Bigger party,more ammo drops,reduce weight and etc...

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Captain_Bonecold
Novice

Re: Bigger party,more ammo drops,reduce weight and etc...

Post by Captain_Bonecold » November 7th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Grohal wrote:
November 7th, 2017, 3:13 am
Captain_Bonecold wrote:
November 7th, 2017, 1:32 am
Grohal wrote:
November 4th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Yeah. They train and get better (like in game they gain levels) - and if you raise strength when leveling - tata - your ranger can carry more ammo.
Why are you focus on 1 option I suggest for ammo. I post 2 options. No weight or all ammo weight .001.
Well I take option 3 - ammo should weigh, what it weighs (roughly) in reality.
I rather ammo weight nothing or all ammo weight .001.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » November 7th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Captain_Bonecold wrote:
November 7th, 2017, 1:12 pm
Why? —I mean specifically. Doesn't that seem like cheating?

*The obvious (perhaps too obvious to be true) reason would seem to be a desire to always be able to shoot regardless, and despite firing more rounds than any three people can plausibly carry; and all while giving up nothing significant... no trade offs to enable having that much ammo. No worries about not being able to keep found loot, without dropping extra ammo. It seems like the ultimate in 'having one's cake and eating it too; along with any other cakes found on the way'.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » November 7th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Captain_Bonecold wrote:
You can want anything and everything, but I'll tell you right now that you're extremely unlikely to get it.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » November 7th, 2017, 11:40 pm

Captain_Bonecold wrote:
Grohal wrote:
Captain_Bonecold wrote:
November 7th, 2017, 1:32 am

Why are you focus on 1 option I suggest for ammo. I post 2 options. No weight or all ammo weight .001.
Yeah, I guess that WOULD be ok - along with many of your other wishes - if there was an... how do I put that - UN-Iron-Man Mode. Where you can create as many rangers of the total group as you want, distributing as many attribute- and skillpoints as you like and having an unlimited inventory in which everything weighs nothing. I don't want to see any of that in a "regular" difficulty.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Captain_Bonecold
Novice

Post by Captain_Bonecold » November 8th, 2017, 10:20 am

Gizmo wrote:
November 7th, 2017, 3:58 pm
Captain_Bonecold wrote:
Why? —I mean specifically. Doesn't that seem like cheating?

*The obvious (perhaps too obvious to be true) reason would seem to be a desire to always be able to shoot regardless, and despite firing more rounds than any three people can plausibly carry; and all while giving up nothing significant... no trade offs to enable having that much ammo. No worries about not being able to keep found loot, without dropping extra ammo. It seems like the ultimate in 'having one's cake and eating it too; along with any other cakes found on the way'.
The gun weight,armor weight,clothing weight,medical weight, trinkets weight are engough to worry about.

Captain_Bonecold
Novice

Post by Captain_Bonecold » November 8th, 2017, 11:07 am

Grohal wrote:
November 7th, 2017, 11:40 pm
Captain_Bonecold wrote:
Grohal wrote:

Yeah, I guess that WOULD be ok - along with many of your other wishes - if there was an... how do I put that - UN-Iron-Man Mode. Where you can create as many rangers of the total group as you want, distributing as many attribute- and skillpoints as you like and having an unlimited inventory in which everything weighs nothing. I don't want to see any of that in a "regular" difficulty.
How is 2 extra rangers op? The answer is not. Just because you have six level 1 rangers doesn't mean you can take on the entire world. I didn't say unlimited weight. Get your facts straight. I don't want infinity skill points or infinity stat points. I want better perks. Most perks are junk. I want better factors for luck,outdoorsdoorman,animal whisper,Intelligence,energy weapons and barter. 4,8,10 are bonus skill points. Intelligence deserve a bigger bonus all other stats wasten't 4 to improve something. Why should intelligence deserve a dumb down? It didn't. Intelligence deserve a bonus. I say for each point in intelligence the more skill points you get. If speed,luck,strength ,awareness,coordination and charisma gets bonus per point, then intelligence should improve per point. If I'm losing a chance for improve con,dodge,hit chance, action point, carry weight,combat speed and etc. Then Intelligence better damn be worth it. Not this bs system we have now where you get 1 extra skill point at 4,8 and 10 intelligence. The game forces most NPC's to be built a certain way. There was only 3 useful NPC's in Wasteland 2 director cut. The 3 useful are Rose,Angela and Ralphy. Angela for her high lv at start of game. Rose for her 10 intelligence and rank 4 surgeon skill. Ralphy for his perk and toaster skill.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » November 8th, 2017, 11:20 am

Captain_Bonecold wrote:
November 8th, 2017, 10:20 am
The gun weight,armor weight,clothing weight,medical weight, trinkets weight are engough to worry about.
Not really, except for the medical weight. Unlike weapons, armour, clothing, and trinkets, you can use up your current supply of ammunition and be seriously hosed as a result. As a gameplay element, this means you should always be keeping an eye on your ammunition and feel obliged to carry as much ammunition as possible. This can lead to situations where you have to make a difficult decision between a handful of ammo or some other object, since you don't have enough weight capacity for both.

