Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Drool » September 21st, 2019, 1:34 pm

Mole204 wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 7:36 pm
The combat looks the same as WL2, so I guess there's no need to make any changes there.
There's some minor changes to combat, specifically to Precision shots.
A save function would be useful. For those of us who may often have to guess wrong how long it will take and have to leave Now.
...it has one?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Mole204
Explorer

Post by Mole204 » September 23rd, 2019, 12:40 am

Drool wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 1:34 pm
Mole204 wrote:
The combat looks the same as WL2, so I guess there's no need to make any changes there.
There's some minor changes to combat, specifically to Precision shots.
I can see precision shot coming back to bite us, as there's likely going to be things like "goon is immortal unless you headshot him repeatedly, and you Must bring the X ammo" and "xbox players love taking their time setting up leisurely p. shots very slowly", etc. And it's just a big step away from what Wasteland was and WL's combat system was. It's clearly a development meant for the xbox players and the way they're used to doing things (like a scrub). What's the point of most of that? I don't see that as solely a reason to think that p.s. is a bad thing, it's just that Wasteland isn't the sort of shooting gallery game like Gears of War, Halo, and the imitator horde of those trying to join the action genre. WL is a hit point based enemies game.
A save function would be useful. For those of us who may often have to guess wrong how long it will take and have to leave Now.
...it has one?
[/quote]
Good, I'll want to give that a few try-outs when the full game is released.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 23rd, 2019, 1:47 pm

Mole204 wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 12:40 am
I can see precision shot coming back to bite us, as there's likely going to be things like "goon is immortal unless you headshot him repeatedly, and you Must bring the X ammo"
I don't know why you would expect this. Precision shots existed in the Director's Cut, they've simply changed how they're activated and seem to have made them guaranteed hits.
and "xbox players love taking their time setting up leisurely p. shots very slowly", etc.
What?
And it's just a big step away from what Wasteland was and WL's combat system was.
Yeah, that ship sailed with the last game. WL3's combat is just a lateral move from WL2:DC.
It's clearly a development meant for the xbox players and the way they're used to doing things (like a scrub).
That's some pretty PC Master Race nonsense from someone with a refurbished business computer...
that Wasteland isn't the sort of shooting gallery game like Gears of War, Halo, and the imitator horde of those trying to join the action genre. WL is a hit point based enemies game.
What are you going on about? What in WL3 makes you think it's in any way similar to a third or first person shooter?
...it has one?
Good, I'll want to give that a few try-outs when the full game is released.
Um... yes. I should think so.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Post by fuzzyballs01 » September 25th, 2019, 3:58 am

Mole204 wrote:
the one about the random encounter combat maps don't have to be as large and hard to find the way out of.
not surprised you of all people had a hard time finding a huge ranger star that signifies the exit on a small map

and precision shots better have some use beyond instakills
I want to hobble a meaty meelee enemy's leg so he can't get to me before I riddle his hairy ass with bullets until a permanent nap ensues, ya dig?
that also means giving us big meaty meelee enemies that can take a punch, otherwise I'm not wasting my turn on slowing something down I can kill easily anyways
and headshots shouldn't be instakills anyways, one from a variety of debuffs for every bodypart is better
higher damage? sure, instant death? no
or maybe you need a shot or two to take the helmet off and then an insta kill headshot?

