Give us Angela Deth!

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Give us Angela Deth!

Post by madmaxthc » December 26th, 2017, 5:03 pm

Hey, Wastelanders,

Does anybody want Angela Deth back? I'd love to find her in Wasteland 3, maybe changed into half an evolved. You could recruit her if you have high enough computer skill to bring her memory back... or something like that! Who's with me? :mrgreen:

Looking forward to the new game!
Max

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: Give us Angela Deth!

Post by Zombra » December 26th, 2017, 8:01 pm

A "mysterious crash, body never found" is certainly a classic hook for the return of a beloved character ... at the same time, the world of Wasteland is violent and arbitrary. Miraculous escapes and fake deaths seem less appropriate for this franchise. Sometimes when a helicopter crashes you just die and the body really is destroyed.

I wouldn't say no exactly, but I'd hope for a better story purpose than "Hey kids, an old favorite is back!"

RedC0met3
Initiate

Post by RedC0met3 » December 26th, 2017, 8:39 pm

I was a little heartbroken that I couldn't find her anywhere. I honestly just thought that I spent too long running around wrapping up side quests otherwise she'd be at the crash site.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » December 27th, 2017, 3:37 am

Zombra summed it up pretty good.
Plus: Someone coming from Arizona, crashing with a helicopter in California and is MIA for years. How would that one ever wind up in Colorado? That's totally in the opposite direction.
But then I liked the impulsive red-head, too. :D
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » December 27th, 2017, 9:30 am

Perhaps she has amnesia and walked in the wrong direction because she thought it would not be any different anywhere else? ^^
And maybe she is the Big Bad this time around, bringen the waste in the land to colorado. :D

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » December 27th, 2017, 10:14 am

Grohal wrote:
December 27th, 2017, 3:37 am
Someone coming from Arizona, crashing with a helicopter in California and is MIA for years. How would that one ever wind up in Colorado? That's totally in the opposite direction.
My first thought was she was captured by the cyborgs and her brain pattern was copied in a fiendish experiment before she died. They tried to transmit the pattern into a robot body to make the ultimate killing machine but something went wrong and the transmission got picked up by radio waves that bounced around the country. Meanwhile a clone facility in Colorado was doing similar transference experiments and a tech was playing the radio while working and the transmission burst into the room and "infected" whatever project they were working on. So at some point you're fighting an army of Frankensteins and the biggest strongest one suddenly goes, "Rangers??"

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » December 27th, 2017, 8:46 pm

LOL, I like the brainstorming :D Those are a few good ideas. A guy can dream, I guess :)

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » December 27th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Zombra wrote:
December 27th, 2017, 10:14 am
Grohal wrote:
December 27th, 2017, 3:37 am
Someone coming from Arizona, crashing with a helicopter in California and is MIA for years. How would that one ever wind up in Colorado? That's totally in the opposite direction.
My first thought was she was captured by the cyborgs and her brain pattern was copied in a fiendish experiment before she died. They tried to transmit the pattern into a robot body to make the ultimate killing machine but something went wrong and the transmission got picked up by radio waves that bounced around the country. Meanwhile a clone facility in Colorado was doing similar transference experiments and a tech was playing the radio while working and the transmission burst into the room and "infected" whatever project they were working on. So at some point you're fighting an army of Frankensteins and the biggest strongest one suddenly goes, "Rangers??"
Or martians, abductions, oh wait... :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » December 28th, 2017, 9:46 am

Grohal wrote:
December 27th, 2017, 10:26 pm
Or martians, abductions, oh wait... :mrgreen:
"Aliens are real, NEVER FORGET THAT" :roll:

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 29th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Zombra wrote:
December 27th, 2017, 10:14 am
Meanwhile a clone facility in Colorado was doing similar transference experiments and a tech was playing the radio while working and the transmission burst into the room and "infected" whatever project they were working on. So at some point you're fighting an army of Frankensteins and the biggest strongest one suddenly goes, "Rangers??"
Yeah, but then they'd probably make Cochise the main villain of 3, too. And that well is dry.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Mole204
Explorer

Post by Mole204 » January 1st, 2018, 12:46 am

Making Angela Deth the/a bad guy: THAT's the pathetic attempt to beg favour by name-dropping. You can do better than that. Trapped on a cargo ship. Wounded and trying to get back, only to end up in a cryo tube. Working as a WL1 Librarian because everything blew up in WL2. She didn't loose faith, she's there to force some brains and skills into the younger generation. After all, there wasn't enough Ranger HQ for everyone. Or she's trapped on the crashed hulk of one of the Cold War weapon platforms and she's very slowly gathering the parts she needs from the random encounter robot guards. You can't build a transmitter radio out of JUST a pile of broken slicerdicers. Or she's locked in a secret government undersea mining habitat by the mutant He-Man-cartoon-worthy mermen. Or she talked to Snake between games and is now off to find east America. Or Canada. If all else fails, stick her in Meantime.