In practice, this doesn't always work - I can't remember anyone complaining about the weight of ammunition in Wasteland 2 besides you, so I don't think it ever changed gameplay much. But the solution to this problem, if any, is to increase ammo weight, not remove it.

Medical weight can also have this effect (though it generally didn't), but weapon, armour, clothing, and trinket weight does not because you generally only need to carry one of each per character. If any weights should be removed, we should start with these, since they don't actually result in any interesting decision-making; no weapons or armour have weight differing enough to make people reconsider switching up to the next tier, so they don't actually force people to decide what they want to carry in their inventory.
Intelligence deserve a bigger bonus all other stats wasten't 4 to improve something. Why should intelligence deserve a dumb down? It didn't. Intelligence deserve a bonus. I say for each point in intelligence the more skill points you get. If speed,luck,strength ,awareness,coordination and charisma gets bonus per point, then intelligence should improve per point. If I'm losing a chance for improve con,dodge,hit chance, action point, carry weight,combat speed and etc. Then Intelligence better damn be worth it. Not this bs system we have now where you get 1 extra skill point at 4,8 and 10 intelligence.
I actually thought Intelligence was balanced fairly well against the other attributes. Skill points are extremely important. While I do think there's merit to making every point in Intelligence affect the skill points a ranger gets, such a change would have to be matched against a much higher cost for skill advancement.

Captain_Bonecold
Novice

Post by Captain_Bonecold » November 8th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Stuurminator wrote:
November 8th, 2017, 11:20 am
Captain_Bonecold wrote:
Not really, except for the medical weight. Unlike weapons, armour, clothing, and trinkets, you can use up your current supply of ammunition and be seriously hosed as a result. As a gameplay element, this means you should always be keeping an eye on your ammunition and feel obliged to carry as much ammunition as possible. This can lead to situations where you have to make a difficult decision between a handful of ammo or some other object, since you don't have enough weight capacity for both.

In practice, this doesn't always work - I can't remember anyone complaining about the weight of ammunition in Wasteland 2 besides you, so I don't think it ever changed gameplay much. But the solution to this problem, if any, is to increase ammo weight, not remove it.

Medical weight can also have this effect (though it generally didn't), but weapon, armour, clothing, and trinket weight does not because you generally only need to carry one of each per character. If any weights should be removed, we should start with these, since they don't actually result in any interesting decision-making; no weapons or armour have weight differing enough to make people reconsider switching up to the next tier, so they don't actually force people to decide what they want to carry in their inventory.
Intelligence deserve a bigger bonus all other stats wasten't 4 to improve something. Why should intelligence deserve a dumb down? It didn't. Intelligence deserve a bonus. I say for each point in intelligence the more skill points you get. If speed,luck,strength ,awareness,coordination and charisma gets bonus per point, then intelligence should improve per point. If I'm losing a chance for improve con,dodge,hit chance, action point, carry weight,combat speed and etc. Then Intelligence better damn be worth it. Not this bs system we have now where you get 1 extra skill point at 4,8 and 10 intelligence.
I actually thought Intelligence was balanced fairly well against the other attributes. Skill points are extremely important. While I do think there's merit to making every point in Intelligence affect the skill points a ranger gets, such a change would have to be matched against a much higher cost for skill advancement.
Intelligence is way under power. 4,8 and 10 is only way you get extra points in past wasteland games. In a game that makes every stat point count that a bs thing to do to intelligence. I'm the only one with guts to go against the wasteland fanboys at keeping things wasteland 1. Wasteland 1 sucked and that why it died off. That why wasteland 2 change things. I want a better wasteland game. Not ego stroking fanboy wasteland. I don't want a wasteland game every year. I stood up against assassin creed, fallout fanboys and etc fanboys. And I'll do the same to wasteland fanboys too.
Just from 5 rank 1 Med packs it 1 pound of weight. Then you have all surgeon kits weight. My energy weapon ammo weight too much. Medical,surgeon and energy ammo I'm sitting at 40 or more pounds and that without armor.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 8th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Stuurminator wrote:
I only had two characters worry about ammo weight: an energy/shotgun character because energy ammo was very heavy, and a 1 Str sniper who was generally maxed out carrying about 30 rounds or so once the sniper rifles and ammo got really high. But it made me consider what I was bringing along and what other characters were carrying. It added complexity to a pretty simple game, so I'd hate to see it go.

