Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Drool »

Mole204 wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 8:24 pmThe swearing's still unnecessary.
That poor horse.
How do you "camp" until you get a random encounter? Like in WL1, where holding down Esc would tick past in place.
Walk around in circles.

Man, feels like I've said that several times already.
I don't know how I triggered the Gideon Rayes storyline, but I did.
New things unlock as you complete other things.
Going up levels means getting more hit points, more skill points. So yes leveling up is clearly needed.
Yes. Thank you. Despite playing RPGs for roughly 30 years, I wasn't aware that fights lead to XP which lead to levels, which leads to more skill points.

Perhaps try reading what's been written. The game showers you in XP from quests and skill checks. The XP from these non-combat sources absolutely dwarf the XP for random encounters. And since you seem to be having trouble surviving combat, actively seeking it out seems... counterproductive.
A big part of WL1 was the random encounters.
Excessively so, some would say.
By numbers it's nearly dropped in wl3. Few as they are, it's still worth seeking them out.
If you say so. I avoided them every time until the ramping difficulty outstripped my Survival skill, and then I hated it every time the game zoomed in. They were a waste of resources and time.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
Hawkeye
Acolyte

Post by Hawkeye »

Drool wrote: September 25th, 2020, 3:16 pm
A big part of WL1 was the random encounters.
Excessively so, some would say.
By numbers it's nearly dropped in wl3. Few as they are, it's still worth seeking them out.
If you say so. I avoided them every time until the ramping difficulty outstripped my Survival skill, and then I hated it every time the game zoomed in. They were a waste of resources and time.
So much this. I'd LOVE to have an option to turn off random encounters.
I want to spent what time I have to actually play the game, advancing the story

Also, if one needs to "grind" random encounters to advance, then that is not fun gameplay.
I either play a game and have fun or I "grind" encounters to get to the point where I _can_ have fun playing.
Now, where the point of playing (and fighting) becomes a "grind" is, of course, different for everyone, but for me, that threshold is rather low.
Note: I'm not saying this is the case with WL3 because, AFAICT, it isn't (well, not for me) but the idea of "rah, rah, I can't grind enough via random encounters" is ridiculous and it should rather be "rah, rah, the game is stupidly designed because I can't progress without grinding like crazy"
Of course I belive in peace - peace through superior firepower
marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror »

I did my first run through on normal. I'm currently playing a second on hard. I really have not found this game to be particularly challenging at all. I did research my first party for a couple of day before starting, and then improved upon that design for game two. I mean, my party members can't even die, so any mistakes I do make have minimal consequences from a combat point of view. I never farmed random encounters, and maybe did as many as 6 total in my first playthrough -- 3 of those being scorpitrons.

I wish I could explain what I'm doing that might be different than someone who is struggling. I suppose my experience with WL2 got me pretty grounded, and many of the same combat principles apply here. Playing games like XCOM/XCOM2 and even D:OS I'm sure add to the background experience of players. Starting battles is a pretty big advantage that I try to take advantage of as much as possible. I may eventually do a run where I create a house rule to not allow myself to attack enemies before they are aware of me. Hmm, I'm sure it's a challenge to balance a game that has such a disparity in player experience and difficulty.
Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo »

How many people here believe that they are entitled to win the game if they play it?
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

Hawkeye wrote: September 25th, 2020, 9:34 pmAlso, if one needs to "grind" random encounters to advance, then that is not fun gameplay.
Agreed. Now, if you're 10XP from a level and, say, the Irv fight has been giving you fits, I can see trying to grind out that XP to make things a little easier. But that's quite a bit different than driving around in circles for hours on the world map to grind up multiple levels. Honestly, grinding isn't really playing the game. It's just... vamping... until you can play the game.
Note: I'm not saying this is the case with WL3 because, AFAICT, it isn't (well, not for me)
I found Supreme Jerk pretty unforgiving. But, it was so unforgiving that random encounters were terrifying.
Gizmo wrote: September 26th, 2020, 3:03 amHow many people here believe that they are entitled to win the game if they play it?
This is a complicated question with somewhat loaded language.

