InXile going full-casual (Wasteland: Frost Point)

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

InXile going full-casual (Wasteland: Frost Point)

Post by Crosmando » August 11th, 2018, 5:26 am

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.ph ... st-5734418
Wasteland: Frost Point is a PUBG/Fortnite-like but in VR, from gumi's earnings report last June:

(Japanese, p.35) http://v4.eir-parts.net/DocumentTemp/20 ... fd3b_0.pdf

Release in 2019, gumi has the rights to global publishing.

Transcript: (Japanese) https://logmi.jp/293416

Google Translate slight edited said:

Another thing that we are making with inXile is "Wasteland" which sold 30 million, this is an open world survival genre.

Now in the global world, this open world survival genre is pretty much sweeping. In fact, like "PUBG" and "Fortnite", last year break-up game are almost of this genre's genre.

Now in Xile is making exactly that VR version of the open world survival. As you may know by playing "PUBG" or "Fortnite", battle royal is a genre that 50 and 100 people are in one place and killing each other. At the end, the last one survivor is the winner, it is an e-sports game with that simple rule. I think VR is more suitable for this genre.

Currently it's in development, here is also a video.

(Video flowing)

While hiding around these worlds, you will fight various enemies and other players from the first person perspective.

Like RPGs, when it comes to VR, it feels like you really are in the wilderness world and survive within it, so it does not compare with existing PCs or mobile with tension and pounding feeling.

Where does "30 million" come from? Did they mean 3 million?

And from the slides, gumi also invested on Robot Cache.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: InXile going full-casual (Wasteland: Frost Point)

Post by Drool » August 11th, 2018, 3:06 pm

"Full casual"? Look, I know you don't like anything multiplayer, but calling battle royales casual is completely ridiculous. Unless "casual" just means "a game I don't much care for".

Also, Gumi is a developer, so this sounds more like "inXile licensed Wasteland to another company". Not as sexy a title, I know.

Finally, they're probably talking about money with that 30 million as opposed to copies. Probably in dollars as 30 million yen is about 270k. 30M dollars seems a little high, but if you include WL2 and 3 backers, plus original sales of the first game back in the 80s, you could probably hit that figure. And since this seems to be a presentation for stock holders or potential investors, massaging the numbers wouldn't be terribly surprising.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » August 11th, 2018, 10:20 pm

A VR battle royale game could be interesting tho, assuming they get to market early with it....
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Lix
Acolyte

Post by Lix » August 12th, 2018, 2:41 am

Drool wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 3:06 pm
Also, Gumi is a developer, so this sounds more like "inXile licensed Wasteland to another company". Not as sexy a title, I know.
Gumi is the investor, inXile is developing it:
phimseto wrote:
July 12th, 2017, 8:01 am
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... om-gumi-vr

Brian Fargo's inXile Entertainment has landed an investment from gumi VR, a subsidiary of Japan's gumi Inc. The $4.5 million investment is a combined total covering part equity in inXile and funding for a brand-new VR project. Fargo intends to build on his VR success with Mage's Tale by creating an open-world survival title for all high-end VR headsets.
As part of the equity deal, gumi CEO Hironao Kunimitsu also joins inXile Entertainment's board.
The Newport Beach studio (Wasteland 2,3, Torment) was hiring developers for this project in 2017:
“Gumi’s main focus here is on VR, and it appreciated the quality of the Mage’s Tale and sought us out based on it,” Fargo said. “One of the other great aspects to our partnership is that Gumi may help us bring our franchises into the Asian marketplace, something you need a local partner for.”

The studio will be hiring to help augment its already talented design and development crew.

“We we will be adding staff to help us with uniqueness of making a server-based game,” Fargo said “We’ve already found talented programmers who have created server-based games using Unreal and we’ll have a special talent announcement in the future. We are taking this initiative very seriously and want to bring in the best.”
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18630

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » August 12th, 2018, 5:11 am

Not a big surpise. It is speculated since around WL3 backing that a VR Wasteland spin-off will come.
Not that I care much, it doesn't ring my bell in the first place, nor would I have enough space to use that properly. That said: VR is a thing in Asia? I always thought most asians live in even tinier flats than us europeans.

And finally - I think I said that before - if InXile can make money with VR and use this profit (also) to bring proper classic RPGs, like WL2, I am fine with it.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » August 16th, 2018, 9:39 pm

I don't understand any of this. Is this important to know in any way?

A- A sub-project-branch of Inexile is making a new WL game for VR.
B- Someone put the wrong logo on the wrong titled-Wasteland game and none of this involves anyone.
C- This is an extra mode for Wl3, like the multiplayer, but for Stalker and Battle Fortress fans.

Flanker_27
Initiate

Post by Flanker_27 » August 17th, 2018, 10:14 am

This. It isn't WL3, it's a spin off game ; it doesn't mean anything about how the next game in the series will turn out. I'll just do as usual ; wait and see, so that I won't be disappointed if the game isn't for me.

undecaf
Explorer

Post by undecaf » September 19th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Don’t know about the game in the OP, but looking at how Bard’s Tale 4 is doing...

Please for the love of god do not try too hard to appeal to the mainstream through overt streamlining for the dumdum’s or too much focus on visuals and VO’s with Wasteland 3. Make a complex game with deep systems, features and interactivity, and.... charming and humble visually is often better that attempting at overly crisp and realistic and hardware-heavy.
"A human being in his last extremity IS a bag of shit."

Quarex
Scholar

Post by Quarex » September 19th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Hey, the more worthwhile things I can do with my Vive the better!