Especially considering how much they stripped it down in the first place.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » November 8th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Captain_Bonecold wrote:
November 8th, 2017, 12:11 pm
Intelligence is way under power. 4,8 and 10 is only way you get extra points in past wasteland games. In a game that makes every stat point count that a bs thing to do to intelligence. I'm the only one with guts to go against the wasteland fanboys at keeping things wasteland 1. Wasteland 1 sucked and that why it died off. That why wasteland 2 change things. I want a better wasteland game. Not ego stroking fanboy wasteland. I don't want a wasteland game every year. I stood up against assassin creed, fallout fanboys and etc fanboys. And I'll do the same to wasteland fanboys too.
Just from 5 rank 1 Med packs it 1 pound of weight. Then you have all surgeon kits weight. My energy weapon ammo weight too much. Medical,surgeon and energy ammo I'm sitting at 40 or more pounds and that without armor.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
As if our ego's were ever stroked. Have you seen how little of the original game made it into the 2nd. Heck even the majority of the NPC's from the original were killed off, and that has nothing to do with the technology.

Wasteland 2 changed things because the original game was released in 1988, and that style of game just won't cut it today. If anything the only thing you are avoiding stroking, are the fans of WL2. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In fact pretty much the only element that has any nod back to the original that we have argued for is the 4 + 3 party mix. And honestly we had to fight hard for that, cause every man and his dog wanted a fallout lonely wanderer ranger.

Thus far, your arguments have not had much substance. Most of your points boil down to "It's easier".
It might be that we are missing something because english is clearly not your first language. But every time we ask for more info on why you want something a certain way, you basically don't give a reason other than "I want it".
We are all pretty open to discussions, but we need something more than "I think this is better" give us the reasons you think it is better.

The Party structure is 4+3 mostly because of the original game. However there was a lot of discussion about the "4 person party" being the best number. Most of us treated that with derision but in that case the opinions of the original fans and the devs matched up. Unlike Bard's Tale.

Ammo has weight to make it a source of potential decision making. IE do I take more ammo or do I take all the loot? It is tied in with all weight considerations. Because Ammunition is not some magically replenishing thing that you can pull out of your arse in the middle of combat.

Intelligence is something that a lot of us somewhat agree with. We think the Skill point by intelligence method is flawed, and we also agree that some levels of intelligence are essentially useless compared to others. You will actually see a couple of discussions around here of possible solutions to the Intelligence issue.

Ultimately though the Devs Balanced the game in a certain way. If you are finding your particular character mix isn't working, then perhaps you need to modify it.
The game doesn't punish you for Minmaxing, but if you Min Max, you will end up with clone boring characters. Good for you, if that's what you want go for it, no one is going to stop you. But Minmaxing comes with trade offs. If you reduce your strength in favour of Intelligence, then you will have weight problems.
You don't need super perfect characters to play through the game. There are enough different ways to get through most situations, that so long as you are relatively competent in combat and have a degree of healing ability, you will be able to win. But some of the cool side stuff requires some extra skills and abilities. These are the gives and takes that InXile added in to allow for replayability.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » November 8th, 2017, 11:35 pm

Captain_Bonecold wrote:
Intelligence is powerful because, outside of minor one-off sources like initial creation, statues, and books, it is the only way by which you increase skills, and skills are the backbone of your every dice-affected interaction with the world.

One-SP-per-Intelligence-point may have flown back in the old days of learn-by-doing and you could substitute attributes for most skill checks, but that's not the case now. Under the current system, your suggest would be for characters with max Intelligence to have ten times the skills of characters with minimum Intelligence.

The people arguing with you aren't doing so because they're Wasteland fanboys, nor are they doing so because you're "the only one with guts" to say the game is too hard. This board is full of posters complaining about one mechanic or another, myself included. The difference is that other posters have a basic understanding of how the game's mechanics work and the balance considerations (however flawed) that went into them.

