Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10163
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Drool »

Mole204 wrote: April 5th, 2020, 6:32 pmNot a problem anyway, outside the lack of explanation.
I mean, there's a popup, but yes, it could be more clear.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
User avatar
Mole204
Explorer
Posts: 353
Joined: May 6th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Mole204 »

I know I've been hard on some elements of the game, going after the categories of dialogue and story, but aside from the obvious mistakes, it's pretty good. The ending at the Garden gives a nice showdown feel with Libby. The overall story of the Patriarch, and the troubles that Colorado is in. The Deluge is exactly the sort of regional superstition there should be. Wasn't there was a water based disaster in Fallout?
I'm tempted to make an all Rinny team and name them after Gelflings.
Has anyone managed to open the underground door behind the medical bay in HQ?
Has anyone figured out a sniper rifle with range long enough to kill the Dorseys and save the two rangers from the fight just after the Jodie Bell encounter?

Wrong: swearing
Right: People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.
Obviously, wrong is Jodie Bell saying ## this ##. Instead of something clean, like "When I get back to Arizona I 'm coming back here with the first A-bomb I see."
User avatar
Stuurminator
Scholar
Posts: 237
Joined: March 23rd, 2014, 12:43 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Stuurminator »

Mole204 wrote: April 8th, 2020, 1:32 pmWrong: swearing
Right: People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.
Obviously, wrong is Jodie Bell saying ## this ##. Instead of something clean, like "When I get back to Arizona I 'm coming back here with the first A-bomb I see."
Not everyone can or should have witty repartee in their back pocket. It's okay to have some people say clever things some of the time, but when people who are supposed to be furious, terrified, or just boors are throwing out witty repartee, they come off as less human.

Besides, you can't have dialogue consisting entirely of zingers, just as you can't have a diet consisting entirely of candy. They're fun because of their infrequency.
User avatar
Gizmo
Grandmaster
Posts: 3855
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 6:25 am

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Gizmo »

Mole204 wrote: April 8th, 2020, 1:32 pmWrong: swearing
Right: People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.
Why is it that you do not consider these two points to go hand in hand?
Ask just about anyone---possibly in any country, and I think most would agree, and expect that they usually do. Such vocabulary is practically ancillary to certain personality types; incredulous when absent.

*Granted... I have not heard these swearing lines spoken in game; it is the case that some (inexperienced?) writers often seem to toss in expletives simply for sake of having them, and that often comes across as seeming awkwardly forced and irksome.

In the original Transformers:The Movie, the writers did actually include a single swear; spoken by the human character Spike. That was certainly unexpected, but it was deliberately done to affect the film's rating. They wanted to ensure that the movie was not relegated to daytime matinee viewing; they wanted the PG crowd. Perhaps it's the same with WL3.
User avatar
Mole204
Explorer
Posts: 353
Joined: May 6th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Mole204 »

*Granted... I have not heard these swearing lines spoken in game; it is the case that some (inexperienced?) writers often seem to toss in expletives simply for sake of having them, and that often comes across as seeming awkwardly forced and irksome.
Yes, you understand. Now apply that to the rest of the game, however you want to describe it: tarred with the same brush, judged by the wrong company, etc. Yes there's some people out there who don't care about some swearing because they do worse, but do you think that there's enough of them to carry the game's sales? They don't care, remember?
No swearing, but would you get the same cool factor or better if you praised the Killdozer?
They wanted to ensure that the movie was not relegated to daytime matinee viewing; they wanted the PG crowd. Perhaps it's the same with WL3.
Yes, and that's fine. This ain't the line for the Dora movie.
If you want the audience, then you have to work to get that audience. Now it seems like you're trying to fill out a list of pings that happen in the genre. One without any thought put into it but since that's what the _last_ guys did that means you have to jam it into your works to. Any anyone who disagrees is a crazy Mannerite for daring to use his brain and question if the thing you're working on could be better.
There are other directions the "PG crowd" line could be explored, but this will have to do for now.

