Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Mole204
Scholar

Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Mole204 » June 3rd, 2018, 11:28 pm

My WL3 construction checklist-
-Remove swearing, use creativity instead. You're making a product, not disappointment.
-A paragraph book.
-NORAD. There's been so many Stargate attempts that I'm sure a SG1 base could be bought cheap, since the prog's keep calling sprites "assets"
-Downgrading ram usage, like snow. "This thing has no use, let's just turn it off."

>I'm also curious about what you value most
A good RPG to start with. The quality of game-enjoyment is dependent on the quality of the game.
It needs to be entertaining. I've been thinking about Dragon Wars and how I enjoyed it.
>Do you pick things based more on humor and personality?
I see that they just made a new Decent, and you know what I liked most about the first game? The snark. The quiet little string of cutting retorts internally-said by the player's avatar. Drop swearing, make it entertaining. Really tear a strip off someone.
"I suppose if they were any more encouraging, they'd be shooting me right now."

>and what you're most likely to pick when playing an RPG.
DND- Wizard. High INT, low STR, a dagger and a staff that blows things up. Brains over brawn, even when playing brawn.
CIV- Victory through sleaze. Player 2: "Oh! My capital exploded! WHO could have DONE such a thing!"
Player 1 "I'll just seize these and use them to take over your ruined kingdom."
Wasteland 2- Guns and how to mod them. Bots and how to hack them. It's enough to make me miss being trapped in Cochise Base.
Wasteland 1- Brawling because eventually it all comes down to the guy with the ax.

I'm an "empire builder" player. In wl2, it came down to going out and killing randoms to take their stuff to buy good stuff to use in the main mission. So that involved combat skills. By which I mean the plasma rifle, the proton ax, Lex and two medics. Bushwhack robots and take their stuff.
So I tend to look for anything that can reveal more of the dialogue, more of the map, more of the items. Play the percentages, tilt the math in my favour. So therefore, I tend to buff the traits that get the results I like. Can I see landmines? Can I find loot? Can I steamroller a bunch of foes? Because in WL2, like 1, it always came down to the guy with the superweapon, and his team that's just there to back him up with numbers.
Or did they mean favorite quirks as in "let's make amusing insanity detriments like the guy who's afraid of lemons, or the guy who's knock-out-allergic to celery."

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Quirks and traits

Post by Drool » June 4th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Mole204 wrote:
June 3rd, 2018, 11:28 pm
-A paragraph book.
Yeah, no.

I'm not getting a physical copy, and I'm not going to print out a 30-50 page paragraph book so I can play the game. We aren't trying to fit a game into 38911 bytes of memory or onto a 1.44 megabyte floppy any more.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 4th, 2018, 11:46 pm

Drool wrote:
June 4th, 2018, 3:38 pm
Mole204 wrote:
-A paragraph book.
Yeah, no.

I'm not getting a physical copy, and I'm not going to print out a 30-50 page paragraph book so I can play the game. We aren't trying to fit a game into 38911 bytes of memory or onto a 1.44 megabyte floppy any more.
It's not the point to be practical about it; it is about having it because the others did, and it was part & parcel in the series. When I play mods for FRUA (or Dungeoncraft), I'd appreciate the effort to include a player Journal (PDF) in the same style as the original series of GB games. You don't think WL2 & 3 shouldn't have each had a Ranger's journal, complete with bogus (but fun to have written) subplot passages shuffled in with the real ones?

Besides, these days it can be incorporated into the game; or even displayed in a PDF reader on a second monitor.

