PLAYER-CREATED CHARACTERS ARE HUGELY IMPORTANT.

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: PLAYER-CREATED CHARACTERS ARE HUGELY IMPORTANT.

Post by Drool » October 4th, 2018, 5:43 pm

So did spells, doesn't mean they'd fit in either.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Highwayman667
Initiate

Post by Highwayman667 » October 10th, 2018, 8:21 am

Drool wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 5:43 pm
If people are sure about what they want, then it would deffinitely not work for this iteration of Wasteland to have a "Developer Created Character". Players and developers both want their squad made with their own creativity, then it's better for them to have it.

But if a lot of people had been told that an RPG franchise (The Witcher series) was coming that would not allow you to create your own character, and that it would be one of the best videogame series of all time, nobody would've believed it.

So honestly, if Wasteland 4 prohibits player-created characters... it could be a good thing as well !

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 11th, 2018, 12:09 am

Highwayman667 wrote:
October 10th, 2018, 8:21 am
Drool wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 5:43 pm
If people are sure about what they want, then it would deffinitely not work for this iteration of Wasteland to have a "Developer Created Character". Players and developers both want their squad made with their own creativity, then it's better for them to have it.

But if a lot of people had been told that an RPG franchise (The Witcher series) was coming that would not allow you to create your own character, and that it would be one of the best videogame series of all time, nobody would've believed it.

So honestly, if Wasteland 4 prohibits player-created characters... it could be a good thing as well !
No one is saying it couldn't be good. We are saying that for us, the Player created characters is something we loved, and want. You can create Dev Created characters if you want, but don't force us to make use of them, even if it is only for an arbitrary amount of time (See BT4)
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 11th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Highwayman667 wrote:
October 10th, 2018, 8:21 am
Let me be clear. I don't disagree that "Wasteland 4: the story of Joe Blow" could be a great RPG. (I could do without the 4 as it wouldn't be a "true sequel", but I won't quibble about it.) I love the Witcher series too.

BUT. For a party-based game that ostensibly does let you make your own characters, it is poison to gate that ability behind a forced march with premade PCs. Compelling players to get halfway through Bard's Tale IV before they can make their own characters was a big mistake and I'm not aware of a single player who is actively happy about it. At best, they used the premade characters anyway so they had no dog in the race.

(Sidebar: although I do love the Witcher and this type of game can be great, I don't think inXile should invest in this path. To be blunt, I have no reason to trust them to come up with a character as charismatic as Geralt of Rivia. Remember that whoever the protagonist is, in a game like this we are stuck with them for dozens of hours! If I don't like Joe Blow, the game sucks (cf. Fallout 4). Much better for the devs to give robust creation tools and let me build my own protagonist(s), who I am guaranteed to enjoy.)

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 11th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Woolfe wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 12:09 am
No one is saying it couldn't be good. We are saying that for us, the Player created characters is something we loved, and want. You can create Dev Created characters if you want, but don't force us to make use of them, even if it is only for an arbitrary amount of time (See BT4)
For my part, I have zero problems with this, and would equally accept (without reservations) the ability to make my own PC, or to be assigned prefabricated PCs. The point is simply to roleplay, and one gets a role either way. Image

*Arguably the assigned roles have the potential to be better integrated into the story, since the developers know exactly who they are dealing with, and don't have to guess. (IE. Geralt of Rivia vs. some random prisoner just released, with no past, or past acquaintances.)

** It is very interesting (and telling) to me that a good many Grimrock mods feature a pre-designed party for storytelling reasons; this is even though the game does not natively support this (though it does come with a set of default PCs). I have scripted the functionality (to enable this) for others in the past, who wanted to start the player off with their planned protagonist, and ease them into a controlling a full party as they rescue or encounter their other pre-defined characters.

*** That's not to say that I think WL3 should do this. The WL series, as well as the Bard's Tale(s), and even the SSI Gold Box games, should all, and only feature a player made party——or use of the default party... Not a slow doling out of the PCs (like the mods that I've mentioned. Those were mods that radically altered the expected gameplay, not official sequels... that of course, should not.)

Gillsing
Scholar

Post by Gillsing » November 16th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Zombra wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 12:14 pm
... although I do love the Witcher and this type of game can be great, I don't think inXile should invest in this path. To be blunt, I have no reason to trust them to come up with a character as charismatic as Geralt of Rivia.
I only played the first part of The Witcher 1, and I don't recall Geralt being particularly charismatic. Sure, the women all seemed to think he was quite charismatic, but I found him rather boring. Now, the bard in The Bard's Tale (2004), that was a funny guy. So I guess I have reason to trust inXile to come up with charismatic characters. Haven't played The Bard's Tale IV though. Maybe their recent track record for charismatic characters isn't that great?