Multiples uses of the skills

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Multiples uses of the skills

Post by Drool » October 16th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Grohal wrote:
October 16th, 2017, 12:48 am
I at least can't think of a way. Also I am not sure anyone would want to play it this way today (grinding as you call it).
By and large, you don't need to. I mean, I liked giving my Rangers Acrobatics, but it was hardly critical. Likewise, Climb was of pretty limited utility outside of... grinding levels.
How do you grind picklocking skills unless you open every lock you find from early game on or you live with that you are unable to get the high end security locks of the endgame open.
Same way you did otherwise? Switching to an MSPE-inspired system would do away with the hard percentile system WL2 uses. The first couple levels are easy, and by the point you hit 5 or so, you can mostly open anything. Eliminating catastrophic critical failures would also be needed.
Of course you could BUY those lacking skills with level up skill points. But that would mean not only would have CLASSIC be changed back to MSPE (or something completly new), but also the leveling would have to be more like in the original Wasteland. Meaning no level cap and more grind.
Yes. I want to go back to MSPE; never made any secret about it. Also, I don't see how that necessitates more grinding. Gear and equipment are far more important in WL1 than levels. Pretty much every door without a specific key/secpass can be blown open. And having a dozen points in Clip Pistol isn't going to help you against an Octotron.
For grinding combat skills there would have to be WAY more different random encounters like there were in WL2, else it becoms boring real fast.
WL2 had sufficient combats to support learn-by-doing. The problem with the random combat in the WL2 overland was that there was no point to actually fight them: they were a net loss to the player. The XP and loot gained didn't come close to making up for the ammo and healing potions used. Sadly, the overland combats are really nothing more than a skillpoint tax.
Meaning: more and more variant enemies, more and more variant combat zones
Well, yes, that's always welcome.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Grohal
Master

Re: Multiples uses of the skills

Post by Grohal » October 17th, 2017, 1:36 am

Drool wrote:
October 16th, 2017, 2:52 pm
WL2 had sufficient combats to support learn-by-doing. The problem with the random combat in the WL2 overland was that there was no point to actually fight them: they were a net loss to the player. The XP and loot gained didn't come close to making up for the ammo and healing potions used. Sadly, the overland combats are really nothing more than a skillpoint tax.

I agree on all, but this. On my last playthrough on SJ (until halfway through California) I grinded myself up to level 25 - 30 in Arizona through random combats. Not one of my rangers had a close combat weapon as first choice (I would only do that if the game gives free attacks to bypassers in combat and I REALLY HOPE they implent that in WL 3) only using them on enemies I could not gun down on their way into hand-to-hand combat. I was still swimming in ammo (and med supplies too) at the end of the game (I never used those heavy machine guns after the beta, useless ammo wasters).
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.