*BTW I hope that they keep the 6502 floppy interface from WL2; that was pretty unique. 8-)

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » June 5th, 2018, 12:31 am

Drool wrote:
June 4th, 2018, 3:38 pm
Mole204 wrote:
-A paragraph book.
Yeah, no. [mole204:yes or no- make up your mind which one you want to reply with]
I scrolled too much and grabbed up that paragraph with the rest of the post, and then didn't delete it.
Guys, we've had that discussion (which the programmers have yet to truly weigh in on). They can write it up in an hour or two.
You can have a paragraph book that's a PDF, not real-world paper. You can include a PDF in a bonus folder on a dvd. As in put a X-box dvd in a dvd/cd-rom/whatever the most common pc cd drive is. It's been done before with dvds. Wl3 is a 1 cd game, right? There's nothing to prevent it from being accessible by the game menu either. Anyway a pdf would only be a few megabytes. 10 megs? (checking my folders a 50 page cyberpunk rpg book was 10.9 megs and it included illustrations that wouldn't be needed in a paragraph book.) It wouldn't even have to be needed in the same style as the "Read Paragraph 31" stuff in wl1 was. Just a long scroll of short paragraphs that offer clues, looks ahead, background information, wall-safe codes, and lots and LOTS of flat out lying. The rest of the folder could just as well be filled out with (clean) vocal track outtakes, colouring pages, whatever stuff would toss into the remaining room on the dvd. There's ALWAYS room left on a dvd now. And there's ALWAYS stuff that gets cut for little reason. Looking over the Fig page, there's a second cd- a soundtrack cd. Usually those are perfect for bonus content. Lots of dead room on those, often only half filled.
That all doesn't have much to do with traits and quirks, but a paragraph book might count as discussing special content that causes radical changes. (like paranoia. Or Serpoids. We NEED Serpoids in wl3!)
Come to think of it, checking some other things shows that 3d printing zips can go for 1 to 20 megabytes each. (Marvin_the_Martian_Ray_Gun 4.9 megs) What 3d printable special content would -you- like? A little toy vehicle? One of the wl3 robots that we don't know anything about right now? A wl1 style icon-man? The wl2 crab car? (which should appear in wl3 since it was cut from wl2.) Hey, there's another trait quirk- allergic to shellfish that just punched you with a hubcap! The dog tags and keychain are likely 'taken' as real, metal ones were part of the upper backer bonuses, as was the Night Terror plushie.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 5th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Mole204 wrote:
June 5th, 2018, 12:31 am
It wouldn't even have to be needed in the same style as the "Read Paragraph 31" stuff in wl1 was. Just a long scroll of short paragraphs that offer clues, looks ahead, background information, wall-safe codes, and lots and LOTS of flat out lying.
Or, now hang on because this is a crazy idea, they could put all that stuff in the game itself.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » June 5th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Drool wrote:
June 5th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Or, now hang on because this is a crazy idea, they could put all that stuff in the game itself.
Oh they could! But they won't. not all, not all that work to put all that stuff. Remember the backstory for The Provost? It got cut. That could go into the paragraph book. Remember the Crab Cars? The monsters who got cut? Whip up a paragraph about them attacking. Add memorable one-liners from meetings. Lies, bragging, stories about strange things done to the coffee maker. Shouts about wl1 characters. A tweet from Brian Fargo about creating Wl1. The Patriarch doing the Pepperidge Farm Remembers commercial. The impressions of walking around in, for example, the Suicide Hotel. Or useless instructions for that big flaming wheel generator thing. Or information about wl3's version of wl2's Big Red Button. etc.
The paragraph book also functions as a place to put ideas that just don't, can't, or won't go into the game itself. Why waste a good idea?
(aww, who moved this thing?! one little copy paste error... no-one's going to care. Now I gotta try to defend the ideas the thread is accidentally built on. It shouldn't be so short, but I don't have a clear enough idea of wl3 is going to be like- or is going to lack. I can't correct for what common sense says to put in but X doesn't because: no, I don't know the reason. Why don't we have a smiley for 'facepalm?')

Grohal
Master

Re: Mole204's Wasteland 3 Construction Checklist

Post by Grohal » June 6th, 2018, 2:55 am

While I agree overall that not all information should lead straight to what was asked for but also to dead ends or some ambushes, I would like to see that IN the game. Not everyone wants to see the rangers succeed and that should be seen ingame.
I see no need for an old copy protection revival, no matter how original it was 30 years ago.
Not that it would bother me IF they did something like that of course.

Optimising the graphics/RAM-use/technical advancement generell - yeah, sure. While I never had any big problems (not even in Beta), it was not the best performance from what I heard.

