Weapon upgrading and modding

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Weapon upgrading and modding

Post by fuzzyballs01 » July 5th, 2017, 8:00 am

So I didn't find a thread about this yet (don't worry, it's going to be the second and last thread I'll start) so I figured I'd make one
I'd love it if weapon modding was expanded in two ways
1) weapon improvements and 2) selecting which weapon mod to attempt instead of getting random ones and quickloading until you get a good one

1) I like finding a weapon that happens to be one of my favourites (like a Browning Action Rifle or an FN-Fal) and not being able to use them because they're outclassed by something you can buy, so I'd like to suggest using spare weapon parts to improve any and all weapons you own
like say improve the stock for more accuracy to suit a late game weapon or improve the receiver or barrel or sights or trigger and such or even change ammo type and switch out that 5.56 for a .45 for more damage at the cost of accuracy
it doesn't even have to be a visual change, just a stats upgrade (and maybe even name them if it wouldn't be too much work to code in)
doing that gives you the basic "every weapon has the same potential" you don't see in any games, and you get to keep your M16

2) selecting a weapon mod to go for and not randomly getting a useless silencer or whatever, with a chance of success (failure gives you a tiny bit of scrap I guess) or selecting to go for weapon parts (to upgrade, as suggested in 1, not to sell to that one guy who gives you something for them)
maybe even get weapon parts when you fail or bonus weapon parts when you select weapon parts
you could even make weapon-type specific parts, you know?

oh also while I'm doing this, a meelee attack with ranged weapons
guy comes at you with a knife? forcibly shove the butt of your rifle down his throat, or skewer him with the bayonet

also keep up the good work and don't do the Bannerlord thing where they go "we'll try for end of 2016" and we're still waiting because apparently one guy from some untrusted source said they takes month long breaks for no reason

fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Re: Weapon upgrading and modding

Post by fuzzyballs01 » July 8th, 2017, 2:50 am

alright nvm then I guess

Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo » July 9th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Are we talking something like FO4 weapon upgrade system, where you can make parts for your weapons(and armor) from the stuff you scavange through out your journey?

fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Post by fuzzyballs01 » July 10th, 2017, 4:46 am

I said improve
not replace
I said any and all weapons
not all weapons of the same make
I'm saying "give every weapon the same end-game potential"

so no
I'm not talking about F4
I hate how F4 did it
it made every unique weapon not unique and just added a legendary skill

Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo » July 10th, 2017, 6:33 am

I actually thought that FO4 weapon/armor system was rather interesting and amazingly extensive, allowing what many asked for i.e. wastelands to arm themselves with a verity of crazy objects and unique combinations they find on their way (although, I assume its probably not whacky enough for my taste and they probably had to cut corners do to minimum requirement, but mods).

Anyway, assuming that you can look past the graphics/interface then it has the ability todo what you mentioned like mod stock and use caliber conversion kits, in some aspects it even offer more expansive options than what you could do in JA2 1.13. But i have no idea what you mean by improve. Improve how? you need to explain yourself better or at least offer an example for reference.

fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Post by fuzzyballs01 » July 11th, 2017, 7:57 am

my explanation is fine
you simply IMROVE STATS
numbers in the statistics, you know? it magically changes from 12 damage to 15
how is this so hard to grasp

you spend a type of currency, weapon scrap, to get a +1 barrel or a +1 stock/receiver/trigger/sights/whatever, or pay for an ammo conversion that will also edit the stats, like accuracy traded for damage
that's all I'm saying
that's not a difficult suggestion to understand

Fallout 4 just did it badly, especially the armour system where instead of pieces fitting together to make one whole set of body armour you got stuck with several pieces covering about 3 inches each and it just looked terrible

you get the weapon skill, you level it up, you collect weapon scrap by taking apart weapons (or you can go for weapon mods, which are a seperate thing), you spend weapon scrap to improve weapons according to your weapon skill level
but you do it balanced, in a way that you can only upgrade like 3/4 weapons out of your squad + followers 14 total, and ONLY so much to keep up with the current weapon stats
you can't go OP
you can't go upgrading late tier weaponry because there isn't much your weapon skill character can improve about it, ya dig?

that's my whole point
you don't just take a better barrel from another gun and put it on a non-compatible gun, you don't use duct tape and an alarm clock to build a night vision scope
you improve the stock weapon you have

I explained it fine