How much of Tides?

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

draxdeveloper
Initiate

How much of Tides?

Post by draxdeveloper » October 7th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Wasteland 3 will use any of the tides of numenera concepts(gameplay concepts)?
Last edited by draxdeveloper on October 8th, 2017, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grohal
Adventurer

Re: How much of Tides?

Post by Grohal » October 8th, 2017, 1:37 am

What? I don't think so. First time I hear that.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

draxdeveloper
Initiate

Post by draxdeveloper » October 8th, 2017, 7:09 am

i am no saying the tides itself, but concepts used in tides of numenera

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » October 8th, 2017, 9:58 am

Well, I am not sure this would add something to the game/franchise. I think they should improve what they have and take WL1 more into the account with things that weren't so good in WL2.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

draxdeveloper
Initiate

Post by draxdeveloper » October 10th, 2017, 10:42 pm

There is a bunch of stuff that would be nice.
Take the crises system, ok, it's a non combat focused system. But the concept that you can mess with stuff around you, try to talk, try to sneak off is a really nice one.
Ok, maybe is should be revised since Wasteland is a little more combat focused that Tides.

Also, you don't need to use the tides concept itself, but you can make something similar with different names, why not?
The thing is, with a tide-like concept you can define who you character always was and how he is developing. The game knows that you are fascinated with knowledge or that you are justice driven.
To me, this is one of the best "karma system" to date, and is not hard to see it applied in other games.

Probably there is other stuff (and they will use part of the tides dialogue system) but what I am asking is what more they will use from Tides, from a game design perspective.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » October 21st, 2017, 12:07 pm

We certainly aren't going full-on Torrment for our combat design, and not every fight will be a big set-piece or feature objectives like Torment did. However, that increased level of complexity and environment interactivity during combat is something we absolutely want to build on.

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » October 21st, 2017, 3:32 pm

sear wrote:
October 21st, 2017, 12:07 pm
We certainly aren't going full-on Torrment for our combat design, and not every fight will be a big set-piece or feature objectives like Torment did. However, that increased level of complexity and environment interactivity during combat is something we absolutely want to build on.
Will the ratio of combat to non-combat gameplay be similar or higher?

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » November 6th, 2017, 9:55 pm

WL2 did try to have a bunch of shootouts in places like factories and stuff, but mostly ended up being "different fight, different place"- easy to to be a bit blase' about since the decorating themes often don't impress by themselves. The set-piece shootouts were less of a puzzle and more of a place you're passing through- If you're lucky. Worn down by the annoying parts of the random encounter areas, I think. The enemies were often more attention-getting than the places. But Tides did get a lot of imaginative stuff that WL2 didn't. Also the Tides of Numenera did a better job of looking retro then WL2 did.
Adding a few Tides characters and ideas might be frowned on nowadays, since copyrights are better attended to than "in the depths of some game you can walk through a wall and find/find description of X character" as was common in earlier years. There was something to be said for the "no one cares about video games" era, as the programmers would often throw in as much entertainment as they had time to create.
Too bad, that. There's usually a part in a game where the player managed to gather, beg/borrow/steal, grind, just plain manage to get unstoppable. Being jumped by a truckload of Numens might be pretty fun and lead to some interesting loot. Very interesting loot, given the sci-fi of Tides.
"Hello, Numen."

Euclidean
Novice

Post by Euclidean » November 8th, 2017, 7:23 am

Mole204 wrote:
November 6th, 2017, 9:55 pm
WL2 did try to have a bunch of shootouts in places like factories and stuff, but mostly ended up being "different fight, different place"- easy to to be a bit blase' about since the decorating themes often don't impress by themselves. The set-piece shootouts were less of a puzzle and more of a place you're passing through- If you're lucky. Worn down by the annoying parts of the random encounter areas, I think. The enemies were often more attention-getting than the places. But Tides did get a lot of imaginative stuff that WL2 didn't. Also the Tides of Numenera did a better job of looking retro then WL2 did.
Adding a few Tides characters and ideas might be frowned on nowadays, since copyrights are better attended to than "in the depths of some game you can walk through a wall and find/find description of X character" as was common in earlier years. There was something to be said for the "no one cares about video games" era, as the programmers would often throw in as much entertainment as they had time to create.
Too bad, that. There's usually a part in a game where the player managed to gather, beg/borrow/steal, grind, just plain manage to get unstoppable. Being jumped by a truckload of Numens might be pretty fun and lead to some interesting loot. Very interesting loot, given the sci-fi of Tides.
"Hello, Numen."

Here you are walking around wasteland 3 when all of a suddenly a maw opens up and a young girl steps out shouting "We're finally home Ahl!" :D

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » November 8th, 2017, 11:39 am

'Not the strangest thing you've seen. Not the strangest thing you've seen in a toaster. Hopefully, not the strangest thing to be found in WL3. Not the strangest Quantum Leap to be made either.