Swearing - oh that again. Yeah, well as always my opinion on that stays firm:
People who want to maim and kill you are more likely to scream "DIE MOTHERF****ER" in your face while swinging, stabbing, shooting at you and not "Sorry good sir. But your time has come to an end, ironically from the end of my gunbarrel." or other such nonsense. May not be original, but killing and maiming other people is not something that is done calmly and polite. Quite the opposite: people doing it are usually highly aroused, if they are not psychopaths or professionals. Screaming and cursing lets off some of that steam of the fundamental wrongness to kill other people.
Sorry, it simply does NOT fit into a postapocalyptic setting that no one is swearing. Was nice with the Mannerites, but they were freaks and one of a kind. I don't need THAT all over the place.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » June 7th, 2018, 1:53 pm

I admit that that's part of the preference of villains. If I want to be attacked by a pack of animals, I don't want some club punk trash- I'd turn it up all the way to werewolves. Your dialogue would be a good "And now I must kill you" speech from the local steampunk killers. You're threatened by some drugged up freak? Not threatening enough! Get a cool, memorable killer who can be sinister instead of being target practice. So that you can die with dignity.
It's as much _what_ they're saying as _why_ they're saying what they're saying. There is no reason to add any swearing to anything, especially not WL3. It's unnecessary. It without a use or purpose. You say they're likely to yell- but that's just it, why would the yelling be swearing? There'd be as many "Blood for the Blood God's" as there would be vague directions to "Tear him apart." And none of it the various swearing. It's not good enough for a computer game. It's not entertaining. It's not memorable. It's not even a distraction: it's just noise. And it should be something better. "Steal his teeth!" from wl2 is a good one. We should ask for more like that.
-
"Hangin's too good for him. Burnin's too good for 'im. He should be torn into little bitty pieces and buried alive!" -Heavy Metal.

What we know so far:
The swearing- Is it enough?
We've seen the demo clip with Fishlips in it, and his dialogue was peppered with profanity.
The presence of swearing is enough to bump up the rating. As Wl3 is trying to get a certain rating level, like how movies try to play the system, is that enough to achieve the goal? Is more swearing outside of that scene redundant? Useless?

But let's not get bogged down on the swearing errors!
Don't just stand there, release the badly trained bloodthirsty chow-mane noodles!
OK! Here's what we know so far-
You will be driving a car.
You will be living in a car.
The car will talk to you.
It's a return to the nuclear winter scenario. So you might freeze to death in the car. Or starve, with the doors frozen shut.

synchronous and asynchronous multiplayer.
I'd have to wait and see how that turns out to see what that's like. It sounds like one of the multiplayer onlines. Therefore: has the decline and final days on that been pre-planned? City of heroes, shut down. The Matrix, shut down, etc.
It's good planning to have the last days plotted out, what to do to the players, what to do to the map, etc.

Colorado and places similar
Sure, we're going to be wandering around the woods awhile, but what about Colorado? We're likely to investigate at least one small ruined area, and with it the Nancies. But what about Cheyenne Mountain, home of NORAD? That is a place that has grown in popularity in the years since Wl2 was made (and with it, the dates set for things to happen). It's sure to get on the Must Bomb list for the Russians of the time, but it's removal is not a forgone conclusion. The Patriarch missions are sure to involve them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byTdfpFJVwA
answers a lot of questions. And raises more.

Serpoids-
Area 51 is in Nevada. That's the state west of Colorado, right? It's not likely we're going to go to Nevada. But given the bursts of super science in Wl1 (and the need for it's return due to it's lack in Wl2) what's to stop us from going there in Wl3? On the right map, Norad and 51 aren't in the same neighborhood. You'd have to go through more than the entirety of Utah (270 miles (435 km) wide) to get there. It's not a little commute to work, but it might be useful for one jet-car escape tunnel to take the secret leaders from Norad to the flying saucers when it all goes wrong.

Casual over-RAM
Let's take a look at what they're trying to do.
WL3 is aimed to run on Playstation 4, XBoxOne, and the PC.
PS4-
CPU- Semi-custom 8-core AMD x86-64 Jaguar 1.6 GHz CPU (integrated into APU)
RAM- 8 GB GDDR5
Hard drive, 500 GB.