Now what audience do you want, are you aiming for? Ones who could be impressed by the amount of bite in the game, or the ones who seem to be impressed by fart noises?
Such vocabulary is practically ancillary to certain personality types; incredulous when absent.
And yet "Oh, swearing, that must mean you're so tough." but no, it just means you're a 4 year old who should be housebroken.
Also, just mentioning the 3 Amigos, there was some swearing, but it wasn't needed. You son of a motherless goat.
That's an example right there of a memorable line that comes together to make a memorable product.
The WL raiders and punks don't need to swear. They don't even need to talk. They're there to be combat encounter fodder. If you want them to say anything, then they should be written for the game buying audience. Think up something cool, amusing, snarky. Something entertaining, not something unoriginal and offensive.

--
I'm slightly torn on replying, because I don't want to derail the Good Bad Ugly thread's premise further, so I'll just dump all this here.
you want a BB gun lady to be OP
WHY
Because it's a callback to the first game. Because a (supposed to be) unbeatable foe can be fun. The rule of Lord British, for example. Because if wl3 is going to make a big deal about branching story paths, let's have something for the "kill everything" players- which gives some crossover for the ones who like to look under ever rock, shoot up every slot machine to see what the failsafe character does. Killing Captain Keys. Digging the grave at the start of Wl2.
I want tons of swearing because it's the apocalypse
No, you just want tons of swearing. Go find that elsewhere without ruining the game for the rest of the players. Remove the swearing and it'll be closer to on target.
Indulging a programmer's need to be a jerk is less important than making more sales. Defending someone else's jerkery because you want to get away with the same level is not a good motivation.
Wulfric is my name
Sounds totally viking. Even if the swearing in the game was instead a bunch of scandinavian fish jokes, at least it'd be cleaner and if done right, intriguing. Swearing isn't intriguing.
I'm just curious, what would you like to achieve with your constant whining?
Improvement. Every swear word in the game, here and else where, is wasted potential. Example, there's a trait in the character creation called Two pump chump. That's a term used almost exclusively as a insult. Now I totally approve of trying to get things under the radar, and there isn't all that much reason to remove it, but hey, idea. (not a demand, just forum talking) But instead of being crass that could have been Pump action chump. Imagine the robot cocking the shotgun by holding it against his pants. It would even have an in-story connection to wl2. "After a time of hidden explosives and missing arms, there were a number of ex-rail workers who took to the Wastes armed with the only weapon they could use one handed."
Most people irl are swearing,
Not my problem. Their lack of control, and likely chemical imbalance also, is not my problem either. As well as the fact there's people who stay in their own insular little geographically chosen group with people willing to put up with it so that they too can act like mindless chimps. If you choose to include yourself in that, again not my problem. My point is that it is often a culture shock to them to find out that their bad behavior is not tolerated everywhere. And speaking for myself I just don't want you to encourage fouling up another wasteland game.
Thank God this is not a Christian server!
Yeah, we'd get away with fewer Raider-burnings then. The gunner nunners would have been right out.
like the mad monks or people killing plants, raiders who wear their victim's skin as leather, or frigging nuns with SMG's and body armor
you could replace that all with a standard raider but then I doubt that would have kept your interest very long
Yes, exactly. What makes you think swearing keeps anyone's attention? It doesn't keep mine. It doesn't mean it's something I'd buy for someone else. It isn't entertaining, it isn't amusing, and it isn't something that would allow a wider spread of consumers to purchase and openly play.
there's even prostitution in the game which can give your character an STD or a hooker with three tits, weird stuff is fun stuff
No problems there. The prostitution happens off screen. There's no nudity. There's no descriptive text about it. If you can't have mutants, then why even have fictional radiation? Besides, a lawman has to go where the criminals are.
Not everyone can or should have witty repartee in their back pocket.
Then why even HAVE words in the game?
They can and should when the WRITERS of the game are so far INSTEAD using the lowest, laziest, and least entertaining words they can.
If it isn't going to entertain, isn't going to improve the game, is actually going to limit the game, then why even have text or speech in the game? Why not drop it all and switch to relentless raider fighting combat? I haven't played Doom Eternal, but I haven't heard of any swearing in that game. No I am not mixing it up with Animal Crossing. ... No I would not object to mixing it with Animal Crossing.