You're demanding to have a larger party made up of characters with more attribute points, more skills, more and stronger perks, easier access to ammo, and virtually no meaningful restrictions on inventory weight. If people disagree with you, it's not because they want the game to stroke their egos.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » November 9th, 2017, 2:31 am

Captain_Bonecold wrote:
Stuurminator wrote:
Captain_Bonecold wrote:

Wasteland 1 is a truly classic, influental game and it received (in it's time of course) better reviews than Wasteland 2 did.
Of course ammo for energyweapons does weigh much, you need a damn big battery or do you power your energy weapons with solar energy or windpower?
I never had any issues in Wasteland 2 DC on SJ with weigth and I looted EVERYTHING I could put my hands on. And that without having any char with strength 10 or something. I NEVER had to leave behing anything... I can't even begin to understand how you play that this is an issue.

As for the rest, I already told my opinion on that, on some things several times so I won't repeat myself. Any feedback is valuable of course, so keep going, even if most here have a different view of things. :)
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Thomas de Ville
Initiate

Post by Thomas de Ville » November 9th, 2017, 11:32 am

In my opinion is no ammo weight a no go for this game(or any good rpg), it would be in the end the same as fallout 4 without survival mod
(Tons of ammo for all weapons) it kills the atmosphere.
So I´m on the side of Grohal.

Captain_Bonecold
Novice

Post by Captain_Bonecold » November 9th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Stuurminator wrote:
November 8th, 2017, 11:35 pm
Captain_Bonecold wrote:
Intelligence is powerful because, outside of minor one-off sources like initial creation, statues, and books, it is the only way by which you increase skills, and skills are the backbone of your every dice-affected interaction with the world.

One-SP-per-Intelligence-point may have flown back in the old days of learn-by-doing and you could substitute attributes for most skill checks, but that's not the case now. Under the current system, your suggest would be for characters with max Intelligence to have ten times the skills of characters with minimum Intelligence.

The people arguing with you aren't doing so because they're Wasteland fanboys, nor are they doing so because you're "the only one with guts" to say the game is too hard. This board is full of posters complaining about one mechanic or another, myself included. The difference is that other posters have a basic understanding of how the game's mechanics work and the balance considerations (however flawed) that went into them.

You're demanding to have a larger party made up of characters with more attribute points, more skills, more and stronger perks, easier access to ammo, and virtually no meaningful restrictions on inventory weight. If people disagree with you, it's not because they want the game to stroke their egos.

Do you understand the stats in wasteland? Lets break it down for you. So you and the others can understand my point.

Coordination: +1 = +1% ranged hit bonus. +2 = +1 action point

Luck: +1 = +1% critical chance. +2 = +1% evade. Chance to get bonus con per lev up. Chance for bonus Action point in combat.

Awarness: +1 = +1 combat initiative. +2 = +1% chance to evade and +1 Range view.

Strength: +4 = +1 action point. +1 = +12 Ibs. Carry Weight,+.1 Bonus Melee Crit. Mult. and +3 Con. +2 = +1 Con per level.

Speed: +4 = +1 action point. +1 = +.01 Combat Speed and +1% evade. +2 = +1 Combat initiative.

Intelligence: +4 = +1 action point. 4,8,10= +1 bonus skill.

Charisma: +1 = +5% Non-Combat Xp Bonus and +2m Leadership Radius.

Bonus for 1 point per stat of other stat. Intelligence is punch in the face.

Play wasteland 2 and then tell me when you get NPC's. Rogue chance at 5% happens more often then it's suppose to.

2 extra Rangers aren't going to be able to beat a final boss at level 1.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » November 9th, 2017, 7:48 pm

Captain_Bonecold wrote:
November 9th, 2017, 2:06 pm
Do you understand the stats in wasteland? Lets break it down for you. So you and the others can understand my point.
You think Intelligence is weak because it doesn't give a benefit at every level. We understand that point. However, we also understand that the benefits that Intelligence provides at 4, 8, and 10 - skill points - outweigh the benefits provided at each single rank of any other attribute.

Skill points allow you to shoot weapons accurately, swing weapons accurately, throw fists accurately, disarm alarms, hack computers, disarm explosives, perform first aid and surgery, pick locks, crack safes, repair mechanical devices and toasters, modify weapons, barter economically, navigate the outdoors, see the unseen, charm people, outsmart people, threaten people, whisper to animals, and bust things with brute force.

These skills are the means by which you interact with all challenge in the world. They are what you use to overcome obstacles and accomplish your goals. These skills are the most important things on your character sheet. You know what benefit Coordination, Luck, Awareness, Strength, Speed, and Charisma provide to these skills? Well, Luck provides a bonus to most noncombat rolls and Coordination provides a bonus to ranged attack rolls, but even a 10 in these scores provide only a very small bonus that is outweighed by even a couple of levels. If you got a skill point for every point of intelligence, then you would have to be an idiot not to put every single ranger's intelligence at 10, every single time, because intelligence affects everything a character can do.