Xbox
CPU- Original and S model: Custom 1.75 GHz AMD 8-core APU (2 quad-core Jaguar modules)
X model: Custom 2.3 GHz AMD 8-core APU (2 quad-core Evolved Jaguar modules)
RAM- Original and S model: 8 GB DDR3 (5 GB available to games)
X model: 12 GB GDDR5 (9 GB available to games
Hard drive- 500 GB to 2 TB.
So it looks like it should run on a 1.5 to 2 gigahertz cpu and about 7 or 8 gigs of ram.

This sounds like it should cause no problems for most pc's built after 2010. But while the Xbox and the PS are all factory lines, no two household's pcs are truly the same.
The PC version should be the same, but there's nothing wrong with few menu functions that give greater adaptability to run the program on all those different pc's.
Wl2 gave me a hard time. I'm hoping that Wl3 will run smoother.
Oh sure, visually WL3's great- IF it runs as flawlessly as the demo reel. Of course it won't. So there should be the ability to turn off annoyances like the snow, or flickering fire.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » June 7th, 2018, 11:44 pm

Mole204 wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 1:53 pm
<snip>
Casual over-RAM
Let's take a look at what they're trying to do.
WL3 is aimed to run on Playstation 4, XBoxOne, and the PC.
PS4-
CPU- Semi-custom 8-core AMD x86-64 Jaguar 1.6 GHz CPU (integrated into APU)
RAM- 8 GB GDDR5
Hard drive, 500 GB.

Xbox
CPU- Original and S model: Custom 1.75 GHz AMD 8-core APU (2 quad-core Jaguar modules)
X model: Custom 2.3 GHz AMD 8-core APU (2 quad-core Evolved Jaguar modules)
RAM- Original and S model: 8 GB DDR3 (5 GB available to games)
X model: 12 GB GDDR5 (9 GB available to games
Hard drive- 500 GB to 2 TB.
So it looks like it should run on a 1.5 to 2 gigahertz cpu and about 7 or 8 gigs of ram.

This sounds like it should cause no problems for most pc's built after 2010. But while the Xbox and the PS are all factory lines, no two household's pcs are truly the same.
The PC version should be the same, but there's nothing wrong with few menu functions that give greater adaptability to run the program on all those different pc's.
Oh sure, visually WL3's great- IF it runs as flawlessly as the demo reel. Of course it won't. So there should be the ability to turn off annoyances like the snow, or flickering fire.
Console vs PC is not as simple as raw power. Consoles do better over a longer period because they are defined. This allows developers to tweak and get more efficiencies out of them. The PC market on the other hand is filled with variables that make it difficult to define the hardware and software, this tends to result in systems that whilst better in raw numbers may not be making the full use of those raw numbers.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 8th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Woolfe wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 11:44 pm
whilst better in raw numbers may not be making the full use of those raw numbers.
Let's not go down that rabbit hole.
Mole204 wrote:
June 7th, 2018, 1:53 pm
It's as much _what_ they're saying as _why_ they're saying what they're saying. There is no reason to add any swearing to anything, especially not WL3.
Let's not go down this rabbit hole either.
Serpoids
Why on earth would a fake entry from 1 which was reinforced as being a fake entry in 2 suddenly become a real thing in 3? And the distance between Boulder, CO and Area 51 is 600 miles as the crow flies. At an extremely conservative estimate of $100 million per mile, that's an awfully expensive "jet-car escape tunnel".
WL3 will be using the exact same engine as 2. It'll probably run the same.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » June 10th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Drool wrote:
June 8th, 2018, 4:56 pm
Serpoids
Why on earth would a fake entry from 1 which was reinforced as being a fake entry in 2 suddenly become a real thing in 3? And the distance between Boulder, CO and Area 51 is 600 miles as the crow flies. At an extremely conservative estimate of $100 million per mile, that's an awfully expensive "jet-car escape tunnel".
Down the rabbit hole and other forms of insanity-
Do you really think that ALL 17,000 backers paid up front for a bunch of swearing, lackluster garbage? Where's the innovation, the amusement, the entertainment? Because that's not it.
If you remove swearing properly, no-one would ever notice. Some empty strip clubs, a lot of fights, a lot of good one-liners, and that's what they're there to see.
No, if Wl3 is trying for a more-adult rating, they should earn it.
Jet-tunnel- How that any stranger than anything else in WL1 or 2? How much does a nuclear bomb cost? Why would The Hidden Shadow Government care about a dollar figure? Especially when it's for an death-defying escape? "I'm worth more than my underlings." after all.
Fake entry- So? Wl3 should try to be more in-keeping with the lore of wl1. Now that wl2 has come and gone, we know there's a 3, and there might not be a 4. They should put it in the game while they can.

With Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 for xBox, how will that impact Wasteland? Will (or have) the devteam shied away from certain ideas "because that's taken"?

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » June 11th, 2018, 3:25 am

Your WL1 and my WL1 were clearly very different things....

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 11th, 2018, 1:54 pm

Mole204 wrote:
June 10th, 2018, 10:12 pm
Do you really think that ALL 17,000 backers paid up front for a bunch of swearing, lackluster garbage? Where's the innovation, the amusement, the entertainment? Because that's not it.
I wager the majority of those 17,000 don't care one way or the other. This is your obsession, nobody else's.
Fake entry- So? Wl3 should try to be more in-keeping with the lore of wl1.
...which means Serpioids aren't real. They aren't part of Wasteland lore any more than Redhawk having 30 wives was.
With Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 for xBox, how will that impact Wasteland? Will (or have) the devteam shied away from certain ideas "because that's taken"?
I doubt it has any impact at all.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » June 11th, 2018, 3:50 pm

Drool wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 1:54 pm
I wager the majority of those 17,000 don't care one way or the other. This is your obsession, nobody else's.
-
Quality, I simply want some quality. That a large amount don't care is part of my point. There aren't any for- just neutral or against the position. Toss the lousy under-preforming dialogue. Just pick it off like a spot of mold.
Fake entry- So? Wl3 should try to be more in-keeping with the lore of wl1.
...which means Serpioids aren't real. They aren't part of Wasteland lore any more than Redhawk having 30 wives was.[/quote]
What's real? Why not bring it in for wl3? I'm not asking for Serpoids as entrenched main-plot main-characters like something from V. It's clear that whatever was planned failed, so let's get go find out how bad it failed while there's still time! How much of a side mission was Level Lupe mine? Not even a big one like Damonta. Even when I was talking about the paragraph book, I was agreeing that just because it's a lie doesn't mean that it can't be included. Just because it's a line from the 1st game doesn't prevent it from being used in the 3rd game. Flying Saucers had to crash somewhere, presumably during the war, if they aren't drifting around the moon, and I don't think that Angela Deth is going to shoot any down. Granted, the Barsoom-style desert motif and the Project Darwin martian lifeforms would, separately, not enjoy the wet and snow of Colorado.
I doubt it has any impact at all.
[/quote]
I'll take that to mean you think the writers didn't care about stepping on established concepts. Personally I hope that's true. Wl1 predates Doom, Fallout, Stalker, and Battle Fortress. You can't keep guns, mutants, and adventure away from new games.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » June 11th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Mole204 wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 3:50 pm
There aren't any for [swearing]
I'm absolutely for it. The original Kathy Lawson dialogue was far superior to the weaker, cleaned-up version.
Mole204 wrote:
What's real? Why not?
Deep.

But Serpioids are not real in the Wasteland universe. You might as well ask for Santa Claus, unicorns, and Dracula to be in the game because "Why not?" It would be stupid, that's why not.
Mole204 wrote:
Flying Saucers had to crash somewhere
Say what? :lol: You mean like Dracula's cape "has to be somewhere"?

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » June 11th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Mole204 wrote:
I think swearing is absolutely required.

By all means have people who don't swear, but removing it totally is just pandering.

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » June 11th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Zombra wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 6:48 pm
Mole204 wrote:
I'm absolutely for it. The original Kathy Lawson dialogue was far superior to the weaker, cleaned-up version.
Kathy Lawson, Ag Cent. I know nothing about that. Can you fill me in?
You could make the same case that the Thundercat Outtakes are hilarious, but that doesn't mean they're fit for a cartoon. I'd be willing to let pass the Fishlips swearing, blame it on demo reel inclusion, and cut everything else. Devs still get the ratings adjustment they aimed for, the garbage gets removed from the script, the players go on to play the rest of the game where the programmers are actually making some effort in the speech, everybody wins.
But Serpioids are not real in the Wasteland universe. You might as well ask for Santa Claus, unicorns, and Dracula to be in the game because "Why not?" It would be stupid, that's why not.
Well so are clowns, and look how that's turned out. Serpoids shouldn't be used to make this a wholly sci-fi game, they should be used to add more crazy fun monsters out of nowhere. Add a shootout of guns vs phasers. News to you, but the players keep winning! You have to challenge them with something dangerous enough! (I wanted to keep going until I managed to destroy those party-kill turret guns in the prison area, wl2.) Add a chance of the Rangers being stranded on the moon, or crashing to near-death in a busted saucer, MOTEKIM style. They were a big part of the paragraph book, very interesting and inventive, and with the off-chance of wl3 being the last wl game the devs should do it while they can. I'm reminded of the Yetis who rule the world from the Himalayas. Nonsense, but the story still touches on some interesting points. No survivors tell no tales. Santa Claus? Why not, it's snowing in 3. But is he partnered up with any Glow Angels? Do we save him or kill him like the Red Ryder? Perhaps a daring mission into the military remnants of NORAD, their Santa Tracking Mission resolved at last. Now to free Santa from the sub-sub-basement before he gets a crowbar for Christmas and wipes out the party like Gordan Freeman. Unicorns? Why not, wl2 desperately needed more variety in it's mutants. Those wl1 children looked a lot like elves. It's not a whole-game suggestion. It's not like the goats were all over the place in wl2. Just one small area, a hillside that'd be death to cross. "Everybody got stabbed to death by a horse!"
Mole204 wrote:
Flying Saucers had to crash somewhere
Say what? :lol: You mean like Dracula's cape "has to be somewhere"?
[/quote]
Say, we may need the fruit bat fetish to bribe him!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » June 11th, 2018, 10:59 pm

Mole204 wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 10:12 pm
Kathy Lawson, Ag Cent. I know nothing about that. Can you fill me in?
"Oh god. The door! They're breaking down the fucking door!!" Remember? That used to be an awesome scene. The sanitized version of it was a big disappointment.
Mole204 wrote:
You could make the same case that the Thundercat Outtakes are hilarious, but that doesn't mean they're fit for a cartoon.
So that's what you think Wasteland's audience is? 10-year-olds and you?
Mole204 wrote:
[I don't want the setting to have any theme or consistency whatsoever.]
That makes one of us.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » June 11th, 2018, 11:37 pm

@Mole204: I got some bad news for you:
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 16516.html

:mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » June 11th, 2018, 11:46 pm

Mole204 wrote:
I'd be willing to let pass the Fishlips swearing, blame it on demo reel inclusion, and cut everything else. Devs still get the ratings adjustment they aimed for, the garbage gets removed from the script, the players go on to play the rest of the game where the programmers are actually making some effort in the speech, everybody wins.
Forced swearing, just to be edgy for teenagers is pretty sad, but if the dialog is stressed, and plausible for the situation, I don't see what the problem is with having the swearing that people actually use when freaked out; it makes it a lot more credible than having the same scene with some panic-stricken person screaming out the 'G' rated version, in fear for their life. :?

BTW... What's wrong with just copying Fallout (yet again) just a bit more, and have a built in language filter? One that in the very least bleeps the dialog, or better done, substitutes lines that match the filter level?.

Speaking of games for Ten Year Old's... Here is one published by Lucas Arts with the F-bomb (but bleeped). :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmPqnKvbiiQ
(Technically it's rated T for Teen, but it hardly deserves it.)