People don't quote Spanish Pilot swearing, they quote Picard's "Appropriately sinister!" and "Defiled is what you are! Damned! Cursed!"

Wl3 doesn't need swearing and tantrum-throwing- it needs cleverness.
"We have a name. That means a lead. Let's go ask where the rest of the Dorseys are."
"What can I get you?" "50 tombstones, name of Dorsey."
"Do you have a permit for that rocket launcher?"
"Some people are a bucket of crazy over a well of crazy."
"Just because something's in fashion for a few scumbags doesn't mean that I'm going to join in."
"He's dead. Stop pulling organs out him."
"You're under arrest. Now put down the unidentified organ."
They're fun because of their infrequency.
Then let the exploration and worldbuilding and combat be the lull between intelligent lines.
dude, you're better of just ignoring him because he's like a broken record that won't stop screeching the same old noise
Funny, that's part of what my whole against stance against swearing is based on. Perhaps you need to get used to reading words longer then 4 letters in length.

Yes, there has been arguing, but on my side of things it's not out of a love of arguing. Others, I suspect just want to be contrary. There are things I am right about and others are wrong about and that's just the way it is. I examine my own ideas and make sure not to press on about anything that I'm wrong about, that's regional, that's subjective, that's what I want.
Expect for where it is, and I'm clear about that. The paragraph book from the first game should have been carried over into the second, and now 3rd game. As a bundle of ideas, as a collection of scraps, as disinformation, as an alternate retelling of what hasn't happened, as I Love Bees.
The tone of the series has changed, and to me that's unnecessary. Wasteland Remastered is visually everything I wanted Wasteland 2 to be. Other people can want the opposite of what I want and they aren't wrong to do so.
The swearing, however, is a sticking point, a reoccurring failure of creativity and talent and suitability for it's audience.

1. The Good: Things you' d want to see again in Wasteland 3?
There's a pink unicorn armor in Doom, I think that WL3 can stand to have an optional thing like the 3 Amigos outfits from wl2. (and The 3 Amigos). I don't know what would be good for Colorado, but there's a long list of people, cults, and desperation to be explored.

2. The Bad: Things that you would slightly dislike to have in Wasteland 3?
The death of Sargent Persad was too "Death, death, death, or death?" I'd leveled up a character since the start and gave them first aid skill to use the first aid option, and it basically said "nope, she'd dead. (euthanize)". I'm not a believer in a no win scenario, and really? The game supports that. "You have a gouged eye, a broken leg, and a dozen bullets in you. Use this nail kit and you'll be fine." But hey, I get that we have to move the story along.
User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10163
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Drool »

Mole204 wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 9:26 pm
Not everyone can or should have witty repartee in their back pocket.
Then why even HAVE words in the game?
They can and should when the WRITERS of the game are so far INSTEAD using the lowest, laziest, and least entertaining words they can.
Got it. You don't want everyone to sound the same with swearing.

You want everyone to sound the same without swearing. Shall they all use RP as well?
Alwa nasci korliri das.
User avatar
Mole204
Explorer
Posts: 353
Joined: May 6th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Mole204 »

Drool wrote: April 24th, 2020, 2:50 pm
Mole204 wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 9:26 pm
Not everyone can or should have witty repartee in their back pocket.
Then why even HAVE words in the game?
They can and should when the WRITERS of the game are so far INSTEAD using the lowest, laziest, and least entertaining words they can.
Got it. You don't want everyone to sound the same with swearing.

You want everyone to sound the same without swearing. Shall they all use RP as well?
RP. Term unknown. Roleplaying does not fit. Reprint? Reputation points?

