Exploration!!!

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

MetalHeader
Initiate

Exploration!!!

Post by MetalHeader » February 19th, 2018, 5:01 pm

I tried to search the forums for this but couldn't find anything. I did not play the original so I don't know how exploration worked there, but I know it was one of the things that made Fallout special. I read that there is supposed to be a cloth map with some of the tiers so I'm a bit afraid that this will take some of the exploration element out of the game. One idea that I came up with while drinking my morning coffee was that you could include a map that was only topographical i.e. does not contain any places and then it is up to the player to mark the locations as he/she finds them. Or at least only include places close to your starting location to indicate that the player wasn't born yesterday. I know the fallout setting was kind of special since the player came from a vault and had never seen the light of day before, but I could think of a lot of scenarios that would induce the same starting point for wasteland 2(family/settlement killed by mutants, simply got lost in the desert, memory loss and so on).

I never signed up to a forum like this before. I frequented NMA for years but never posted(as far as I can remember). But here I can clearly see the worth of spending some of my time, at least if it helps making this game better. I must say that this has generated way more money than I could imagine in such a short while. Your fans has spoken and it is without doubt that you are on the right track with this project! Good speed!
Take a look at my gaming center:
There’s A Gaming Hotel In Taiwan And It’s Everything Dreams Are Made Of- http://bit.ly/2szgbf8

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: Exploration!!!

Post by Gizmo » February 19th, 2018, 8:36 pm

I think that if they shrink-wrap the map, then it won't be a problem if it details the names and layout of the gameworld; and it will be there for the player that opens the map after completing the game.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 20th, 2018, 1:31 pm

If I recall, the map didn't have placemarkers on it.

If it did, it's still not a huge deal as much of the exploration is inside the locations. To (sigh) parallel to Fallout, just because you know where Necropolis is doesn't mean that's going to help you in the game itself. Also, a map would probably only have major locations and not small ones. So, from WL2, it'd have Ag Center and Highpool but not Darwin or Leve L'upe Mine.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

fuzzyballs01
Acolyte

Post by fuzzyballs01 » March 4th, 2018, 12:07 am

that doesn't make sense though
you're playing as a Ranger party
the Rangers mark the map they're carrying, why would you even want to do that yourself? it'd be a waste of time, doing something you don't need to do

sear
Developer

Post by sear » March 4th, 2018, 6:11 am

Thanks for joining up! There's quite a few NMAers poking around here (not to mention Brother None, and myself to a lesser extent), so we hope you feel welcome. :D

The cloth map that comes with the game box hasn't been designed yet, but you've made a good point that it could spoil some of the game's locations. We'll certainly keep the feedback in mind.

As an aside, the game will feature several real-world locations (some more obscure and quirky than others). Hopefully people familiar with Colorado in the real world will be able to spot at least a few places they recognize. ;)