Cochise is clearly defeated, but I wouldn't mind an invasion of the martian-meant Mailed Wolves. It'd be a good reason for Angela to show up with a "I came to warn you!" mission. Riding ahead of 500 Carapaced Coyotes who want to express their displeasure about that thing that happened. WL2 was too involved with saving dirt farmers to get into the really _strange_ threats. Hopefully WL3 will bring back the sci-fi. And Angela Deth will kill it.

fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Post by fuzzyballs01 » January 4th, 2018, 1:02 am

that would just ruin the game for me
because it'd be so gosh darn tootin stupid

Mole204
Explorer

Post by Mole204 » January 5th, 2018, 9:27 pm

fuzzyballs01 wrote:
January 4th, 2018, 1:02 am
That Angela returns, or something that someone else said? Something that I said?
500 enemies might make more sense on WL1 then on the crash prone WL2. Such challenges as defeat a horde of enemies AND keep your hero NPC alive were entertainment in those days.
I disregarded as it being stupid:
AD being lost and wandering the wilderness with no memory of who she was or how she got there. AD being kidnapped by Roswell Greys, or Serpoids. AD joining a hippie cult. AD joining the Nancies. AD running the local Hobo Dog stand. AD being the HQ's weaponry officer would be acceptable, as long as she could give a Sarah Conner vibe. AD betraying Snake and taking over the Rangers for evil. AD being a cyborg construct in a not surprizing surprize, that sort of thing is overused.
It's too bad that WL2 can't patch in a new game, like Starcraft's Brood Wars or Warcraft's Black Portal. A story gap between 2 and 3 could be filled that way. AD crashed in a helicopter, the helicopter was recovered by the cyborgs/robots, no sign of AD. And after the long list of using "whoops, he's dead there's a grave." as the method of namedropping characters from WL1, it'd be a good idea to be keeping AD and Snake alive. It's everyone ELSE who's out to get killed! :)

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 6th, 2018, 1:00 pm

It's over 1000 between Seal Beach, CA and Boulder, CO. I wouldn't expect a half-dead Angela to manage that walk.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » January 10th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Love seeing the theories. ;)

fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Post by fuzzyballs01 » March 4th, 2018, 12:02 am

Mole204 wrote:
January 5th, 2018, 9:27 pm
fuzzyballs01 wrote:
January 4th, 2018, 1:02 am
That Angela returns, or something that someone else said? Something that I said?
you should have just assumed I meant the title and first post
you know
the obvious thing to assume since I didn't quote or had any other posts in this thread
I still say it's stupid to have someone who, while not officially dead, was in a heli crash, and decides to just "walk it off" into Colorado
she's a ranger
she'd know better, she'd know to try to contact base, she'd have a radio by the time you arrived and found the LA Ranger base and either go there or wait at a hotspot, knowing you'd come along
having her just randomly appear in the next game would just piss me off, just leave her status to "may be dead"

Mole204
Explorer

Post by Mole204 » March 13th, 2018, 3:22 am

It's understandable that you wouldn't want another carpet-yank of a scene. "Here's her death scene- whoops, no it's not because we can't commit to a scene."
But there was too much of that in WL2- everybody was already dead, or worse if you count Vax the glass robot.
But the how of it, and how to make it believable, I think that is possible. With so much cyborging going on, what's a few limbs anymore? Gathering a few aught to make for a good side quest. Do you get used goods for her? Where do you get freshly made cyborg limbs? An exploration of the difference between prosthetic and cyborg limbs? Does she end up with two left feet? "Well if if isn't my old friend Mr. McGreg. With a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!"
Of course, given how things tended to go in wl2, there was already ample reason for a controller to hate Player One Team. Anyway, getting back to Deth's Death, it's not a cheap not-death, it's character conservation! And how would it play out? Her broken, bleeding body could be salvaged by the people who's house she crashed near, or one of the other more believable scenarios I mentioned in my previous post. We know the robots salvaged the helicopter, it'd be a good return to WL1 to have her body taken to one of the WL1 style doctors. "Anything other than dead is fixable!"

Geist1
Initiate

Post by Geist1 » April 9th, 2018, 6:23 pm

I'd like her back. She's supposed to be a tough as nails veteran Ranger. At least maybe she could be nursed back to health after the crash by some locals and became part of some resistance group in the LA region since she didn't know the area. They took her in and took care of her til she was able to lend a helping hand. In WL3 maybe you could get in radio contact with her if anything and at least know her fate. I look at her as part of Team Echo now, even though I had a feeling she wasn't going to stick around forever. She was a great team mate, until I could get the skills of my Rangers to her level and beyond. She's missed in tough combat situations, but the team endures.

Even if it's just occasional radio chatter, and I wanna know her fate. Maybe there could be some sort of connection between events in LA and new events in Colorado and you can feed each other intel over the radio. I don't want some cheap a$$ she got capture and turned into some synth or cyborg and is now the enemy (a la Star Craft) kind of shenanigan. If they do bring her back, she better be some Sarah Connor, a$$ kicking, cyborg slaying, tough soldier b---h. Here's to hoping she survived.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » April 10th, 2018, 8:18 am

Give us Angela or Give us Deth!

Wait...did someone crack that same joke already?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 16th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Latest update mentions a "mystery ranger" from Wasteland 2. Personally, I hope it's Vulture's Cry, but it's probably gonna be Angie. Ah well.
Alwa nasci korliri das.