Lesson learned since Wasteland 2, what should we expect to improve in the sequel?

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Araton
Novice

Lesson learned since Wasteland 2, what should we expect to improve in the sequel?

Post by Araton » October 19th, 2018, 12:46 am

Hi there,

I haven't posted on this forum for a long time and I had a couple of questions regarding Wasteland 3, which I backed 2 years ago. I'm mostly interested in the changes that are coming to Wasteland 3 compared to Wasteland 2. Now, I underatand some of these questions might have been answered a year or two ago, yet, I still want to know what the current status is.

I feel like I need to say right from the start that Wasteland 2's best part was the first half in Arizona, which backers on the Kickstarter of the game could test and provide valuble feedback on to the developers. My first and (to me the) most important question is related to this.

So, the questions are:
  • Will the backers be able to test Wasteland 3 (Alpha or Beta Build) from start to finish or are they going to get a small polished portion of the game?

Is weapon and armor balancing on the table?

Are some of the underperforming weapons such as the pistols planned to receive an overhaul?

Was the visible armor debate solved? Will the player be able to toggle armor of their rangers on and off?

Are we expected to receive a complete story with complete game play? (Which in my opinion wasn't really the case with Wasteland 2. See the Los Angeles part.)

Which parts of Wasteland 2 did you find the weakest when it came to execution and which were the strongest?
Last edited by Araton on October 19th, 2018, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzyballs01
Acolyte

Re: Lesson learned since Wasteland 2, what should we expect to improve in the sequel?

Post by fuzzyballs01 » October 19th, 2018, 12:51 am

wanna know what I did? I modded the game so pistols and SMG's cost one less AP to use
that balanced them out

when you say complete story, are you nagging about a beta, or te full game?

I got another question for you

WIll bad writer logic be gone in this game
remember when you go to LA? the pilot decides to crash the chopper and die instead of landing nearby?
so when Matthias goes to Ranger Citadel, you're on a chopper 5 minutes later, while none of you can fly, and it doesn't even have fuel tanks like the one you took from CA?
and he still had enough time to take over the entire base, and let all the people you helped travel to the Citadel

in 5 minutes?

do you know what good writing would have been?
the chopper landed nearby because "no fuel and it's a 15 minute walk"
Ranger team still got a case of "plot death", because your only objective and location is Santa Fe, nowhere else to go
so an objective is to find fuel, and you find a jerrycan or sometrhing nearby to get the chopper into santa fe and maybe enough to fly to one other location until you find more
so when Matthias leaves, there's a staging area that has, guess what? fuel!
so you go back to the pilot, and end the LA adventure by telling him about the fuel
you fly over
fill up
go back to CA
but oh no! Matthias has taken over the Citadel because of the time it took you to go back to Santa Fe, fly back to the CotC, refuel, and fly over to CA

now that would have made sense
just crashing didn't
how can the chopper even be burning with no fuel
what kind of pilot would manage to crash right into the location they were flying to, at that point, he should have been in the middle of landing

WL2 has a few of those bad writing moments, and they all bug me
oooh
like how you choose Highpool or the ag centre?
water is more important
seeds can be recovered and a new ag centre can be built, you can't rebuild a water pumping facility
and they still tell you people went hungry
look at the farms next to the prison
make a deal with the RSM or take over the prison if you killed Danforth
I hate bad logic in games
no idea why I'm bitching about it on your post

Araton
Novice

Re: Lesson learned since Wasteland 2, what should we expect to improve in the sequel?

Post by Araton » October 19th, 2018, 1:06 am

wanna know what I did? I modded the game so pistols and SMG's cost one less AP to use
that balanced them out
Sure, you could do that. Yet, I'm hoping we won't have to mod the game to get a balance that works for all weapon types.
When you say complete story, are you nagging about a beta, or te full game?
Half assed solutions lead to a half assed game. In my opinion this strongly applies to the LA part. The boss fight with the Scopitron was underwhelming. The lack of detail and story for some of the locations (gods militia and the helicopter crash in Santa Fe).

Then the end game with mixing up Dugan with Mathias. Speeding up the end of the game (and possibly cutting content). I just don't believe that this was the original plan for these two characters. While the Matthias line was kind of Ok, Dugan felt rushed. I was expecting a robot faction of some sort to be led by Dugan.
remember when you go to LA? the pilot decides to crash the chopper and die instead of landing nearby?
so when Matthias goes to Ranger Citadel, you're on a chopper 5 minutes later, while none of you can fly, and it doesn't even have fuel tanks like the one you took from CA?
and he still had enough time to take over the entire base, and let all the people you helped travel to the Citadel

in 5 minutes?
I do think these weren't the writer's fault. I think the game's end was just rushed and this is what we got. You might be right about the rest. To me the Arizona part didn't feel that bad. I just hope, the sequel will stay clear of these issues.