Entitled? No, probably not, because that's an exceptionally charged word. That said, if the game has difficulty levels, then it should probably be balanced so that pretty much anyone can beat the game on the lowest difficulty (even if it takes a bit of effort). Further, if you have difficulty levels, you shouldn't punish the player for selecting the easiest one. Honestly, one of the things I hate the most about playing old console games (eg: Golden Axe) was cutting the game off at the half-way point if you played on the easiest difficulty. Lock out the good ending or a secret "true ending", sure, but don't stop after level 3 and yell at me to pick another difficulty level. Especially if you're limiting continues. Jerks.

Now, some games revel in their difficulty, classic example being Dark Souls. However, generally, games like that are very up front about their difficulty level, so you aren't going in blind if you spend a few moments looking.

That being said, I do understand people who get upset about finding a game too difficult. After all, they paid good money for the game. Suppose it's a matter of if you focus on the journey or the destination.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
Mole204
Explorer

Post by Mole204 »

How do you "camp" until you get a random encounter? Like in WL1, where holding down Esc would tick past in place.

Walk around in circles.
Man, feels like I've said that several times already.
Yet you miss the obvious: that such an ability is needed.
Driving around is much faster with the turbo charger. It should be available earlier in the game. It makes searching for trailers easier now that more ground is covered. I just really want a "go to X City" function for the truck.
That poor horse.
Yet you miss the obvious: that the writers should/can do better.
They can do better. Truthfully anyone can do better. Because they were hired to make a game, and to think up something to put into it. So why didn't they think up something!
Even just "bunny pellets" might be a useful clue to following the trail of the Bunnymaster, or some other hidden game-goal.
Perhaps try reading what's been written.
Perhaps you should try to remember what it's like to enjoy playing an RPG game. We just do it differently. There's nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy playing Wl3. And for me that includes the random encounters. Just like in WL 1,2,R, 3-beta, and now 3.
I'd LOVE to have an option to turn off random encounters.
I can agree with Hawk that there would be times that RE's would be nothing but an annoyance. In my case, I just haven't gotten to that point yet, or if I have there was no RE that happened at the wrong time.
How many people here believe that they are entitled to win the game if they play it?
Not me. You can do anything, including lose. But that shouldn't be for "the game master AI is a jerk" reasons. That's part of the reason why level grinding is needed: Put in the work to get the levels you need to play the really hard fights. And said work should not be a boring enjoymentless experience.

I played the Tellurium mines fight like 5 times until I was the one to land the last shot on the Scorpitron. I still didn't get a steam badge, for any of them. I did get the hood ornament though.

It's too bad players can't use the junk item 'reactor core' on Morningstar- it's what he wanted, right? After all, there was the quest in wl1 and wl2 to go get an engine! Or the same on the space shuttle in Denver. That'd be a trip. :)
Or be able to use the no glow or whatever to remove drug effects on Nina the finger chewer.
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

Mole204 wrote: September 28th, 2020, 10:56 pmYet you miss the obvious: that such an ability is needed.
You keep saying needed...
Perhaps you should try to remember what it's like to enjoy playing an RPG game.
I do. Please quit trying to psychoanalyze me online; you're terrible at it.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
Mole204
Explorer

Post by Mole204 »

Are we not talking in the Announcements about the new 111 patch? OK, I've got 'here' to post.
I think everything's faster- the scroll rate, the sprite run animation, the fight animations, everything. So yeah, improvement. I got the update just before the Ironclad encounter, so I've still got a ways to go on zooming around the game. But it does seem like a big improvement. From the random encounter levels, to RHQ, it seems to run a bit faster and smoother. I can't tell if the load is the same or not, and don't have time records, but I can hope it's got a few seconds shaved off of it too. Good to see that it's a useful, clean update.

Next up on the Known Inxile's Do-list is the wl3 DLC. here's hoping the things promised in the "behind the scenes" development posts are coming. The burger clown, the suicide hotel, and all that stuff.

Return to “Wasteland 3: General Discussion”