Mole204
Explorer

Post by Mole204 » September 29th, 2019, 10:23 pm

Drool wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 1:47 pm
And it's just a big step away from what Wasteland was and WL's combat system was.
Yeah, that ship sailed with the last game. WL3's combat is just a lateral move from WL2:DC.
That, I can work with. Adding things that would screw up simple combat just for it's own sake, I think I can be allowed suspicion.
It's clearly a development meant for the xbox players and the way they're used to doing things (like a scrub).
That's some pretty PC Master Race nonsense from someone with a refurbished business computer...
PC Master Race? You expect me to use a console? Like a peasant? As for a retail computer, yeah, I put some faith in Underwriters Laboratory. It'd be fun to warm up the soldering iron and breadboard a MB myself to a schematic (and be making swaps all the way through), but it's not been _factory certified_, y'know?
I just think I should point out that "retail box" are what 99% of the customer base is going to be using, be it PC, or xbox.
If you think that wl3 will work for everyone because 1) you/developer have X, or 2) it might have been made by a dozen people working on X, then there's gonna be compatibility problems with many of customer's gamerigs. Developers often suffer a bit of narrow vision about that.
x= High-end, overly expensive, department-brew OS or some various combination of those.
What are you going on about? What in WL3 makes you think it's in any way similar to a third or first person shooter?
That depends on how fast they're going to run the standard fight's events, mostly in relation to the Target The Part function. Call it a lack of trust over the matter of promising a pc game and delivering an xbox game. Look how different wl2 is from wl1. Understandable changes, they did a lot of good game creation, but wl3 needs a bit more entertaining impact than wl2- and Fortnite.
not surprised you of all people had a hard time finding a huge ranger star that signifies the exit on a small map
The part we disagree on here is the meaning of "a small map."
I want to hobble a meaty meelee enemy's leg
Sure, if it's _just_ hobbling the enemy, and not some convoluted "enemy can only be de-helmeted by ammo=NATO 7.3" (not available at this time), "enemy can only be limbshot by ammo=hollowpoint #3" (not available at this time). etc etc.
or maybe you need a shot or two to take the helmet off and then an insta kill headshot?
Now I'm wondering how close they can get a near-Frederico to do the Thunderdome fight from that Mad Max movie.
---
A proper game creator would want his game to be fun, accessible to all, popular and a bit addictive. The swearing is too jarring and just stupid. Can't they do better than that?
So far they've shown swearing in 2 out of 3 main encounters. Fishface, Scotchmo, and Victory. Frederico is too short and unimportant to count, though I like him.
If they have not put swearing in anywhere else in the game, I'd just call it even. You got the setting you want, the pathetic ratings grabbing-at, and enough idiots with prison tattoos to the face, to appease your predicted edgelord percentage. Just because it's post-apoc doesn't make the swearing be the only thing you should think of to put in the game. Two encounters in a 40 hour estimate aught to be enough. Let the rest of the payers ear time be taken up by gunfire and inventive lunacy.
Last edited by Mole204 on September 30th, 2019, 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 30th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Mole204 wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 10:23 pm
As for a retail computer, yeah, I put some faith in Underwriters Laboratory.
As UL just makes sure it won't burn your house down, I'm not sure why you're going to them for computer advise.
It'd be fun to warm up the soldering iron and breadboard a MB myself to a schematic (and be making swaps all the way through), but it's not been _factory certified_, y'know?
...or just buy one on Amazon, Mr. Excluded Middle.
I just think I should point out that "retail box" are what 99% of the customer base is going to be using, be it PC, or xbox.
99% of the customer base doesn't talk about Console Peasants.
If you think that wl3 will work for everyone because 1) you/developer have X, or 2) it might have been made by a dozen people working on X, then there's gonna be compatibility problems with many of customer's gamerigs.
No, I think it's going to work with the bulk of computers less than 8 years old as Unity isn't the most demanding engine out there. It may not work well, but it should be passable. Again, the biggest issue you've been having is because you're using integrated video.
department-brew OS
...what?
Look how different wl2 is from wl2
Deep, man.
A proper game creator would want his game to be fun, accessible to all, popular and a bit addictive. The swearing is too jarring and just stupid.
To you. You and Jack Thompson are pretty much the only people who care about this.
Two encounters in a 40 hour estimate aught to be enough. Let the rest of the payers ear time be taken up by gunfire and inventive lunacy.
Even the crazy old biddies at the MPAA allow two swears per two hour movie.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 1st, 2019, 12:03 am

Mole204 wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 10:23 pm
Drool wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 1:47 pm
PC Master Race? You expect me to use a console? Like a peasant? As for a retail computer, yeah, I put some faith in Underwriters Laboratory. It'd be fun to warm up the soldering iron and breadboard a MB myself to a schematic (and be making swaps all the way through), but it's not been _factory certified_, y'know?
If you think that wl3 will work for everyone because 1) you/developer have X, or 2) it might have been made by a dozen people working on X, then there's gonna be compatibility problems with many of customer's gamerigs. Developers often suffer a bit of narrow vision about that.
x= High-end, overly expensive, department-brew OS or some various combination of those.
Refurbished business computer does not equal retail box.

The Steam Hardware Survey below is probably one of the best samples of PC usage you will ever get.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

73% of users are on Win 10 64 bit - 91% Win 10 in general
70% Ram - 8 - 16 gb
52% have 4 CPUs 76% have 2-4 and 93% have 2-6
50% have a Nvidia Gefore GTX 1050 or Higher
18% have 4 gb Video Ram, 36% have 2-4 gb and 67% have 2-8 gb
62% have a resolution of 1920 x1080
75% of multimonitor setups have 3840 x1080
48% have between 100 and 499gb free hard drive space
50% have more than 1TB total hard drive space

Pretty sure InXile have access to these details...
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Post by fuzzyballs01 » October 1st, 2019, 9:34 am

has anyone played Division 2 on release with a Logitech headset? the sound was extremele bugged for almost a month until they fixed it, I couldn't talk to my friends with my mic until we were halfway through the game
you'd think a AAA company would actually release a game that works with one of the major brand of headsets, right?
and that's what betas are for anyways, you let people play it, collect system info, fix bugs

and swearing doesn't matter, swearing is preferable over some bad guy who pretends he's learned by being eloquent, raving madman is a lot more fun (and that's an opinion)
I'm also someone who assumes people pull percentages out of their ass