Oh, wait! I almost forgot to list the Leadership skill up there. But I'm in good company, because you also apparently forgot that it can be used to prevent an NPC from going rogue. You learn this sort of thing when you play Wasteland 2 and get NPCs (or "NPC's").

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 10th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Captain_Bonecold wrote:
Play wasteland 2 and then tell me when you get NPC's. Rogue chance at 5% happens more often then it's suppose to.
In three complete playthroughs between Vanilla and DC, I think I've had an NPC go rogue maybe twice.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Godfather101
Explorer

Post by Godfather101 » November 10th, 2017, 11:59 pm

I got 2 playthroughs (one vanilla, one DC) and had a Npc ho rogue once.
In my first playthrough.
Never happened to me again after that.

Captain_Bonecold
Novice

Post by Captain_Bonecold » November 11th, 2017, 3:13 pm

Stuurminator wrote:
November 9th, 2017, 7:48 pm
Captain_Bonecold wrote:
You think Intelligence is weak because it doesn't give a benefit at every level. We understand that point. However, we also understand that the benefits that Intelligence provides at 4, 8, and 10 - skill points - outweigh the benefits provided at each single rank of any other attribute.

Skill points allow you to shoot weapons accurately, swing weapons accurately, throw fists accurately, disarm alarms, hack computers, disarm explosives, perform first aid and surgery, pick locks, crack safes, repair mechanical devices and toasters, modify weapons, barter economically, navigate the outdoors, see the unseen, charm people, outsmart people, threaten people, whisper to animals, and bust things with brute force.

These skills are the means by which you interact with all challenge in the world. They are what you use to overcome obstacles and accomplish your goals. These skills are the most important things on your character sheet. You know what benefit Coordination, Luck, Awareness, Strength, Speed, and Charisma provide to these skills? Well, Luck provides a bonus to most noncombat rolls and Coordination provides a bonus to ranged attack rolls, but even a 10 in these scores provide only a very small bonus that is outweighed by even a couple of levels. If you got a skill point for every point of intelligence, then you would have to be an idiot not to put every single ranger's intelligence at 10, every single time, because intelligence affects everything a character can do.

Oh, wait! I almost forgot to list the Leadership skill up there. But I'm in good company, because you also apparently forgot that it can be used to prevent an NPC from going rogue. You learn this sort of thing when you play Wasteland 2 and get NPCs (or "NPC's").
I mention leadership if you readed the full topic. Leadership ship rank 10 is 50% Max. There are NPC's with 70% chance to go rogue. You think everyone running around at 10 intelligence. 90% of all ranger squads has 1 skill guru. One ranger with 10 intelligence. Min squad intelligence for most CaC rangers is 4. There are NPC's with 2 and 3 intelligence. Let this drill in. All other stats can be used later on. 10,20,30,40 and 50 you can add 1 point into all other stats and get the max results. Skill points don't add on if you add points to intelligence. 40 level ups and 4 stat points dump into intelligence is a waste for 10 extra skill points at lv 50.

My idea to boost intelligence makes putting that extra stat point into intelligence worth it.

Everything in wasteland has a skill. If they add vehicles they would add a vehicle skill. Turning 29 skills to 30 skills. There could be 71 new skills.

Just because you have 6 rangers doesn't mean the game going to be a walk in the park. Bigger squads could mean larger enemy encounters. I want more enemies with my +2 rangers. I find these 3 raider squads small. I want more enemies. I want higher ranks outdoorsman to offer better merchants and higher level enemies.

I want luck to offer better loot chances. I want all starting stats to be 4. That way I can keep luck at 4.

Captain_Bonecold
Novice

Post by Captain_Bonecold » November 11th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Drool wrote:
November 10th, 2017, 5:47 pm
Captain_Bonecold wrote:
In three complete playthroughs between Vanilla and DC, I think I've had an NPC go rogue maybe twice.

Angela went rogue 7 times already. 5% rogue chance. I restarted my file. I mess up on my builds and save file.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 11th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Captain_Bonecold wrote:
November 11th, 2017, 3:15 pm
Angela went rogue 7 times already. 5% rogue chance. I restarted my file. I mess up on my builds and save file.
So give someone level 1 in Leadership?

I mean, it's not that difficult to build a balanced party. Strong Melee, High Charisma Leader/Talker, Sniper or AR Glass Cannon, Big Brain Medic/Doctor. I've had much success with variants on that party.
Alwa nasci korliri das.