About the swearing, it makes the game look like someone's avoiding doing their work, and it makes the game look worse. Really, all the swearing, it should be redone. It drags down the game. It's not fun. It's not interesting. There's no way that removing the swearing makes everyone sound the same. If that's true to you then that's a failure of imagination- yours or the game's creators. Though that's really a past-tense sentence. How does wanting better lines in the dialogue instead of worse language mean having things sound the same? Don't make me look up fish puns, man. The Patriarch is quite quotable, and I hope he stays that way. (What's the matter, couldn't get Ron Perlman on the phone?) Jared Doresey can still be a lunatic. Victory Buchanan can still be a crack addict. Fishface can still be a jerk. Clean language does not mean not horrible.
User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10163
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Drool »

Received Pronunciation.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
User avatar
Mole204
Explorer
Posts: 353
Joined: May 6th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Mole204 »

"Received Pronunciation, commonly called BBC English and Standard British pronunciation or Southern British pronunciation, is an accent of Standard English in the United Kingdom ..."
Ah, british accent. I wouldn't object to "Hold my crumpet while I load the chavs onto the catapult." I just think that brit accents for villains is overdone. Typical american anti-intellectualism. Blackadder was quite good, though.
But consider that the game may be sold to people who aren't drunk as a hobby.
If I wanted everyone to sound the same, I'd be asking for the removal of the voice for "the guy who was doing the talking in the corner where those guys were looting bodies." He doesn't sound the same as everyone else, and I think it fits as a one-off encounter. I just think that profanity has no place in Wl and have made my case repeatedly. The programmers can do better, and should.
User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10163
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Drool »

Mole204 wrote: May 6th, 2020, 1:00 am "Received Pronunciation, commonly called BBC English and Standard British pronunciation or Southern British pronunciation, is an accent of Standard English in the United Kingdom ..."
Ah, british accent. I wouldn't object to "Hold my crumpet while I load the chavs onto the catapult." I just think that brit accents for villains is overdone. Typical american anti-intellectualism. Blackadder was quite good, though.
But consider that the game may be sold to people who aren't drunk as a hobby.
I don't think you could have missed the point more if you had a roadmap and a Sherpa.
If I wanted everyone to sound the same, I'd be asking for the removal of the voice for "the guy who was doing the talking in the corner where those guys were looting bodies." He doesn't sound the same as everyone else, and I think it fits as a one-off encounter. I just think that profanity has no place in Wl and have made my case repeatedly. The programmers can do better, and should.
Except vulgarity is one of the ways people sound different, and you seem unwilling to admit that this is the case. Do... do you think swearing only exists in media?
Alwa nasci korliri das.
User avatar
Mole204
Explorer
Posts: 353
Joined: May 6th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Mole204 »

Except vulgarity is one of the ways people sound different, and you seem unwilling to admit that this is the case.
Vulgarity may sound different, but different doesn't always mean good. No, I'd like it if the game creators just kept the swearing out of the finished game. That they use their brains and think up something clean, but would still get across whatever it is they wanted to convey. Freedom to swear isn't the same as freedom from expecting a minimum level of competence. You want different? Think up something different.
A Converse-sized dent in the intestine. You Serpoid loving toaster stuffer. You Trash Slithering robot sniffer. That wasn't a fine artesian well that came out the other end. Reference the musical The Fabulous Dorseys from 1947.
If it wasn't Wasteland 3 I'd give it a hard pass because this sort of shoddy work isn't worth my time or money. If they were to complete their jobs and edit out the lazy swearing, it would be a better product. Not just one that I want to entertain me. No, it needs to be a better product. The combat's OK. The levels are OK, as far as I can tell from the demo and the info updates. The main story and missions seem OK. But the swearing? Why is that in there at all? They can do better. Anyone can do better on that one topic. But since someone would have to put their coffee down and use their brain, they just won't. But you should not just let them feign their work.
User avatar
Gizmo
Grandmaster
Posts: 3855
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 6:25 am

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Gizmo »

Mole204 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 9:44 pm No, I'd like it if the game creators just kept the swearing out of the finished game. That they use their brains and think up something clean, but would still get across whatever it is they wanted to convey.
Given the setting, this is ridiculous; this is not Downton Abbey, or Dr. Seuss; this is a nearly lawless post apocalyptic setting. Real people often shout expletives when they stub their toe, let alone when they threaten, intimidate, are shot at, or are planning the shoot back.

This was actually the fear years ago, that Bethesda would make a Teen rated Fallout sequel, in line with Oblivion; they half-way did. :cry:
User avatar
Gizmo
Grandmaster
Posts: 3855
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 6:25 am

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Gizmo »

What...FO3? Hell no. Image
User avatar
Mole204
Explorer
Posts: 353
Joined: May 6th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Mole204 »

Real people often shout expletives when they stub their toe, let alone when they threaten, intimidate, are shot at, or are planning the shoot back.
You're not just forgetting, you're _ignoring_, that there are other options available, not just swearing.
Being clever, for one.
And there's nothing intimidating about swearing. It doesn't establish dominance, it establishes lack of restraint. Which one is likely to break first, and should be quietly done away with.
We don't need swearing, we need references to Glow Angels, to the fish punster who's never eaten a fish in Colorado of all places, to searching the mountains looking for the Colorado national monument, to a hint of what Victory the mad duet-sings on Tuesdays with granite paperweights.

I'm not saying remove every damn or crap, just the actual swearing. Wl1 had a nice skip approach to hookers. There wasn't any bodies in wl1, but 2 and 3 sure had some- until you leave-enter refresh the map. Nothing wrong there, though some of the blood effects get out of control. Why don't you try thinking up some suitable one-liners that don't involve the repetitive swearing that you carelessly want to let through?
No one quotes (the exact swear word doesn't matter) from Evil Dead. They quote "This is my Boomstick!"
User avatar
Gizmo
Grandmaster
Posts: 3855
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 6:25 am

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Gizmo »

Mole204 wrote: May 17th, 2020, 2:21 am
Real people often shout expletives when they stub their toe, let alone when they threaten, intimidate, are shot at, or are planning the shoot back.
You're not just forgetting, you're _ignoring_, that there are other options available, not just swearing.
Being clever, for one.
I have seen people (even kids under 10) curse in front of parents and/or employers—without even realizing it; some people (read this as some personalities) simply don't have a filter. Also some people are not clever; can't BE clever.... and are out of character if shown to be clever.

Swearing is not appropriate for all, or in all situations, but neither is being careful, articulate, or spouting witty triple meaning comments. Some people don't even speak with the same vernacular and mannerisms among different groups their own friends and acquaintances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1JWzyvv8A

And there's nothing intimidating about swearing. It doesn't establish dominance, it establishes lack of restraint. Which one is likely to break first, and should be quietly done away with.
You are wrong. Even though I agree with what you have said, the effect is different upon different people, and depending on the situation (both from the speaker, and for the listener).

I [too?] consider the first one who resorts to name calling and derisive aspersion, as being the one who just lost the argument, but we are discussing interpersonal dramatic/action dialog in a story. The characters are not performing on stage for an audience, not going to waste a clever comment (for the player/viewer) on someone —another character who they know wont understand or appreciate it... unless it's for their own perverse or indulgent (or frustrated) amusement.

Can you envision every social situation in the film ROBOCOP (all violence put aside) as having G rated dialog? Would some of those characters even BE those characters anymore?

Swearing for swearing sake is a dialog crutch, but having no swearing at all, where swearing is expected, and especially where not swearing is less effective, less impactfull, or a is lot more work than the situation is worth (or has time allotted)... it's just not in line with reality, and this doesn't go unnoticed. When someone drops a brick on someone else, that person does not shout, "Oh deary me, what have you done! I am feeling intense pain in my foot! I think it's fractured!".

Fallout had a violence filter, and a language filter. Why not put the same in Wasteland 3? Because it's voiced is why, but in the era of 40 gigabyte games... space on the media is no longer a reasonable excuse, and I think the recording sessions can include a few alternate lines for those players whose sensibilities won't tolerate a potty mouth. :mrgreen:

*In the case of Wasteland, they could get away with actual dialog bleeping. :lol:
User avatar
Mole204
Explorer
Posts: 353
Joined: May 6th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Mole204 »

Can you envision every social situation in the film ROBOCOP (all violence put aside) as having G rated dialog? Would some of those characters even BE those characters anymore?
Yes. Sorry for the late reply. And I liked the Prime Directive movies. No swearing in that live RC tv series. The car ad that Rc2 started with was great. There's a lot of shouting in the various RC movies. "Shoot him in the mouth!" "Are you war wacky?!" "You have 10 seconds to comply.""Isn't this a school day?" No swearing there. Crackheads can act unstable without swearing. Every one of Boddiker's lines could have been without profanity. I would allow "Bitches, leave." if you're wondering.
That "Oh deary me,-" etc does sound like something Boddiker would say to a man he's feeding to a metal press. :) Like I've tried to explain, profanity isn't needed, and is a cover-up for a lack of talent in writing.
In any way that matters, the characters _are_ performing on stage for the buying audience.
Bleeping might work in a few cases. Bullet impact noises, for example.
Which was more "a draw in" to the audience? The action and violence, the character journey and the dystopia, or the swearing?
Swearing is not appropriate for all, or in all situations, but neither is being careful, articulate, or spouting witty triple meaning comments.
Even though this thread has become me reading Miranda to a corpse, if a writer's task is to come up with a response frame that is the opposite to careful and articulate, but can only come up with swearing, then he is not doing his job. It may be unique to the situation, or seem to, but objectionable language is only a concession to a lack of wit, not the suitable choice.

It's too bad that there's no debate over the cybernetic chicken, or the murder clown with the grinder, or the still we got with the space shuttle, or what's behind the door in the base's medical room. What sort of things have happened at NORAD? The Patriarch's super-weapon vault turning out to be full of Red Ryder BB guns? Or comic book ad send-aways, like the cardboard tank, or the child's cowboy sparking-gun. Is there no exploration where all the food is coming from? It's a long way from AgCent, and those solar greenhouse boxes don't look able to feed all of Colorado. Or yes- what would be the best way to have the Serpoids, or other wl1 paragraph book material in wl3. What would you like to see in a wl3 paragraph book? A Colorado travel brochure written on to be full of warnings, and maps, and snark?

"Well, don't yell at _me_."
"Well don't screw up then."
User avatar
Gizmo
Grandmaster
Posts: 3855
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 6:25 am

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Gizmo »

Mole204 wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 9:00 pmEvery one of Boddiker's lines could have been without profanity.
Actually I was thinking of Dick Jones and Bob Morton's parts; you are right about Boddiker, but he was truly evil, a possibly able to enjoy hurting (more) with clean language than the expected profanity.
I would allow "Bitches, leave." if you're wondering.
I did wonder. ;)
That "Oh deary me,-" etc does sound like something Boddiker would say to a man he's feeding to a metal press. :)
Except in the quote, I meant the person in pain; the one with the crushed foot.
Like I've tried to explain, profanity isn't needed, and is a cover-up for a lack of talent in writing.
...
Even though this thread has become me reading Miranda to a corpse, if a writer's task is to come up with a response frame that is the opposite to careful and articulate, but can only come up with swearing, then he is not doing his job. It may be unique to the situation, or seem to, but objectionable language is only a concession to a lack of wit, not the suitable choice.
Well I have to disagree. Now I am not someone who swears in public—ever, but I have encountered good comedy that was (deliberately) made better for the clever profanity; so I will attest that it is definitely not an reliable sign for lack of talent. ;) But as I said before, in character writing, some characters will swear, some simply know no better, while others simply enjoy it; and the rest use it for intensity sake. It can make them believable.

We agree that dialog full of mindless cursing for sake of hoping that teens will think it's cool, or as you have said, for lack of talent... is generally unpleasant to sit through, but there IS a place for it in skilled hands, and it affects credibility of the dialog when it's missing. Some characters will use profanity to hide fear, and to seem in control; a sham to hopefully fool nearby friends, or enemies. The writer likely expects some of the audience to catch the meaning, and be aware of it.

What I am saying is that there are indeed many puerile examples of badly used foul language in stories, but that profanity in and of itself does not indicate a hack writer.
User avatar
Mole204
Explorer
Posts: 353
Joined: May 6th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Mole204 »

So, I've been catching up on the Inexile videos.

