012, 2:47 pm
Location: AAAAAARGH!

Re: Discord server?

Post by paultakeda » March 11th, 2019, 10:35 am

I only see the value in that during an active period of development that would benefit from direct feedback specific to that active period of development.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with using the forums to promote an active, productive user base that provides general constructive criticism and commentary over a period of time.

User avatar
Highwayman667
Acolyte
Posts: 85
Joined: October 4th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Re: Discord server?

Post by Highwayman667 » March 11th, 2019, 1:07 pm

paultakeda wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 10:35 am
Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with using the forums to promote an active, productive user base that provides general constructive criticism and commentary over a period of time.
Now if only we had new info on Wasteland 3... :x

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest