New features in WL3?

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Remo
Scholar

New features in WL3?

Post by Remo » April 24th, 2017, 3:57 am

I just stumbled on [this article](http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/28/130817 ... lease-date) about WL3, and I am feeling so repulsed by everything that I read..

What is this Multiplayer BS?! I don't care about synchronous or asynchronous play! The last things I wan't is yet another game system that is diluted for the sake of balance.

They are making a shorter game, but having a fucking blast with narrative multiplayer, immersive first person camera for dialogues, and awesome cinematic camera :shock: :? :oops:

Great, yet another console a-rpg ?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: New features in WL3?

Post by SagaDC » April 24th, 2017, 8:19 am

Remo wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 3:57 am
What is this Multiplayer BS?! I don't care about synchronous or asynchronous play! The last things I wan't is yet another game system that is diluted for the sake of balance.
I don't really care about it either, but it's hard to deny that there are a significant number of players out there who want this sort of thing. It's not like multiplayer elements in a single-player computer RPG is something new, since it was included in classic cRPGs like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights.
Remo wrote:
They are making a shorter game, but having a fucking blast with narrative multiplayer, immersive first person camera for dialogues, and awesome cinematic camera :shock: :? :oops:
Again, it's a low priority for me, but I can understand why they're doing it.

A lot of their dedicated backers told them that things like graphics were a low priority during the development of Wasteland 2, but they also have to worry about the reception that the game will get once it's available to normal customers. Many of those normal customers complained about things like graphics and game length.

They're sinking almost $10-million into the development of Wasteland 3. They can't afford to ignore the mass market entirely if they want to make that money back, so this time they've decided to put at least a bit more focus on graphics.
Remo wrote:
Great, yet another console a-rpg ?
No. The material that they've shown us so far indicates that the combat system is still a conventional turn-based tactical combat system. Much of the information provided about Wasteland 3 has also indicated that they're hoping to to improve the tactical-strategy side of the game as well, not just the graphical side.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » April 24th, 2017, 8:25 am

We have no plans on dumbing the game down. We know that depth and interesting gameplay and story are why people come to Wasteland. Baldur's Gate had multiplayer, fans have modded multiplayer into Fallout over the years, and Divinity: Original Sin is a title I think few would say was hurt by its multiplayer.

Multiplayer will mean we have to approach some things differently on both the tech and design ends, but everything we're doing is being interpreted through the Wasteland lens. With Wasteland 2 the goal was to update the original Wasteland gameplay for more modern standards, while for Wasteland 3 we are trying to build on and expand that design.

I highly suggest you take a look at our vision doc as it gives some more details on our plans for the direction of the game: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3LlgO ... 85TUE/view

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » April 24th, 2017, 8:37 am

SagaDC wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 8:19 am
Remo wrote:
I don't really care about it either, but it's hard to deny that there are a significant number of players out there who want this sort of thing. It's not like multiplayer elements in a single-player computer RPG is something new, since it was included in classic cRPGs like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights.
Not to mention Divinity: Original Sin most recently. That game has been immensely popular. Multi-player might have the side effect of allowing us to split our party up too which we couldn't do in Wasteland 2.