"We wanted to keep the crunchy, really satisfying elements of a turn based game and we wanted that to carry over into wasteland 3. And we also wanted to remove a lot of the elements that just weren't fun."
around 5:20 Dev Diary #1
What makes you think that the swearing would be entertaining? Because entertainment is what you're selling here. Why swearing? Do some double-entendre, crack a joke, say something about something else that's gone on in Arizona. You have all this stuff, all this worldbuilding done and open to do, and the gamedevs are wasting their chances to do something interesting or amusing. Wasting their chance with every swear word they idiotically, stupidly and lazily put into the game. It's not something limited to Wasteland, or limited to InXile. But I see no reason to just wait for the game to come out and _then_ complain about the errors I saw being put into the game. That would be stupid of me.

Custom portraits, eh? I wanted that since before wl2 hit the shelves. Since there's no character porting from wl2, I guess I'll have to start collecting pics. Hmm, which David Carradine character to choose?

Animal companions! Polar bears and deer get to join the team! AKA "Aww, lookit her widdle claws! They shouldn't be coming out of her face like that, but so cute!"
I really want a "idle" feature or some other sort of reassign feature to keep Major Tom at the base instead of having to choose if I want to Forever Dismiss, or keep him on the team when they go off to get nearly all killed.

"Official support for Windows 7 ended in January, and we ended support at the same time."
I use w7, and will not change it to Win10 just because some suit wants to sell a new version. I'll do without the unnecessary programs needed before getting the unnecessary OS I'm "told" I need but don't. Microsoft peaked at Windows XP. Them getting into game design is a better usage of their time than making another Windows that no-body needs.

The Gippers, Liberty, and the giant robot Regan all look good so far. Looking forward to trying to survive the space shuttle graveyard. In the beta, it's hard to survive a 5 man ambush. I'm going to have to do a lot of leveling if I want to survive an entire parking lot full of clowns.

-
I just saw Robocop 2014. Forgot it existed, until it came up in the thread. It was a little softer then the first one. No clear dystopia, urban decay, existentialism, threat or cause antagonist. What it really needed was a sequel because it sure wasted time on the setup. It was like the first act took up the first hour of the 2 hour movie. Everything looked a little Tron, a little BG Cylon. It just suffered a lack of action. The Judge Dredd movie with Karl Urban was better. At least wl3 looks to have enough action.
User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10163
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Drool »

Mole204 wrote: July 13th, 2020, 2:45 amCustom portraits, eh? I wanted that since before wl2 hit the shelves. Since there's no character porting from wl2
WL2 had custom portraits. Or, at least, the Director's Cut did.
I use w7, and will not change it to Win10 just because some suit wants to sell a new version. I'll do without the unnecessary programs needed before getting the unnecessary OS I'm "told" I need but don't.
That is certainly your choice. However, as time goes on, fewer and fewer games and programs will be able to work with Windows 7, and various exploits and bugs will remain unfixed and unpatched, opening you up to possible infection.

Also, it's a little disingenuous to say that Windows 10 was "just because some suits wants to sell a new version" when Microsoft gave everyone about a year to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
Alwa nasci korliri das.
User avatar
Mole204
Explorer
Posts: 353
Joined: May 6th, 2013, 3:17 pm

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Mole204 »

Drool wrote: July 13th, 2020, 1:51 pm Also, it's a little disingenuous to say that Windows 10 was "just because some suits wants to sell a new version" when Microsoft gave everyone about a year to upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
That may seem true, Drool, but only through programs that identify the OS and are programmed to go on the fritz if it isn't Win10. Look at it objectively- there's nothing that Win10 does that Win7 or 8 can't or couldn't do. Even the creation of new file types should only require a route command to a program that can handle it, or at worst a new video codex or text program. There's a point when a thing's finished, and that's been passed. Now they're just screwing around because everyone thinks Microsoft equals Windows. Therefore if they aren't releasing more Windows, why invest in Microsoft? There's always problems when a flagship product becomes a legacy product that's unnecessary. Bloatware, spyware, and "Your program is no longer valid because we've got a new one to sell." just bugs me.

Of course this opinion doesn't seem to cover the XBoxes and whatever OS they use. Different machine, different use. With Wl3 coming out soon! For pc as well. A month and a half, we're told, not counting bugfixes.
Post Reply

Return to “Wasteland 3: General Discussion”